BakaUnchi Tuning Review Superhero of tuning? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Tuning
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Tuning Discussion for tuning & engine control systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
Murlo26
Dr. Evo?

BakaUnchi Tuning Review Superhero of tuning?

Well I think many people know of my car on the forums and know I have gone through quite a bit to get my car running correctly. The one thing over the last 4 years I have never changed was my tuner, as I thought that was the one “for sure” thing in my mind of all the mods I have done. Well after much research and finally digging into tuning/logging more extensively myself I knew I needed help to sort the car out on the newest setup.

I was in the middle of Clipse tuning my car this spring and we were trying different MAF tubes, different injectors etc etc. and not getting anywhere, there seemed to be some issues with wondering AFR’s, lean conditions and horribly inconsistent fuel trims. Well finally after reading a bit and a suggestion from Tephra, I started logging MAPcalcs vs MAFcalcs to see how the car was comparing the two load calculations. Sure enough, my MAP tables in stock form were WAY off. Now just to throw this out there, I am sure with more logging/tuning Clipse could’ve dialed my tables in, so this isn’t a pun on him, but I just felt BakaUnchi (aka Jon) had more experience in this field.

So I posted in my build thread when I figured out the issue and a few hours later Jon emailed me asking if I needed help dialing everything in. After talking with him I decided to give him the reins on tuning my car and we were off and running.

Literally within 3 new MAPs my car was running almost stock like for idle and cruise. Jon was super accessible as far as communication, honestly that was my favorite thing about him, his tuning time worked perfectly with my schedule. He was willing to work on it nights and weekends some too. Which made getting new maps and revisions much much faster.
Honestly it was pretty amazing to me how much Jon knows about the Evo X’s. I am tooting his horn with the thread, but seriously I don’t think many people have this knowledge base. I basically only recommend him now with a few other people. I have a very short list of people who I would trust with my car now that I know some things.
Throughout the whole process, Jon always had recommendations and figured out why the car was or wasn’t responding well to certain things. We figured out fuel pressure issues and all sorts of stuff I never knew about that my other shop just said whatever and tuned the car with it. Jon was able to get rid of all the lean spots on the car and it runs exactly how it should. Honestly, I used to think with my cams, clutch etc that my car just had to run as rough as it did, but no, it just wasn’t tuned right. Now I’d say the car runs smoother than stock honestly, just perfect, even with bigger injectors and cams.

It’s funny because I talk to Jon a lot on AIM about more than just my car, we talk about other cars he is doing and the attitude he has is great. I call him the superhero of tuning because his real goal is to get people the proper tunes, he knows there are tons of bad tuners out there and he wants to “save those motors”. I know some people have mentioned to me Jon sounds cocky and comes off as arrogant. Well yes he does sometimes, but when you get to know him and his tuning abilities you know why, he is that good. He will provide a very safe, solid tune without a giant boost spike down low and it will run for as long as it can mechanically.

Jon’s tuning strategy is one that will make a car last I and it feels really good on the street. I for one don’t think it’s a good idea to tune it any other way. My car is also currently running a hybrid speed density/MAF setup thanks to Jon. It’s not like the stock setup, he controls when it runs one vs the other and it makes for a very solid, fun running car!
Anyway, not sure what else I can say about Jon, I recommend him to everyone who wants a tune that will work right! Jon you da man!
Below is the best run I had before I backed the car down so I could sell it and also my modlist.

