Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Climate control color changes

119K views 215 replies 74 participants last post by  Co-Jones 
#1 ·
I just bought my 2010 GSR in Octane Blue. I want to put blue interior lights but it will clash with the red climate control lights. Does anyone know how to change out the lights?

#182 ·
Maybe I am blind, but can someone confirm or list down the LED sizes and possibly the quantity for the following....

AC climate controls, 0603 (x 12??)... what about the one that lights up when you push a switch? and the two that shoot down the ashtray.

Steering wheel controls,

Traction control switch,

Shift gear indicator (PRND, etc..)

AWC switch (by cupholder),

Seat warmer rocker switches,

Drivers window switch,

I would like to change these out. I have a ton of 0603's LEDs from my days in Xbox 360 console/controller mods that are just sitting around.

Thanks!

#186 ·
I added my comments in bold below. I also added some images of what I removed.

My suggestion is not to use anything over 400mcd. I think anything higher than that would be too bright. Also, everything was rated at 20mA.

Maybe I am blind, but can someone confirm or list down the LED sizes and possibly the quantity for the following....

AC climate controls, 0603 (x 12??)... what about the one that lights up when you push a switch? and the two that shoot down the ashtray.
Dials - 12 x 0603
Recirc./AC/Defrost - 3 x 0805 - I ordered 1206s before I took it apart. I made them fit ;)
Cubby - 2 x 0603 (90 degree) - I just soldered regular 0603s on their side. All good.

Steering wheel controls,
12 x 0805 - I just used more 0603. Depends on your soldering skills.

Traction control switch,
These are some type of DC bulb. I could never get an answer or part number on this. I'm cheap, so I just used a 680ohm resistor and an 0603 LED to make a "bulb." It's ugly, but it's working great. Plus, it matches everything else. Pic can be provided if necessary.

Shift gear indicator (PRND, etc..)
Unknown - I have a GSR.

AWC switch (by cupholder),
Same as traction control.

Seat warmer rocker switches,
Unknown - don't have.

Drivers window switch,
Unknown - I don't have this, so I'm jelly.

I would like to change these out. I have a ton of 0603's LEDs from my days in Xbox 360 console/controller mods that are just sitting around.

Thanks!
For completeness:
Headlight Leveling is the same as the Traction Control and AWC switches.

Passenger Airbag Off and Hazard are PLCC. Somehow, I apparently made 0603 fit for the Airbag. :D

I know the radio can be done as well, but I didn't bother because I replaced it later.

Attachments

#188 ·
would you like to help me sometime? id meet you out in madison :thumbup:
how long does it take?

#184 ·
I'm not in a rush, but that info will be very much appreciated. I know I could rip it apart myself and look.
But I don't have much free time and want to swap em out while I have the panels out and do it all at once.

Thanks!

#185 ·
this would look soo awesome on my OB. im afraid to take on a project like that tho..

#194 ·
Bumping this because I just bought a ton of LEDs (and some resistors to turn off my airbag light) and I'm curious how the LEDs have been working out for those of you that did this mod. Did you guys have any LEDs burn out or are they still going strong?

#197 ·
Ditto. I wish I had the patience.

#199 ·
Honestly, this would be a good winter project... if the Evo wasn't my winter vehicle.

Plus, I can't decide between the blue or the white for my OB. Both look awesome.

#201 ·
I'm going to try it while my car is down. The only problem is that any other color other than red/orange kills our night vision so I'm hoping it isn't super bright in my eyes.

#203 ·
I've been rocking my conversion since early 2011, all LED's are still going strong. I love the look, and mixed in white with the blue to make it really pop. It's great seeing other evos and then looking in their interior and I always forget mine is not stock, I see the orange/amber and I just can't imagine driving in that.

I've done a number of conversions across CA for fellow evo owners, and have done cross country work so do a google for my name and you might find some things, but here's one of my threads I posted here on EvoXforums and you can check it out. Since then I've done 8s,9s,10s to include stock radio and nav units.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44865

#204 ·
Yea I ordered the LEDs...I don't even know how I'll be able to work with something that small.

Giggity.

#206 ·
Sorry for resurrecting and old thread, but whats the best way to power the pcb when it is out of the car? I just want to be able to give it some power to check all of the leds before reinstalling and finding out i goofed on one. I tested my boost gauge when I first got it by hooking it up to an old computer power supply. Would the same work for the hvac pcb?

#207 ·
I suppose an external power supply could be an option if you found the correct inputs on the board. However, it might just be easier to just reconnect it in the car without remounting it, and turn the headlights on.

I just used the diode setting of my multimeter to check for proper polarity and solder joints. When correct, it made the LEDs light up ever so slightly.

#208 ·
So I finally got the hvac controls done. Had a little setback when I didn't check the cathode/anode markings were correct... They were backwards, so I had to do it twice. That's what I get for going cheap and ordering bulk from Amazon.

The only instructions I've found online for accessing the steering wheel controls requires taking the steering wheel off. Is this the only way, or did I miss another write-up somewhere? Also, is there a part number for the little bulbs inside the buttons? ASC, AWC, headlight leveler.... I had a tough time finding replacements, and am about to just take off the orange cover and color the bulbs blue.

#209 ·
The only instructions I've found online for accessing the steering wheel controls requires taking the steering wheel off. Is this the only way, or did I miss another write-up somewhere?
It's been awhile, but I'm pretty positive the steering wheel has to come off. There's not really anyway around it. This was the part that scared me the most, but it ended up being fine. Just mark the position it's at before removing it. I used the dust on top. :p

Also, it may go without saying, but disconnect the battery before removing the airbag. Better safe than boom.

Also, is there a part number for the little bulbs inside the buttons? ASC, AWC, headlight leveler.... I had a tough time finding replacements, and am about to just take off the orange cover and color the bulbs blue.
I'm not sure on a part number. I just hacked up a resistor with an LED and reused the bulb holder. I wanted the colors to match exactly.

#210 · (Edited)
I knew something would go wrong eventually. AWD, ASC, and headlight leveling switch are giving problems now. The AWD button works, but wont light up. The ASC button doesn't light up or work, ASC is automatically turned off when I start up. The headlight leveler doesn't light up, but i got the leveling working again. Doesnt surprise me at all that its having issues. I would think there would be a slightly more elegant solution than a cheap metallic claw stuck to a pcb with grease.

I tried searching for some troubleshooting, but the results are always for the function of the switch instead of the switch itself.
Any ideas what would cause a switch to not function when it seems it should be? It isnt dependent on the bulb completing a circuit is it?

Edit: I found it in the service manual. The bulbs complete the circuit between terminals 1 and 2, and they have to be in just right. Just out of curiousity, what size leds and which resistors should i use if i want to swap them out?

#211 ·
Just out of curiousity, what size leds and which resistors should i use if i want to swap them out?
I checked my previous post. It looks like I used 680ohms with the 0603 LEDs that I used for everything else. This kept the current around 20mA. No issues so far.

#213 ·
This thread is extremely old I know, but I'm hoping for an answer.....

Probably a stupid question, but are the cluster and HVAC PCB's the same in the Evo's throughout this thread as an 09 GTS? Specifically are the LED's in the same position and the same type (0603 for HVAC dials and 0805 for defrost, etc)?

Hoping for an answer before I decide to just hope they're the same and order LED's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.