Power steering and charging system failure at startupf - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 04-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
scg
n00b

Power steering and charging system failure at startupf

Hi,

I've recently had an odd intermittent startup problem with my stock EVO (2010 SE). Intermittently, about every 10th time I start it, the power steering will not work so that the steering wheel is a bear to turn. Also, when this is happening, if I do try to turn the wheel, the battery light will come on and I'll see the Charging System Requires Service message. After 30 seconds to a minute, this will go away and everything seems normal. I recently noticed that after this has happened and I have the power steering restored, if I immediately turn hard left or right, I will hear a squealing from the engine, like a belt problem, but that too will go away after a few seconds. Has anyone else seen this problem?

It sounds like something is going wrong with the accessory belt, since that drives both the PS system and the alternator. So, I'll probably check belt tension and look for problems in that area. It just surprises me that the problem goes away after 30 seconds. I'm not sure why that would be.

In addition, a couple of days ago, immediately after one of these startup episodes, I got a CEL with P0134 (Front O2 sensor problem), which sounds unrelated to me. No change in behavior of the car, though I did do any hard driving with it. I erased the code and it hasn't come back yet. Erased the code about 30 miles ago. If it comes back, I'll probably replace the O2 sensor.

I didn't see another posts with this combination of problems and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen them.

Thanks!
scg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
Yxd68
Forum Addict

Your serpentine belt system is failing. Replace it, all idlers and the tensioner. Make sure all the accessories (water pump, AC, PS, ALT, etc.) spin freely. Repair/replace as needed.
Yxd68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017, 11:29 PM   #3
scg
n00b

Thanks for the help. I guess now would be a good time to switch over to the metal Hyundai pulleys.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #4
Yxd68
Forum Addict

If you're interested, I have a new serp tensioner with a new, real Hyundai metal idler already installed available.
Yxd68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
scg
n00b

Hmm, I don't seem to have enough posts to PM you, so I guess it's going to be public:

Am I correct in assuming that this is just the tensioner, so I'll need to order two more idlers in order to do the rest of the job? Also, how much do you want for it?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #6
d0m
n00b

Did you figure this out? I have exactly the same issue that started 3 days ago.

Appears to only happen on wet days, and I've already upgraded to the Hyundai pulleys.
d0m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Metal_AF
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0m View Post

Appears to only happen on wet days, and I've already upgraded to the Hyundai pulleys.

Swapped tensioner too?
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #8
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0m View Post

Your belt could be worn. Mistu recommends replacing this every 30k, Im on 60k and havent changed it. I get some squeak on startup, but only if the A/C is on.

I would pull the belt off and inspect it. Inspect all pulleys and pumps for wear. There is also a tension gauge on the tensioner. if the tensioner gauge mark is outside the "window" then the belt is likely to be stretched beyond service
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
Big Steve
n00b

Just throwing it out there that I am also having the EXACT same issue as the OP. Did replacing the belt and tensioner fix this for you guys? It's on an 09 Ralliart with 97k miles. The belt looks fine and there isn't any slack, but I guess that doesn't mean anything.
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
scg
n00b

I went to the dealer for warranty work on the belt and I haven't had a problem since. Guess the belt was worn out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement