Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Evo X vs 370z?

67K views 210 replies 52 participants last post by  Nguyen128 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been browsing this forum a lot and decided to make my first post. If some of you guys are in Georgia, you might recognize me from IA. I don't have an Evo yet but I'm considering getting one soon. This isn't a Evo vs 370z which is faster type of thread either. I'm trying to decide which one I should purchase in the near future.. let's say in around 4-5 months from now. I'm 20 years old and a sophomore in college. I am privledged enough to have my own buisness that puts me financially able to purchase either of these without taking a loan. So please no negative comments I've worked hard for what I have. My parents aren't paying my way. I support myself.

But to the meat of this post.. I would be getting a 2011 GSR fully loaded or a 2011 Nismo 370. I'd love to get my hands on a 2012 GTR Black edition and it has always been a dream of mine but after doing the math I would rather purchase a car half the price and be able to buy a new house and expand my buisness as well. I have driven both, the 370z when it came out and I just test drove a 2010 370z since they didn't have a 2011 on the lot. I drove a 2008 GSR about 6 months ago.

Both cars put a smile to my face when I drove it but there's something special about the low end power the 370 makes. This would simply be a weekend toy of mine. I'm single and don't have kids or anything to worry about so I really don't need the 4 doors. I just want a sports car I can play with. I already have a daily (2009 Pontiac G5) I bought early last year brand new.

So, what do you guys think the best car would be and pros/cons? For the 370z I'd just start with some minor bolt ons and then twin turbo it in the future. For the Evo it would be bolt ons w/ fp black and down the road the AMS 900 kit. All this after I purchase a home of course.

I understand this is an Evo forum and some opinions might be bias. But any input would be helpful. Sorry this is so long but thanks in advance!

See less See more
#180 ·
Yes, I would say the Z's interior is nicer than the X's. But the X has about the most functional interior out there. Nice and simple. And there is no better steering wheel.

#181 ·
THat must not be the base model he had cloth seats and none of that stuff on the dash really. He bought the bog standard one as did I with my X were college kids lol

#182 ·
That's a Touring model w/ Nav. The only things his base wouldn't have is the Homelink rear view mirror and navigation system. It would just be a little cubby hole. The picture didn't even show seats in it lol. But I feel you, I'm in college as well.

#183 ·
I dont know the dash in his was like the Xs id say theyd be the same quality wise but the seats look like they came out of a honda civic they shouldnt even be called bucket those seats dont do shit for you while cornering hard. I dont know everytime I drive my X I feel like a rally driver LOL. I eventually in like a year would like to get some race seats and a harness bar plus a 5 point harness. I also want to get a sparco sphelt steering wheel.

#186 ·
well I took a ride in my friends 370z and what do you know he crashed it trying to go around this corner as fast as I did. ( took him for a ride in my X first). He tried to go around the corner as fast as me his car stepped out and hit a curb cracked a rim and popped the tire 1400 in damages. Hes wants to trade it in for an X now:rock:

#187 ·
He should check into more variables that could have caused this:
-gravel spot or something in the road
-his tire vs your tires meaning cold vs hot charcteristics of different types and tire pressure
-throttle-brake-steering input
-alignment/suspension

Just too many variables come into play on what happened, not just "the evo handles better".

Also if you daily drive the car, I would advise against the Sparco with the suede type material. Had one before and in a couple months, it gets dirty (even being anal about having clean hands), and it also loses it's grip and gets smoothed out where you normally grip the wheel.

#190 ·
He should check into more variables that could have caused this:
-gravel spot or something in the road
-his tire vs your tires meaning cold vs hot charcteristics of different types and tire pressure
-throttle-brake-steering input
-alignment/suspension

Just too many variables come into play on what happened, not just "the evo handles better".
Yeah, I would guess it was due to some lift-throttle action. That can cause some scary rotation inducing situations. Not with our robot car though!

#189 · (Edited)
Got a point, I think it's a combo of a few things without knowing the situation along with the #1 mod needed, driver mod.

I will say this, and it's just my $.02 as usual.... The EVO can make many "average street drivers with balls" look good in the handling department due to how it will correct your "oops" situation.

#191 ·
The Z is very powerful no doubt more powerful than the evo stock. He can burn the tires pulling away from a stop sign. You step out a line in that car and it will make you pay for it, while alot of the time the evo will just give you a slap on the wrist and send you on your way lol. IT was 800 dollars for one rim on his car though I was like WTF

#192 ·
IT was 800 dollars for one rim on his car though I was like WTF
That's about what it is for a GSR rim too through Mitsu. I think the BBS are over $1k each. All OEM wheels are marked up like crazy.

#207 ·
Yay for a dyno queen I guess.

Very cool car but they aren't really good at anything besides making a lot of unusable power :)

Nonetheless I'd love to own one for fun. Good pickup.
So are Supras known to handle like poo? I never really see anyone tracking them.

#197 ·
lol,wtf! 20 page thread on this discussion and you dont even remotely get either one.haha.good stuff:bowlol:

#198 ·
Yeah no kidding, but to be honest I also have always considered a Supra since 02' when I had the means to purchase. The only thing that ever stopped me was buy new or a significantly used car for the same price?

But congrats on the purchase!!!! BADASS cars.

#199 ·
post up some pics of the supra when you get it dont know if its gonna be good for any of the stuff you wanted a sports car for other than alotta power

#200 ·
Ive always wanted a Supra and didn't even consider it but I was searching eBay for them and found one that's perfect. Cost as much as a new evo or 370 but they're just so awesome lol. There's 2 around me so I'll have to look at both. Theres no point in me tracking it so its just gonna be a weekend warrior and drag car. This is a lot sooner than I expected to buy a car but these don't come around often.

I'll be sure to post up pictures. A red Supra will look so good next to the red NSX I have in the garage :)

#210 ·
I agree. They are just a classic for that generation. Same with the RX-7. Things have gotten much better, but I remember those 96-97 Supra Twins brand new, and obviously in high school I couldn't afford one...and that is where the desire began. An Evo would wreck a Supra on the track, but the Supra still has this nostalgic appeal...

When did this thread turn from 370Z conversation to Supra talk? Haha

#211 ·
I agree. They are just a classic for that generation. Same with the RX-7. Things have gotten much better, but I remember those 96-97 Supra Twins brand new, and obviously in high school I couldn't afford one...and that is where the desire began. An Evo would wreck a Supra on the track, but the Supra still has this nostalgic appeal...

When did this thread turn from 370Z conversation to Supra talk? Haha
True true. Same with the NSX, the RX-7 never really appealed to me but it is a good looking car.

Oh and because I decided to ditch both lollol. I'm going to check it out Saturday and see how it is. Then further updates from there.

Only thing Supra's are good for is putting down loads of power and roll races. The Evo would be all over the Supra at a track. I saw a video of a lightly modded Supra vs a stock Cobalt SS/TC.. and the Cobalt passed easy. But... monster power is good enough for me :rock:

#209 ·
A old friend of mine tracked his 800 RWHP Supra. It was quite hard to drive. Blows away just about everything in the straights but impossible to handle on corners because the power delivery is stupid. No power below 4K rpm then it just shoots 600whp between 4K to redline. Throw in some All-Season tires, it was not a good combo...

Maybe with less power, it'll be more drivable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.