Sleeper MR - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Build Journals
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Build Journals Build journals specifically for the Evo X. One thread per build. Be sure to read the sticky.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Galownia

Sleeper MR

I picked up a 2011 Evo X MR Touring with all the options in the spring of 2014. I wanted the AWD for the snow, and the SST so that my wife can also drive the car. Four doors so that I can put my son in the back.
I plan to improve the car, but unlike my other cars, which require disclaimers before I let anyone drive them (e.g. don't get off the gas or use the breaks mid-corner, xyz noise is normal, etc), I want to keep this one stock appearing and functioning, but handle better and drive faster and maintain a high level of reliability. I would like to occasionally auto-x or track.

My priorities are maintenance/ reliability, handling, lightweighting (maintaing safety, stock appearance an functionality), transmission upgrade, then power upgrade. Opportunistic tasteful appearance mods (e.g. have a RedLineGoods e-brake cover. May have custom sun visor covers made - the stockers are not what I would expect in a car of this caliber) To date, it is a fun car, but getting better:

As of purchase:
- It's got the AMS STX400 minus the cat back exhaust. Tune puts it at 327 awhp and 332 awtq on 93 octane, about 10 less all around for 91 octane.
Future plans:
- Power: 2.2L, bigger turbo and supporting mods
- Handling: a quality coilover and supporting mods
- Lightweighting: Focus will be on unsprung and/ or rotational mass (e.g. Girodisc, lightweight driveshaft, possible lighter wheels if I can find a killer deal)
- Reliability: will focus on track use
Pictures:
With ugly winter wheels and snow tires:

Interior shot:
Galownia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
Galownia

Fast forward to end of 2016. Lots of issues, but the car is "done." Now to get it out to some events to try it out.

Before the car got to where it is now, I tried to do a stock bottom end build, including clutch work from Kozmic, to keep costs down. When that ran into some issues (hard to tune, idle problem, etc), I decided to build the bottom end and do something reliable enough to do track days without undue worry. The results are below. The interim inlcuded a MAP EF2.5 turbo and supporting fuel with a nice Tanabe Medalion Touring 2.75" exhaust.

Summary of what has changed from above:

Power (454whp... in an MR on 93)
- 2.2L stroked, built bottom end
- GTX3576R turbo + supporting fuel (replacing a MAP EF2.5 with anti-surge)
- GSC S2 cams and supporting cam parts
- MAP Rev 3 ceramic coated intake
- MAP ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifold
- Cobb quad tip exhaust
- Kozmic surge tank set up (for track use)
- Synapse BOV
- 3.5" MAF
- Cobb quad exhaust (replacing Tanabe Medalion Touring 2.75")

Handling
- Ohlins R&T with custom spring rates (bonus: ~28lbs weight reduction)
- Hotchkis hollow sways with supporting hardware (bonus: ~7lbs weight reduction)
- Perrins PSRS
- Alignment

Transmission health
- Kozmic Magic Pack v1
- Dodson heated sump
- Mishimoto X-line radiator (extra capacity to cool the sump and engine)

Weight reduction
- Lightweight battery and mounting kit (~17lbs)
- Kozmic atmospheric breather and front bumper support bracket (~4lbs)

To install
- Girodisc and new pads (have, bonus - ~20lbs unsprung, rotational mass weight reduction)
- New wheels (18x9.5 +22 - need to find and order with bonus 10-12lbs weight reduction target)

Car is a blast to drive now. Pulls harder and earlier than when I bought it. Handles so much better. Great car!

Kozmic also cleaned up my engine bay a bit and did some powder coating to everything matched up. Very professional job with quality parts. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Galownia; 11-28-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:10 AM   #3
Leon.D
Just Spooling Up

Nice, should be a beast. Just bought my wife a 2014 MR, a few things on your list i will be doing to our MR as well. Post more pics.
Leon.D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #4
Galownia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon.D View Post
Nice, should be a beast. Just bought my wife a 2014 MR, a few things on your list i will be doing to our MR as well. Post more pics.
Thanks Leon - the MR is a fun platform to build up, congratulations on the new purchase. There are a few quirks to building an MR, and Kozmic did an amazing job sorting out some of the oddities throughout the build.

More pics coming.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
Galownia

A note on exhausts and "drone" commonly reported:

I started the build with an EF2.5 and supporting mods, coupled to a Tanabe Medalion Touring. The Tanabe is nice for several reasons: it looks great, it flows better than stock, and it is lightweight. And it is inexpensive. You can find these for ~$750 or so brand new.

The Tanabe, with its 2.75" ID is just different enough from the usual 3" of aftermarket exhausts that it shifts the resonance so you don't get as much drone at highway speeds. This was why I initially chose it.

Fast forward to today, and I have the Cobb Quad on the car. I don't like that it is HEAVY. However, I needed more flow for the build, and this was another option that has reports of minimal drone. What I have observed is that with the 2.2L on my car, there is NO drone at any speed that I could find. Idle is a bit obnoxious in the car, but everywhere else is very pleasant. Even at WOT, the sound is pleasant and not too loud, at all. Very nice setup and highly recommended.

Last edited by Galownia; 11-28-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Galownia

Oil filter note:

When I got the car back from Kozmic, it had a Denso 150-2043 oil filter. This cross references to a Napa Gold 1334. If you look up the NG filter for the Lancer, you'll see a 1356, which is much narrower and slightly taller than the Denso 150-2043/ NG 1356.

So, in summary:
  • Napa Gold 1356 (What is looked up at Napa)
  • Napa Gold 1334 (preferred alternative)
  • Denso 150-2043 (preferred alternative)

Last edited by Galownia; 11-30-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-29-2016, 03:44 AM   #7
Galownia

On tires and wheel size:

Observation:
Stock size Bridgestone RE-71 spin in gears 1-4 during acceleration. And at 80mph in 4th, for instance. Traction control is nearly always engaged.

Conclusion:

Acceleration is traction limited. I need stickier or wider tires for the level of power currently in the car. Prefer wider as much stickier approaches race rubber and loses some safety in the rain.

I would like to go to an 18x9.5 +22 with 265's, and save some weight doing it.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Galownia

Adding some pictures:

Engine bay:

Ride height at the front on the Ohlins:
Old 12-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
Monstercz4a
n00b

nice build
Monstercz4a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #10
Cflo23
Just Spooling Up

Just picked up a 15 MR myself, looking forward to following your build.
Cflo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement