Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

MAPerformance - Cast Stainless Tubular Manifold V-Band Turbo Kit for EVO X - NEW!

31K views 150 replies 24 participants last post by  dsm_jdb 
#1 · (Edited)

Introduction:

After the success of our MAP Investment Cast stock frame manifold, overwhelming customer feedback demanded support for power levels that exceeded the limitations of the stock turbine housing. Drawing from the success of our T3 and T4 Divided schedule 10 tubular long runner turbo kits and recognizing the lack of a cost effective solution for the ever increasing power demands of our customers, we went back to the drawing boards. After a year of research and development, countless revisions, virtual flow analysis and real world vehicle testing, we are confident that we have surpassed our project objectives and goals.

For starters, this Evo X V-band Turbo Hot Parts Kit utilizes our very own MAPerformance Evo X Cast T3 Manifold. This manifold is brand new and ready to rock the world after nearly 6 months of research and development by the team here at MAP. Made from stainless steel, this Evo 10 Cast V-band manifold has been investment casted from an in-house design using the latest CAD software. For more details on this manifold, check out our blog post highlighting the design and build!

Manifold Features:

Large port runner manifold design for maximum exhaust flow capability
Optimized runner design for quickest possible spool characteristics
External wastegate provision features smooth transition for accurate control
Investment cast 310s stainless steel construction
Designed for use with Precision Turbo V-Band or Tial V-Band turbine housing inlet turbos
Wastegate designed for use with Turbosmart Compgate40 wastegates

From concept design to prototype

Advanced CAD design combined with advanced casting techniques to create unique flow characteristics that would be difficult to replicate through conventional manufacturing techniques.

Project objectives:

When designing this manifold and turbo kit, we were forced to establish a set of project objectives or design requirements. If, once completed, the design could be considered a success in most or all categories, we would then proceed to the manufacturing processes to introduce the product. Our initial objectives initially seemed grandiose, but after careful debate boiled down to several main topics, or points of interest:

Durability, Performance, Cost Effectiveness, and Availability. Let’s touch on those concepts for a moment:

Durability: This one is simple…anything worth making, as far as we are concerned, is worth making well enough to stand the test of time. Our manifold features thick 310s stainless steel throughout providing excellent resistance to corrosion and a high degree of thermal stability to perform under duress. The optional complete turbo kit is constructed of 304s stainless components that have been tig welded and back purged throughout for consistently strong welds.

Performance: Again, we would consider this a straightforward mission statement. What good is a product that does not perform as intended and what should that intent be? The manifold and option turbo kit are compatible with a wide array of turbos which will yield different results in both peak power and spool capabilities but through careful design and testing, we have achieved a balanced design which will afford excellent boost control and peak power potential.

The above graphic illustrates the flow characteristics of our manifold with the wastegate open

The above graphic illustrates the flow characteristics with the wastegate closed

Cost Effectiveness: One of the major hurdles facing the Mitsubishi Evo X platform has been, in our estimation, a cost effective solution for enhancing power output. Experimenting with stock frame turbos can yield positive results, but eventually the turbine housing becomes a limiting factor. Solutions do exist, for the user looking for higher power output, but they are typically expensive. Our cast manifold and optional complete turbo kit allows the end user to convert to more mainstream, standardized turbine housing styles, offering more flexibility in not only power output, but cost as well.

Availability: As mentioned above, solutions have been available in the market for the Evo X platform, but offerings have been sporadic… sometimes intermittent. By switching to a casting process that is cost effective, we can deliver a product that will allow for standardized turbo installation in a cost effective package that will deliver performance from a wide array of readily available turbos that should be available in all shapes and forms for many years to come.

The Process:

The MAPerformance research and development team has a history of developing a wide array of high performance parts for many turbocharged and naturally aspirated platforms. Pairing experience and real world results with advanced CAD programming capabilities, we were able to incorporate design characteristics from our previous EVO X casting design into this new offering. Our designers incorporated short runners for the quickest possible spool, smooth transitions with the largest possible ports for maximum flow and transitions that if not for a casting process would not be easily achievable via conventional manufacturing techniques.

Once 3D models had been meticulously designed, our engineers were able to virtually flow test the model, utilizing results to enhance the final product. After all revisions had been completed on the virtual model, our manifold was then set to rapid prototyping for fitment analysis. Luckily for us, the manifold fit as planned, but this would have been the last stop before release for prototyping. After we received the prototyping, we analyzed the end results to confirm boost control was achievable and repeatable and the rest is history, as they say.

What’s in the box?

MAP Cast V-band Manifold
MAP Custom V-Band downpipe
Dump Tube (Recirculated or external)
Downpipe Gasket and Hardware
V-Band Clamps
Cam Angle Sensor and Valve Cover Shields
Precision Turbo V-band inlet and outlet of your choice (optional stainless PTE Housing available)

The Release:

Retail pricing and options as follows:
(please keep in mind, this kit is designed for use with a variety of turbos. Our initial release doesn’t necessarily convey the variety, but please keep in mind, if you have another turbo you would like to use, or think should be supported (v-band/v-band style housing, feel free to give us feedback!)

Recirculated Downpipe (Retail Price)
Journal Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 3075.00
Ball Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 3665.00
Wastegate Dump to Atmosphere (Retail Price)
Journal Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 2999.00
Ball Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 3549.00

For a limited time, we would like to show support to the early adopter community by offering introductory pricing:

Recirculated Downpipe
Journal Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 2449.00
Ball Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 3039.00

Wastegate Dump to Atmosphere
Journal Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 2399.00
Ball Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 2989.00

(optional stainless PTE Housing available for extra)
Ask your favorite MAP Sale rep about this, or coating options!​

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The Action:

In addition to the early adopter pricing, we would like to further complement our newest offering for the Evolution X by offering our bounty program right out of the gates. Be the first to achieve and document one of these milestone events using our kit, and receive the corresponding reward (to be eligible, the corresponding milestone must be submitted with proper documentation IE: timeslip/or picture of dynosheet):

First to 700HP to the wheels: 200.00 bounty
First to 1000HP to the wheels: 400.00 bounty
First to 10 second quarter mile pass: 200.00 bounty
First to 9 second quarter mile pass: 500.00 bounty

Once milestones have been achieved, and spoken for, those milestone rewards will no longer be up for grabs. Contact us once a target has been achieved to redeem!

ALSO, don’t forget to take advantage of easy financing options. We offer FuturePay and orders can be placed and financed through Paypal financing options!

The ETA:

If you are expecting a length wait for this to ship, you might be surprised to learn that the castings are done. Because there are several options, turbo, wastegate color, wastegate configurations, ETC, we will be building out the remainder of the kits over the next 2-3 weeks and we plan to start shipping in 3-4 weeks from today! (Product Information Release: 9/26/2016)​

The Pre-Buy:

Here's how to get in line to be one of the first to receive this kit:

Step one: Contact your favorite MAP rep!
Step two: tell them you want this turbo kit!

It's that easy... place a deposit to get your spot on the list (supplies of the manifold are limited to first come, first serve basis).
2-3 weeks later, we will reach back out for the balance (assuming that the order was paid in full)
and then the complete kit will ship! Couldn't be easier! If you have any questions, please feel free to drop us a PM, phone call or email! We have a limited number of manifolds in our first shipment but I expect there should be plenty to go around for this launch.

1. Anthony Stark
2. David Gonzalez

#9 ·
The aim of this turbo kit wasn't to break any HP numbers or target any goals. We tested the kit on a couple of different turbos and we were able to control boost with ease.

The turbo kit is compatible with iterations of turbo that have proven track records of 700-800HP and to be honest, our test vehicle was what we feel the majority of owners have... a stock bottom end car. HP, Dyno, it really doesn't mean anything here as visually, it will be unimpressive as our testing revolved around boost control.

Of course, had we had unlimited resources for the test vehicle, I would have liked to put down some record breaking numbers...hahahaha... but realistically, what we have set up is the playing field for someone who is heading that direction with our contingency program.

#6 ·
faaaaackkkK!!! so I could have a damn precision 6262 ball bearing turbo, and everything else to hook it up to my car for $3k??? god dammit.

1 question... are the runners on this manifold un-equal? looks that way to me.

#11 ·
The runner design is very close to uniform in length, but visually, it is not particularly obvious... I believe that in the strictest sense, the runners are not completely uniform... there is a slight imbalance in length, but the flow is targeted to be uniform.

#7 ·
I should have guessed that as soon as i found a replacement for my blown turbo, a new option would come out.

#17 ·
Man.. I would LOVE to be able to jump in and make that happen for you but we aren't quite fully there yet. The manifold pattern is relatively modular, but the first batch is already welded... we likely won't fire up another round of casting until we have sold down this shipment a bit (just to be completely up front on the topic)... another thing is that the tial housings are rather expensive and while we do plan to release a hot parts kit AND indeed kits specific to other turbos, I FEAR that it would likely cost you more than you would have originally needed to spend to go that direction, if that makes sense to you.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm not sure how that answered my question at all.

I don't really care about the power numbers, I care more about the curves, area under the curve, spool, etc.

You tested it right? Can you post some charts? Some boost logs?

I apologize... I am extremely sorry... absolutely DID jump to the conclusion that you were interested primarily in peak power output, which would obviously be more related to the chosen turbo than to the design of the manifold or ancillary components (although obviously they must all work together in unison to produce a quality result).

Our methodology was more grounded in fitment and flow testing... To that end, we opted for a relatively stock MR... WHY? Because our experience has been such that if you build a component to fit the MR, the kit will fit the non SST car.

Fitment is spot on with relatively even flow to the collector(best possible given constraints)... once it came to testing IN car, we were only looking for results or indications that boost was controllable. The results of this test indicate that boost is controllable with minimal overshoot and is extremely responsive.

We didn't test multiple displacements of engine, or even a built engine versus a stock engine. I believe the turbo we did testing on was a PTE journal bearing 5858, but really, our largest concern was that we might damage the SST transmission by pushing it too hard, thus, I think the highest target HP achieved during testing was something like 430HP

For this kit, or really any other turbo kit (cast, vband, t4 twin scroll, tubular or otherwise) ... choose a turbo that is appropriate for your goals and you will want to factor in things like spool, max power, displacement, transmission type, ETC... when selecting that turbo. For the purposes of practicality, we were unable to test multiple engine/turbo configurations

Some photos of the actual kit installed on a car? I'm interested in how the heat shielding sits and how it all looks fully installed.

Absolutely! I thought there were more photos on car... please excuse the dirtiness of the engine bay... it was never really intended to be a show car

I am very interested in the kit as I am currently building my motor and was planning on a GTX3076 but this has caught my interest.

I am glad you are interested... we would certainly LOVE for that interest to translate to you getting your hands on a kit and helping to fill that gap between theoretical and cold hard data/results! Maybe even take advantage of one of the contingency programs!

Hopefully this helps SOME although I realize you might still be looking for some graphical analysis. I honestly don't know that any images were ever saved or prepared for release as the results were rather subjective to our exact combination.

#18 ·
So safe to say you need a metal valve cover with this manifold hahahahah.

What can be done for manifold blankets? or wrap? Because for someone with a plastic valve cover that manifold sits wayyy to close.

If my ETS manifold (which is ceramic coated and wrapped) can show +900°F from a 6" distance after a 30 minute hard drive.... I would be terrified to see how hot this thing gets..

Oh, BTdubbs.. Not knocking y'all at all. Its awesome you are still making products for a car that isn't even in production anymore. But, its new... we gotta question everything hahaha

#19 ·
I noticed that the pictures I took did NOT have the included valve cover heat shield installed. We are considering a revision to that part... just to lengthen out the ends and center it better, which is why it wasn't on the car. It extends down to protect the valve cover AND gasket.

Sorry for that oversight

#20 ·
I don't know why I thought y'all wouldn't have already taken that into account lol.

But you should definitely extend the shield as much as possible, also think about the cam sensor also. unless your current shield allows enough room to fit someone else's cam sensor shield.

#26 ·
Love everything about the kit.. Just needs lots of heat management.

Maybe cut a deal with Boost resource to make some blankets for this bad boy?:innocent:

#36 ·
Sent you guys an email about a EFR hot parts, but this caught my eye. Incredible pricing I might be in...

#39 ·
pricing on the first page. and yes, this is an equal length. so will make it scream lol.
^everyone should enjoy a screamer. lol

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk