Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Tips on how to go about this mod list?

3K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  Joeyrukkus 
#1 ·
Whats the very first thing i need to do? I know with most of the stuff on here im going to need a tune right after so should i buy my Cobb AP before anything? Im not going to be able to buy everything all at once but i split it up into 3 major mods groups. Im not even sure if i should go with Cobb AP or just a regular tune. Im thinking buy the Cobb AP and gradually purchase items and tune with the AP. Idk i just want some tips and advice on how you guys think i should get this going. Also, anything you'd take out? Anything you'd add?

Intake
CB Exhaust
HFC
EBCS
Tune

AMS FMIC
LICP
AMS Downpipe
Tune

Bigger injectors
Bigger fuel pump
E85
Tune

See less See more
#2 ·
coming from an access port owner, just get a tune. i bought one mod at a time over a month or two. then put everything on in one weekend. which was like sex, but better because theres no cuddling after. but i digress i bought an access port and a 3 port last, and having no maps for my car my 3 port is still sitting in the garage. cobb still has no maps for under boosting cars. im stuck using the map i got from ams when i got there stage 2 package. just avoid the access port headache, i wish i did.

#3 ·
You could replace LICP with an UICP on your list. The stock LICP is good stuff...it doesn't have that nasty bottleneck like the UICP has. List looks good. EBCS isn't needed early on IMO. Do a CBE, intake, HFC and tune and you should around 300awhp on 91, maybe more. You're in L.A., so you're going to RRE for tuning?

#4 · (Edited)
I already have an UICP. Who is RRE? Also, after what mods do you think i should throw in the EBCS to be most effective?

#5 ·
What is your time frame to buy all these parts? If it is a month or two I would wait until you have everything to install and get tuned once, that alone will save you money if you are not going to use the Cobb AP. Also if you look on the forum you will find a lot of the parts you are looking for, that can save you hundreds as well.

You will learn real fast who RRE and Bake are lol.

#6 ·
I was actually pretty confident with the access port. Was thinking to go mod at a time and tune for them with the access port since i don't want to buy like 5 items within a month or two and have them sit there i don't think i have the patience to wait to get a whole bunch then install and tune. Whats wrong with an AP? I thought it was the more popular option..

#7 ·
ttt

#16 · (Edited)
What do you think I can install without a tune?

Also how much whp you guys think I can get from the first set up and then the second set up? Ignore the 3rd set up with injectors and e85 that's for later.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
The problem with the access port is that there in almost zero support. They removed all the v200 maps then waited 6 months to put out betas of the v400 maps. Theres no hwg maps either, so if you underboost youre screwed. Also the 2011 mr maps have clutch issues with the maps.

#11 ·
One more thing...since most mods are going to need a tune would I be getting them installed at the tuners shop? Since I can't get it installed somewhere else or install myself then drive to the tuner untuned. Or is it okay to drive a bit? I'd enjoy installing whatever I can myself.

#13 · (Edited)
Im 100% stock except for an UICP right now. My question is if there are items for example AMS CAI that require a tune how bad would it be to install it myself and drive without a tune? Also what is the norm? Do people just get all their parts installed at the tuners shop then tune all in one day or what?

#15 ·
I'm using the Cobb ap. parts list is Blouch dominator 2.0, ams 3" intake, Cpe down pipe, competition stage 3 clutch, ssp v3 cmc, rexpeed dual bung test pipe, agency power catback dual exit, aem wideband, autometer boost, and a grim speed 3 port. Waiting on my ets 3.5 fmic kit. Run the ams beta 93 octane map on a crushed stock diverter valve. I don't go into redline ever. Haven't had any asc light or cell come on since having the tune installed. I check my access port every day when I start her up and see if any are displays in the trouble shoot. Right now I'm learning or researching how to dial in bigger injectors with the Cobb access tuner program. One thing I suggest if you get the ams intake take it easy on your car. I road with out a tune for a year and one time or another I over boosted and I felt like my car was crying in the inside :'/

#18 ·
The most you can install without NEEDING a tune is UICP, LICP, and catback. You might overboost a bit with the UICP since the stock tune kinda compensates for the stock UICP expanding under high boost.

After your stage 1, I'd say around 330whp on a dynojet. Stage 2, maybe 350whp. Stage 3, close to 400whp

#22 ·
If I do the access port which ots map would I use for my 2012? They are all beta set for only stock airbox or Cobb intake. Could I use the 2008?

#23 · (Edited)
Sry double post.

#26 ·
For having over 200 posts, these seem like some very basic questions. Though I hear you on the cobb ap or pro tune issue. From what I've gathered, if you're not out trying to create a track racing beast and just want to keep your car safe and give it more power then the cobb ap should be just fine.

#29 ·
The OTS maps might be just fine but nothing is going to beat a pro tuner taking the time to evaluate how any set of mods will effect how the car operates. It's a 30k car, you just spent how much on mods, don't skimp when you want all of those things to work in harmony and not to ventilate your block.

#27 · (Edited)
The whole second round you have there should be left off if you don't have plans to ever go with a bigger turbo. It'll cost you over a grand not including install and might net you 5-10 hp.

All you need to max out the stock turbo is: EBCS, Test pipe/HFC, Intake, Catback, UICP, Tatrix, MAYBE a BPV if the stocker starts leaking.

With a good tune that gets just about everyone to around 330-360 HP/TQ.

EDIT: DON'T FORGET A WIDEBAND!

#28 · (Edited)
I didn't read your whole thread, but this is similar to what I had originally planned. From experience this is what you will instead end up doing:

HFC and catback exhaust
EBCS
Tune

Gauges

AMS FMIC
LICP /UICP & upgraded diverter valve
AMS Downpipe
Tune

New Clutch

Transmission Rebuild

Suspension work (if nothing but to get rid of that wheel gap)

New wheels with meatier tires

Brakes

Bigger injectors
Bigger fuel pump
E85

#33 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for all your replies. So ive decided to first go with Speed Circuit UICP (installed), AMS intake, AMS DP, AMS HFC (On its way), Grimmspeed 3port, and a Speed Circuit Wicked Cat back along with a Cobb AP. Sound good?? Im still unsure on what map i should use. Can someone help me out with that please? So ill get the OTS and will get pro tuned later down the road when i get a few more mods.

Someone earlier said to go with the LWG maps. I'll be honest idk what low waste gate is. I also don't know what a tactrix cable is. I did very light google searching and didn't find much info. So if anyone can shed some light i'd appreciate it!

#37 ·
Just my .02 but you should ditch the downpipe and get a wideband and an E-tune instead. With those mods you will have the stock turbo tapped out. The DP is going to show negligible gains on the stock turbo and the gains you will see with a pro tune is going to be huge and safe.

#34 ·
um, well they don't have any ots maps to use with the grimmspeed 3-port.

If you skip installing the 3-port, then you should install the STAGE 2 + AMS intake. Which I'm not sure is available on their site anymore. if it isn't send me a PM, and I can email you it later tonight.

#35 ·
Well ive got the 2012 and they dont have AMS available yet. Would it be okay to use the 2008 maps? They have beta versions for their cbcs Cobb boost control solenoid for '12 I've read that it works with the grimmspeed..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.