Lower, Stiffer, Sticky-er (opinions?) - Page 3 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
2011EvoXMR
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye View Post
Hitting enter twice between paragraphs helps.

You should adjust/modify suspension to tire stickiness. The stiffer you go the stickier the tire you need. Yes going from soft to medium will either over-steer or under-steer depending on if you stiffen the rear or front respectively.

Just because you added suspension parts does not mean you are cornering better. Just starting with the springs first before the sway bars should have been the path or vice versa. I know just adding stiffer springs made a difference for me. But there was still some roll. I went to CO's and they were stiffer and the roll went away slightly. I know all this because I tested them both at the same speed at the same limits on the same tires.

From here on out just drive your car like you would normally. Keep an eye on tire wear and read up on the suspension threads. A lot of guys mention getting the roll center kit if you do any suspension modifications.

Stay safe. Good luck!
Wow, thank you. I was beginning to think no one had anything constructive to say. I did get the roll center kit btw.

Other than this reply, the thread was basically worthless and the trolls ate it up. Guess next time I'll take more time putting together a more comprehensive question instead of vomiting sentences together.
2011EvoXMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #22
UT GG EVO X
Just Spooling Up

Ive read that the best setting to have your upgraded rear sway bar on is the medium setting
UT GG EVO X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #23
Demi
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT GG EVO X View Post
Ive read that the best setting to have your upgraded rear sway bar on is the medium setting
Lot of factors there. Front and rear stiffness settings, chamber, ect. No clear cut answer, you just have to pay with it.
Build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

87.4% <- real time feed.
Demi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #24
youlose

I have similar mods on my X from wheel offset to suspension mods less the roll center kit. I ran the invos on the track in a 265/35/18 setup and they perform well. As they have worn, using them on the track they have their limits and that is where I do my testing. I have supporting brake pad and line upgrades. Now we run a 255/35/18 toyo r888 and that change alone netted 3 seconds difference on track. Not a tire we run on the street for fear of damage or puncture but a cast improvement. As for alignment I set up the X with 2.5 negative in front and 2 negative in the rear. Ran one track day with the rear sway set to medium and felt this was a good starting point since I did not get the upgraded end links. Now its set to full stiff as I feel it helps with turn in and exit speeds. We run this all the time now and the response is very precise and just how I like it. My wife drives the X on and off the track and will relay input from the adjustments I make and what she feels and I try to match it to her style. So far so good. I have an Evo 9 that I use and it has coilovers from the guys at AMR and couldn't be happier. It took a couple events to get them dialed in but once I did the car is really taking form. The next upgrade for the X will definitely be coilovers from the same guys as they have proven to be one of the best upgrades I have done so far. If any of this info helps or I can assist/ explain a different way please feel free to ask.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
youlose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #25
turbo x gsr
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick3d View Post
1. the stock tire is great.
2. that tire is crap you are confused.

Here are the standings from the Car and Driver Tests for Affordable Performance Tires. It barely beat some chinese crap tire so I guess there is that to feel good about.
Hmm how old is this list? I don't see the hankook rs-3"s on there.I know they are #1 on the autocross tire list then the star specs then the khumo xs for performance street tires. Affordable must be the key word here. I can tell you from personal experiance that the s- drives really suck!! Sidewall is not stiff enough for spirited cornering. I've also have only heard bad things about the hankook v-12 evo. Mabey they also take into consideration "wet" performance??
420 whp 404 tq / FP GREEN /18 psi actuator and porting upgrade for turbo/Cobb 3 inch turbo inlet/AMS transmission gate selector bushings/AMS clutch lines , master cylinder reinforcement ring and under hood shifter bushings/Southbend kevlar race clutch/ 3 port /FIC 1100's / Rex Speed dp / Magnaflow quiet cat back / 3 inch racing cat / Walboro 255 / K&N drop in / Perrin rear sway, endlinks / swift spec-r's /18x10 +15 offset Wedsports SA-55M's/ 285-35-18 R-S3/ shep trans and center diff upgrades/
turbo x gsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
2011EvoXMR
Just Spooling Up

Im curious as to why people take these "Top 10" lists so serious. Sure they take the facts from paper and often use peoples opinions. But its like only looking at Car and Drivers Top 10 best cars and buying the number 1 pick just cuz they said so.
My friend has the S Drives and hates them. You might think the Invos suck. But the FACT is, I had wheel spin off a launch on my stock Yoko's. I have zero wheel spin on my Invo's. Those kind of results are good enough for me.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
Demi
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011EvoXMR View Post
Im curious as to why people take these "Top 10" lists so serious. Sure they take the facts from paper and often use peoples opinions. But its like only looking at Car and Drivers Top 10 best cars and buying the number 1 pick just cuz they said so.
My friend has the S Drives and hates them. You might think the Invos suck. But the FACT is, I had wheel spin off a launch on my stock Yoko's. I have zero wheel spin on my Invo's. Those kind of results are good enough for me.
Tire tests arent like lollipop tests. Or poetry reads. Tires are not objective. There are no tires that "touch you", at least there shouldn't be. True tests are the only real consumer data we have. It absolutely matters. Your wheel spin issue could be down to some many factors it makes my head swim. There are loads of guys on here that actually race. We know what we are on about. Why did you make the thread if you have no interest in listening to those that have the answers? Your knowledge in this area is limited, thats not me being a prick thats me explaining to you the reality of the situation. There is so much to know that we could spend our lives reading and not know it all, but you need at least a basic understanding, and you need to know what you dont know. Your attitude sucks. "Uhhh guys, I need advise." followed by "you guys dont know what youre talking about, my fisherprice tire is good enough for me." makes people homicidal. Then saying a multi thousand dollar test performed by an respected international driving publication has less to offer that your "punch the gas" test, is borderline psychotic. Please. Please read up about tires. Learn how different tires react in different conditions and why. Educate your self on types, compounds, uses, ect... then come back and tell us why you believe what you believe.
Build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

87.4% <- real time feed.
Demi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #28
MikeM
Just Spooling Up

Wait that wasnt poetry?

I know the pieces fit.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #29
2011EvoXMR
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi View Post
Tire tests arent like lollipop tests. Or poetry reads. Tires are not objective. There are no tires that "touch you", at least there shouldn't be. True tests are the only real consumer data we have. It absolutely matters. Your wheel spin issue could be down to some many factors it makes my head swim. There are loads of guys on here that actually race. We know what we are on about. Why did you make the thread if you have no interest in listening to those that have the answers? Your knowledge in this area is limited, thats not me being a prick thats me explaining to you the reality of the situation. There is so much to know that we could spend our lives reading and not know it all, but you need at least a basic understanding, and you need to know what you dont know. Your attitude sucks. "Uhhh guys, I need advise." followed by "you guys dont know what youre talking about, my fisherprice tire is good enough for me." makes people homicidal. Then saying a multi thousand dollar test performed by an respected international driving publication has less to offer that your "punch the gas" test, is borderline psychotic. Please. Please read up about tires. Learn how different tires react in different conditions and why. Educate your self on types, compounds, uses, ect... then come back and tell us why you believe what you believe.
Two things

1. They have lollipop tests?
2. Tell me more about those lollipop tests.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
2011EvoXMR
Just Spooling Up

The "punch the gas" test is called a launch. You've heard of launch control right? I will not deny that I am a baby when it comes to the performance world and I know Im still learning.
However, the launch tests were done on the same roads in the same weather conditions launched at the same RPM's the same amount of times.
This obviously isnt the determining factor in which makes the "better" tire. Like I said before, on paper one is better than the other. Im not tracking my car right now so why do I need a track tire?
All I stated above was that one tire gave me more gip on a launch than the other tire did.
I just paid $800 on tires and all you want to do is tell me how stupid I was and what a waste of money I made. Thats not productive.
My original post was NOT about the tires. It was saying "hey, I made all these changes and this is whats happening."

Last edited by 2011EvoXMR; 01-04-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement