Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Spare tire~~Yes or no ?

18K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  Skillicious 
#1 ·
Should I take out the spare tire? I notice that the trunk space is much larger after spare tire disappears. Moreover, the car is lighter.

#2 ·
Into your question look you shall, see your own conclusion you will, hmmmmm?

#3 ·
Ditch it man, its useless especially with all the new run flat tires available.

#5 ·
I have a 135i w/ runflats and no spare and I only wish it had non-runflats w/ some kind of spare. Our MiniS came with runflats and the first suspension upgrade was to get ride of them. The car handled so much better with non-runflats. With runflats, you get a lot more road transference throughout the car. Plus your tire choices are limited and they cost a lot more.

If weight is the issue then just pick up a fix-o-flat kit but stay away from runcraps.

#8 ·
Same, my spare is in the shed, I have an amp under where it used to be, and have a lot more usable space minus the big as 12" sub I put back there lol :)

#18 ·
When I got my first Evo 8 i removed everything out of the trunk and upgraded my AAA to the Premier membership. It's like $100/yr but can cover up (1) 200 mile tow, (7) 100 mile tows, and unlimited 7-mile tows. Plus they will bring FREE gas if you run out, free battery jumps, etc. $100/yr for all of that weight gone and no hassles. I've kept the membership and never had a full trunk since.

#19 ·
I'm looking for cheap spare tire in CA. :)

#20 ·
Actually I'm looking for all the plastic and carpet in the trunk so if someone gutted their trunk PM me ASAP.

#28 ·
i might not be seeing things clear, but how by just removing the tire your trunk will be bigger if there is the board thing that separates the tire compartment and the trunk? the board would still be there to delimit the trunk space, and underneath there will be a whole that would be pretty annoying to use on a daily basis cause of lifting the board all the time.. would you guys just remove everything and have the whole structure exposed? i dont get it..

#29 ·
The trunk is bigger if you remove all of the stock trunk items (minus the sub if you have one). You can then build a larger board, which will drop the stock trunk floor height (w/board) & give more room. You could also choose to store things under both the new floor (or old one, if you retained all of the foam & such). Example, my trunk:

If you look at the black plastic, you can see the indentation, where the original floor went to.

#35 ·
Steph, you trunk is sick.

For those without a spare or thinking about running without a spare

DO NOT USE FIX A FLAT!!

That stuff goes in through the stem(aka tpms sensor) and it WILL ruin the sensor, that crap will also render the tire non repairable, a proper patch will not adhere to the tire.

That single can of fix a flat can cost you $150 for a sensor and, depending on tread wear a whole set of tires. Make the call and have it towed, much cheaper.

#36 ·
I spent $0 supporting the floor after taking out the tire and OEM foam spacers. Basically I used 4 pieces of plastic blue packing foam from an old monitor I recycled anyways, the kind that you can cut and trim to the right height easily without it exploding all over. It's held up fine to anything I've thrown in there so far and the carpet still fits perfectly. To keep the carpet from moving around I used a small zip ties and two holes on each side to secure the carpet in place, you can barely see them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.