Evo X "whine" - Help with the diagnosis - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 09-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #11
DavidEvoX13
n00b

Wasn't a boost leak. I've also determined that it happens when off throttle, even at higher RPMs it's just more apparent above 2.5k. If I get to 5k RPMs and completely let off, the noise is still there and goes away below 2k.

At this point I'm starting to get concerned because I have no idea what it is. I've been told it could be my wastegate, or something with the intake and putting my air box back on but I really don't think it has anything to do with boost at all based off the whine is there when letting off throttle, any more ideas would be helpful.
DavidEvoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #12
PredatorV2
n00b

How are your fuel trims. I would check them at ldle and at around the RPM and load when you say it's loudest to see if they dramatically change
PredatorV2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #13
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Alternator whine? May be water pump or oil pump? Belt drive?

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #14
turismolover22
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanEvo2012 View Post
Alternator whine? May be water pump or oil pump? Belt drive?
If its RPM dependent only and not load based, this is a good possibility. There is an issue with some of the OEM idler pulleys as well, the stock plastic one is known to cause problems. I can't recall if I've expressed this before.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
If its RPM dependent only and not load based, this is a good possibility. There is an issue with some of the OEM idler pulleys as well, the stock plastic one is known to cause problems. I can't recall if I've expressed this before.
Yes, I remember about those as well. Though my car is 2012 and still has stock belt since day one at 110k miles. I check it regularly, also have a spare one, but it keeps going without issues.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #16
white01ss
n00b

Are you guys running the engine cover? That things masks a good bit of noise.

Mine makes a bit of whine when the engine bay gets heat soaked and no engine cover.
white01ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #17
DavidEvoX13
n00b

Hi guys, cannot believe I've been dealing with this for so long.

So the problem is coming from the rockford fosgate radio, specifically right at the area where the time is displayed. I remove the fuse and the sound has gone away. However I want my radio, so I purchased a new rockford fosgate radio display in hopes this would fix the problem, and I have the same result.

The only thing I recently added prior to this issue was gauges (VLS) in the car, but the issue didn't pop up right away. I spoke with the guy who installed them and stated the gauges have nothing to do with it.

Does anyone have ideas on what can cause this and how to fix it?
DavidEvoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 11:28 PM   #18
turismolover22
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEvoX13 View Post

So the problem is coming from the rockford fosgate radio, specifically right at the area where the time is displayed. I remove the fuse and the sound has gone away. However I want my radio, so I purchased a new rockford fosgate radio display in hopes this would fix the problem, and I have the same result.

The only thing I recently added prior to this issue was gauges (VLS) in the car, but the issue didn't pop up right away. I spoke with the guy who installed them and stated the gauges have nothing to do with it.

That whine is likely "ground loop interference" Often caused by power wires running parallel to audio wires, or electronics that transmit audio. It sounds like you need a power conditioner, or perhaps a shielded power and ground wire to the radio.

Is it at all possible to check wiring and see if the issue persists with the stereo in another car? It could also be an issue with the factory amp, so don't rule that out either. You could test that out by disconnecting the amp and keying the car on/starting it. Or pulling the amp fuse, relay etc.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 AM   #19
Metal_AF
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEvoX13 View Post

That whine is likely "ground loop interference" Often caused by power wires running parallel to audio wires, or electronics that transmit audio. It sounds like you need a power conditioner, or perhaps a shielded power and ground wire to the radio.

Is it at all possible to check wiring and see if the issue persists with the stereo in another car? It could also be an issue with the factory amp, so don't rule that out either. You could test that out by disconnecting the amp and keying the car on/starting it. Or pulling the amp fuse, relay etc.
Yup, my stereo did this straight from the dealer. I never cared to fix it, but I knew the sound as soon as I heard it due to doing a crappy job installing and grounding a stereo in my first car. haha
Any idea what the guy grounded to and tapped for power on the gauges? Most people wire into the fuse box in the front driver side, but he could have done something funny behind the stereo in the center.
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement