Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Autopower Rollbar First Impressions

45K views 127 replies 37 participants last post by  dkevox 
#1 ·
It took me forever to create this thread. After having the Autopower Industries Roll bar in my possession for more than 2 months, I finally decided to give it an honest full try to try and install it. I hit a major milestone today....hence this thread.

The first time that I tried to sneak the roll bar into the back of the car, I was able to get one end of it in successfully, but was never able to get the second end in as either the rear door or the Side-skirt (SSS) would come in the way. I also ended up scratching the side-skirt ever do lightly because of my failed attempt.

Well.. today, I decided to give a better try. The first time I tried this, I was severely constrained in space to try and coax the bar into the cabin. So I decided to take off the rear seat. I first moved the front seats all the way to the front. I then removed the rear seat (only the ass part). I then tried to get the roll bar in. I was greeted with the same failure as last time, since the roof was also a limitation at this point.

I then jacked the car up and tried to see if I could get the Side skirt off. Guess what....the fucking Side-Skirt is riveted in. Mist screws in the support brace like any bolt on, but then it staples the actual Side-Skirt cover on to that support brace with rivets.

After wasting an hour trying to figure that piece out, I moved to try and remove the rear door panel. I did not remove the whole door, just the inner plastic black panel. The second foot of the roll bar still would not come in because of the door or the Side-Skirt still coming in the way by about a millimeter. At this point, I said FUCK THIS SHIT and put my foot and some weight on the Side-Skirt. This broke the roll bar's foot clear and before I knew it, The roll bar had slid in! HOORAY!

PS: I did end up scratching the side skirt a little bit though (Picture below). This would be very easy if you do not attempt to do it alone. The bar is HEAVY! I am not a weak guy, but carrying that bar in ungodly positions made me beg for mercy at least a couple of times.

I took the opportunity to completely remove my rear seat and the seat belts. I also took out my trunk panels completely except for the Sub-woofer.

My next step is to actually drill the holes on the floor and the wheel well and screw this biatch in! Although, I don't think I am nearly adept enough to attempt that unless somebody gives me some easy DIY pointers.

At this point, I am just happy I did not have to remove any front seats.

I wish the package came with better instructions for noobs like me!

See less See more
#41 ·
Any new pictures?

#43 ·
Here are some pics from my autopower install yesterday. I did have to remove both front seats and rear (were already out). The bar was a tight fit to get in and it definately matters which side faces down when bringing it in through the front door opening. Double nuts check, loktight check, we should be ready to run now boys...

#44 ·
Is it possible to load 4 wheels with tires in the back seat with these bars? I need to carry a set of rcomps with me to events and see this being an issue. My rear seats have to stay in per class requirements, im happy in the class i am in so removal of the seats is not an option.

I see autopower has a street sport bar that has a removable harness bar which might work for me,

Is there anyone using this? If so can you shoot some pics of it?

#45 ·
I am only able to carry 3 in the back seat area. 9.5 wide rims with 275 wide tires. Same restriction to the stock set as well. I carry the 4th in the trunk.

#47 ·
I just got off the phone with Don @ Autopower - He is a good guy to deal with, he told me that he has a bar for the Evo X that has a removable harness bar as well as a removable diagonal bar. I think that with these two bars removed I would be able to stuff the tires in there without resorting to sorcery. They also have the added benefit of making the rear semi usable when they are removed.

#51 ·
Contact Autopower and ask them if the detachable system is also certified by the racing orgs at the same level as the fully welded system.

#54 ·
Mmmmmmm. Roll bar.. Mmmmmmmmm

It's not 2500.00 either.

Mmmmmmmm. No. Must Resist. Have other bills must pay first. Must resist.

Resist. Resist. SOMEONE CLOSE THIS THREAD ITS KILLING ME>

#59 ·
The bars on the sides, the ones that mount on to the rear wheel wells, those will hit their abdomen/hands/head depending on angle of impact. Also. abdomen and hands can get hurt with just one sudden change in direction like a lane change etc. Its a bad idea no matter how you look at it.

#61 ·
I just finished installing my Autopower roll bar, the fit is spot on. It is tight to the headliner and makes a great mounting point for the harnesses. I ordered the one with the removable cross bars which made the install really easy, there was no need to unbolt the front seats to get the bar in. Unfortunately the back seat becomes useless for passengers so the Evo just became a two seater. For my next project I am going to pull the rear seats completely out and fab up a panel to separate the trunk from the passenger compartment, I'll probably make it out of kydex or aluminum.

#64 ·
pic of my harness attached to Autopower roll bar. I use G force, which clips are purchased separately to attach to the bar

Attachments

#65 ·
As some of you might know I purchased the Autopower roll bar with the removable harness bar and removable crossbrace. The bar with the bolt on harness and cross bar comes in and out of the car really quickly once you remove the bolt ons. I can have the car from roll bar / no back seat to stock in less than 45 minutes. It goes back on just as easy.

Just food for thought if anyone is thinking about one of these.

#67 · (Edited)
I can have the entire bar out of the car and the seat back in place in less than 45min. What happens is that the bar has some small amount of flex once you unbolt all the parts to it. You end up with a U and some straight(ish) pipes and a bunch of bolts. It is a lot easier to maneuver inside the car without the bolt in cross braces.

#68 ·
I see. In my case, that thing is rigid as fuck. I need to either risk a few scratches on my factory Aero side skirts like last time or remove the passenger seat to make things easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.