Modlist (or close enough for now lol):
  • Buschur Bullet Exhaust
  • UR Testpipe
  • MAP O2 Downpipe w/ atmostphere dump
  • AMS Intercooler
  • AMS UICP/LICP
  • Primo 3.5″ intake
  • MAP Long runner exhaust manifold
  • MAP EF4 Turbo w/ Turbosmart wastegate
  • Built Motor – 2.2L (stock crank) overbore motor – AMS Spec JE pistons 90mm 10:1 Comp ratio, Manley TT rods, ACL bearings, ERL sleeves, Cosworth 90mm 1.3mm
  • Head gasket
  • Built head – Ported/polished, +1mm valves (Supertech) w/ Supertech springs
  • ARP 625+ head studs
  • GSC S2 cams
  • DW 1300cc Injectors
  • MAP AFPR kit
  • BlaqOps Progressive boost double pumper
  • Works Short throw shifter with base bushings
  • AMS underhood bushings, gate selector bushings
  • AMS front motor mount
  • Eibach lower springs
  • Whiteline 27mm Rear sway bar
  • Torque Solution driveshaft bushings
  • Beatrush rear diff bushings
  • Enkei RFP1′s Gunmetal, 1810.5 +15mm w/ Hankook Evo v12′s 275/35/18
  • E70/E85
  • ACT 6 puck w/ ACT Streetlite flywheel
  • Magnus CMC
  • Buschur diff pins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Murlo26; 08-28-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
chetrickerman
[E-Tuner]

Completely agree. Jon is a massive fountain of knowledge and has taught me a lot. He may come off as a dick, but he really is a cool guy.

Awesome power btw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP mlomker

chetrickerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
BakaUnchi
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Completely agree. Jon is a massive fountain of knowledge and has taught me a lot. He may come off as a dick, but he really is a cool guy.

Awesome power btw
Bro stop ruining the image i work so hard to produce.........
BakaUnchi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
richardh
[Gearhead]

Baka, can you briefly describe what is going on with the posted air/fuel curve? Is that just what happens when you try to data-log 630+awhp - 3rd gear must take 1/2 second to go from one end of the tacho to the other! E85, right?

I ask because I'm keen to learn Stuff. *

And hopefully I've answered enough silly questions on X&M to submit one free silly question of my own, lol.

Rich

* I'm definitely not a cheap hobby tuner ruining the market for everyone.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
BakaUnchi
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardh View Post
Baka, can you briefly is going on with the posted air/fuel curve? Is that just what happens when you try to data-log 630+awhp - 3rd gear must take 1/2 second to go from one end of the tacho to the other! E85, right?

I ask because I'm keen to learn Stuff. *

And hopefully I've answered enough silly questions on X&M to submit one free silly question of my own, lol.

Rich

* I'm definitely not a cheap hobby tuner ruining the market for everyone.
murlos car Has a Fuel Pickup Issue, Under 1/2 it leans out considerably SEE BELOW

Last edited by BakaUnchi; 08-28-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
richardh
[Gearhead]

What, like, the fuel load rotates 90 degrees when at WOT, and resides in the back half of the tank...

Rich
Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
BakaUnchi
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardh View Post
What, like, the fuel load rotates 90 degrees when at WOT, and resides in the back half of the tank...

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo
Jon,

here are a few logs I took today.

The first was at like half a tank of gas. I was on my way to fill up. I put just over 7 gallons in.

Second was after....I am thinking that is my leaning out problem...bad fuel pickup i guess?

idk you tell me
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
richardh
[Gearhead]

Yeow.

I can't help but think Mitsubishi took a backward step in their fuel tank work. My wife drives an AWD Mitsu sedan (based on JDM Diamante platform), and it uses a fuel bladder instead of a tank. It certainly gets you thinking...

Rich
Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
DRIV4K16
Forum Lackey

congrats murlo, glad to hear the car is where you want it. This means you are going to keep it...right?
CPE 3" Downpipe, quickpower pipe & dual catback
MAP 1000cc fuel injecotrs & deatschwerks dw65c fuel pump
Comp Clutch Stg 3 with AMS CMC
AMI dual gauge pod with A/F & boost
AMS small battery kit
Conti DWS

2007 Honda CBR 600RR flat blk - hyperflow, vortex, CRG, hotbodies, K&N, Lockhart Phillips...
DRIV4K16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Exyia
Forum Lackey

honestly I think any good tuner can come off as a dick sometimes. when you're good at it, have done it so many times, and seen the worst, you just have little tolerance for "crap" (of all kind - failures, bad tunes, bad parts, etc)

+1 for quality tune by quality tuner

Kozmic Motorsports
GTWorx / Race Comp Engineering
Forced Induction Development
Whiteline
Exyia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement