Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

MAPerformance - Cast Stainless Tubular Manifold V-Band Turbo Kit for EVO X - NEW!

31K views 150 replies 24 participants last post by  dsm_jdb 
#1 · (Edited)

Introduction:

After the success of our MAP Investment Cast stock frame manifold, overwhelming customer feedback demanded support for power levels that exceeded the limitations of the stock turbine housing. Drawing from the success of our T3 and T4 Divided schedule 10 tubular long runner turbo kits and recognizing the lack of a cost effective solution for the ever increasing power demands of our customers, we went back to the drawing boards. After a year of research and development, countless revisions, virtual flow analysis and real world vehicle testing, we are confident that we have surpassed our project objectives and goals.

For starters, this Evo X V-band Turbo Hot Parts Kit utilizes our very own MAPerformance Evo X Cast T3 Manifold. This manifold is brand new and ready to rock the world after nearly 6 months of research and development by the team here at MAP. Made from stainless steel, this Evo 10 Cast V-band manifold has been investment casted from an in-house design using the latest CAD software. For more details on this manifold, check out our blog post highlighting the design and build!

Manifold Features:

Large port runner manifold design for maximum exhaust flow capability
Optimized runner design for quickest possible spool characteristics
External wastegate provision features smooth transition for accurate control
Investment cast 310s stainless steel construction
Designed for use with Precision Turbo V-Band or Tial V-Band turbine housing inlet turbos
Wastegate designed for use with Turbosmart Compgate40 wastegates

From concept design to prototype

Advanced CAD design combined with advanced casting techniques to create unique flow characteristics that would be difficult to replicate through conventional manufacturing techniques.

Project objectives:

When designing this manifold and turbo kit, we were forced to establish a set of project objectives or design requirements. If, once completed, the design could be considered a success in most or all categories, we would then proceed to the manufacturing processes to introduce the product. Our initial objectives initially seemed grandiose, but after careful debate boiled down to several main topics, or points of interest:

Durability, Performance, Cost Effectiveness, and Availability. Let’s touch on those concepts for a moment:

Durability: This one is simple…anything worth making, as far as we are concerned, is worth making well enough to stand the test of time. Our manifold features thick 310s stainless steel throughout providing excellent resistance to corrosion and a high degree of thermal stability to perform under duress. The optional complete turbo kit is constructed of 304s stainless components that have been tig welded and back purged throughout for consistently strong welds.

Performance: Again, we would consider this a straightforward mission statement. What good is a product that does not perform as intended and what should that intent be? The manifold and option turbo kit are compatible with a wide array of turbos which will yield different results in both peak power and spool capabilities but through careful design and testing, we have achieved a balanced design which will afford excellent boost control and peak power potential.

The above graphic illustrates the flow characteristics of our manifold with the wastegate open

The above graphic illustrates the flow characteristics with the wastegate closed

Cost Effectiveness: One of the major hurdles facing the Mitsubishi Evo X platform has been, in our estimation, a cost effective solution for enhancing power output. Experimenting with stock frame turbos can yield positive results, but eventually the turbine housing becomes a limiting factor. Solutions do exist, for the user looking for higher power output, but they are typically expensive. Our cast manifold and optional complete turbo kit allows the end user to convert to more mainstream, standardized turbine housing styles, offering more flexibility in not only power output, but cost as well.

Availability: As mentioned above, solutions have been available in the market for the Evo X platform, but offerings have been sporadic… sometimes intermittent. By switching to a casting process that is cost effective, we can deliver a product that will allow for standardized turbo installation in a cost effective package that will deliver performance from a wide array of readily available turbos that should be available in all shapes and forms for many years to come.

The Process:

The MAPerformance research and development team has a history of developing a wide array of high performance parts for many turbocharged and naturally aspirated platforms. Pairing experience and real world results with advanced CAD programming capabilities, we were able to incorporate design characteristics from our previous EVO X casting design into this new offering. Our designers incorporated short runners for the quickest possible spool, smooth transitions with the largest possible ports for maximum flow and transitions that if not for a casting process would not be easily achievable via conventional manufacturing techniques.

Once 3D models had been meticulously designed, our engineers were able to virtually flow test the model, utilizing results to enhance the final product. After all revisions had been completed on the virtual model, our manifold was then set to rapid prototyping for fitment analysis. Luckily for us, the manifold fit as planned, but this would have been the last stop before release for prototyping. After we received the prototyping, we analyzed the end results to confirm boost control was achievable and repeatable and the rest is history, as they say.

What’s in the box?

MAP Cast V-band Manifold
MAP Custom V-Band downpipe
Dump Tube (Recirculated or external)
Downpipe Gasket and Hardware
V-Band Clamps
Cam Angle Sensor and Valve Cover Shields
Precision Turbo V-band inlet and outlet of your choice (optional stainless PTE Housing available)

The Release:

Retail pricing and options as follows:
(please keep in mind, this kit is designed for use with a variety of turbos. Our initial release doesn’t necessarily convey the variety, but please keep in mind, if you have another turbo you would like to use, or think should be supported (v-band/v-band style housing, feel free to give us feedback!)

Recirculated Downpipe (Retail Price)
Journal Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 3075.00
Ball Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 3665.00
Wastegate Dump to Atmosphere (Retail Price)
Journal Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 2999.00
Ball Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 3549.00

For a limited time, we would like to show support to the early adopter community by offering introductory pricing:

Recirculated Downpipe
Journal Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 2449.00
Ball Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 3039.00

Wastegate Dump to Atmosphere
Journal Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 2399.00
Ball Bearing Precision Turbo (5858/6262/6266): 2989.00

(optional stainless PTE Housing available for extra)
Ask your favorite MAP Sale rep about this, or coating options!​

See less See more
#80 · (Edited)
Rotate the turbo on the vband until it works. The best way I could find to make it work was attach it to the turbo loosely, mount the plate to the oil return hole on engine, rotate turbo on vband till close, and force an fitting on mount. It's tight but works. I'll go into my experiences with the kit once its tuned.

#82 · (Edited)
Plastic -10AN return line? It's not plastic. It is standard aluminum -10AN fittings with a Aeroquip pushlock hose:

Did you clock the turbo at all before trying to install it? It needs to be clocked correctly as it comes generically clocked out of the box. Also remember the return line MUST be on the BOTTOM side as it is gravity fed and you want a straight shot to the block, no flat, ups, turns, etc.
Save

#84 ·
Curious about the 2 mentioned heat shields and what they look like installed, I LOVE this manifold and when the time come I'm pretty damn sure this will be my setup.

Also cause I use my current UICP with this? I have a custom 3" mantle bent that I really want to keep if possible.

Great job on the manifold guys, very excited about this.

#85 ·
The manifold is not as great as you make it out-wastegate placement sucks, and with the provided wastegate on a built motor could not control boost. It creeped from 14 psi to 28 at redline. Swapping to a diff wastegate helped, but in the end, this manifold is a cheap copy of AMS.

#86 ·
These kits make great power and torque. This is on a completely stock longblock, bolt-ons (including the turbo kit) and 93 octane.
The best part is, this is only 27 psi. I could definitely push 30 psi if the block could withstand the torque, lol.

Attachments

#87 ·
Thank you very much, and I did not clock the turbo to the way that the oil return line is facing down. I am such noob. Anything I needed to be aware of when I re-clock the turbo?
An other question is that I noticed the intake does not have a a connecting outlet for the 3 port boost controller. How would you connect the line that was originally for the intake? thanks