Oil and Oil Pump Question - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 05-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
yifu
Just Spooling Up

Oil and Oil Pump Question

Hey, all,
Does you guys oil pump get noisy after like 500 miles on new oil?
I did an oil change(with mobile 1 ep 5w30) 2 weeks ago and now my car already feels painful at high rpm and oil pump is very noisy especially cruising between 2k -3k rpm.

I can't beat it that hard: I do daily drive faster than 95% drivers out there, but I don't floor it every chance I get. However, my oil pump usually gets annoyingly loud very quickly and I usually have to change mine around every 1.5k - 2k cuz I just can't stand the oil pump noise.

My question is, when the oil pump gets loud, would you change it right away? or still stick with scheduled maintenance(3k every change) and will there be dmg?
What really makes the oil pump noisy? is it because of shearing? Are there any oil recommendation to "combat"/ resist this noise?
Or is this just a nature of the EVO? Maybe with any oil, the oil pump will whine after a few hundred miles?

Edit: I really don't wanna turn this into another which oil is the best thread. I just want first hand experience from you guys and which oil you guys used to combat this noise.
ETS UICP
ETS 3" Intercooler
Greddy Ti-C
RRE 3 Port

330/339 Tuned By [email protected]

TWM full replacements
Ohlins R/T
Rpf1 with 255/35/18 Hankook V12

2008 PB EVO X MR( Sold )
2004 350z( Totalled )

Last edited by yifu; 05-08-2015 at 08:14 PM.
yifu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
Og Neon
Just Spooling Up

My question is how do you know it is your oil pump that is making noise? Like how are you hearing this in the car at cruise?
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
yifu
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
My question is how do you know it is your oil pump that is making noise? Like how are you hearing this in the car at cruise?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qry6HutYQ

Here is a link that is very similar to mine, sound goes away after a oil change, but comes back after 500-800 miles after the new oil.
It is most noticeable between 2k -3k rpms
ETS UICP
ETS 3" Intercooler
Greddy Ti-C
RRE 3 Port

TWM full replacements
Ohlins R/T

2008 PB EVO X MR( Sold )
2004 350z( Totalled )

Old 05-09-2015, 01:13 AM   #4
Og Neon
Just Spooling Up

I suggest getting under the car and have someone else rev it up. I am not convinced that it is the oil pump, but it isn't my car though. I have heard plenty about the TC death whine and could it be that?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:37 AM   #5
yifu
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
I suggest getting under the car and have someone else rev it up. I am not convinced that it is the oil pump, but it isn't my car though. I have heard plenty about the TC death whine and could it be that?
Thanks man.
I am kind of surprised that this noise is not well known.
I had 2 evo x and both of them have this sound when oil is old.
It also have this sound when car is completely stationary.
Also, let's say this is Something more than just engine oil.. Why would it go away after an oil change?
ETS UICP
ETS 3" Intercooler
Greddy Ti-C
RRE 3 Port

TWM full replacements
Ohlins R/T

2008 PB EVO X MR( Sold )
2004 350z( Totalled )
Old 05-09-2015, 01:42 AM   #6
Og Neon
Just Spooling Up

I agree man, it is strange and I can see why you are saying oil pump. I just haven't seen any other posts about noisy oil chains. I have had my car for almost 8yrs and have resealed the oil pan 4 times plus another friends. It is something new for me so I am interested in learning more myself.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:57 AM   #7
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Yep, it's well known. I had this noise since 500 miles on the car brand new. There was a lot of threads on it. It is oil pump and it does go away after oil change. So now that we got that out of the way...

I just learned to live with it. Louder exhaust may be? Unless someone can recommend oil that would reduce the noise.

My car has 60k miles on it since I first heard the noise and it never changed. Still same noise since day 1.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 02:09 AM   #8
yifu
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanEvo2012 View Post
Yep, it's well known. I had this noise since 500 miles on the car brand new. There was a lot of threads on it. It is oil pump and it does go away after oil change. So now that we got that out of the way...

I just learned to live with it. Louder exhaust may be? Unless someone can recommend oil that would reduce the noise.

My car has 60k miles on it since I first heard the noise and it never changed. Still same noise since day 1.

Lol, ya, it had been the same for me as well, since I got my current evo 2 years ago.
I could live with it.. But it just make the car sounds very un-healthy ,even if I know it is just the oil pump.

I was opening this thread to see if anyone found an oil that could keep the noise away for more than 1k miles.. But I guess everyone might have get used to it, lol.
ETS UICP
ETS 3" Intercooler
Greddy Ti-C
RRE 3 Port

TWM full replacements
Ohlins R/T

2008 PB EVO X MR( Sold )
2004 350z( Totalled )
Old 05-09-2015, 05:00 AM   #9
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifu View Post
Lol, ya, it had been the same for me as well, since I got my current evo 2 years ago.
I could live with it.. But it just make the car sounds very un-healthy ,even if I know it is just the oil pump.

I was opening this thread to see if anyone found an oil that could keep the noise away for more than 1k miles.. But I guess everyone might have get used to it, lol.
I am somehow feeling like this is the case and everyone just out up with it. I heard some have replaced the pump multiple times and sound would still come back after very short period of time.

"just the oil pump" is like saying "just your heart"

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2015, 05:47 AM   #10
hydro
Just Spooling Up

Not trying to hijack but what are some signs that your oil pump is going out? Since it's common for them to make noise when they're healthy..
hydro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement