Evo X Handling Package Review (ISC, Cobb & Whiteline) - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
kcandiloro
[Local Team Member]

Evo X Handling Package Review (ISC, Cobb & Whiteline)

I recently worked with Kaizen Tuning to purchase and install a handling package on my Evo X. The items purchased included:
  • ISC Coilovers
  • Cobb Front and Rear Sway Bars
  • Whiteline Endlinks

Until now my car had been on stock suspension and sway bars which are decent for a daily driver. The MR level Bilstein struts and Eibach springs are good for every day comfort while still performing well for a stock setup. However, I was looking for a solution that would produce less body roll and allow better feel of the road.

The stock MR spring rates are reported to be ~3.5 kg Front and 2.9 - 3.8 kg Rear while the ISC Street Sport configuration spring rates are listed as 8 kg Front and 6 kg Rear. This is a jump from the soft side of the scale well into the moderate portion. I've never installed aftermarket suspension in any of my vehicles before so I was a little wary going in that a full coil solution might sacrifice too much comfort for daily use. However, they haven't found a cure for the mod bug yet and I went ahead with the install. At the very least I would learn something in the end.

Kaizen has fairly recently begun offering ISC suspension products and I believe this was their first set installed for the Evo X. The quality of the parts appears excellent and the price was very reasonable. ISC is local to the Massachusetts area and they stress their commitment to customer service. Kaizen has been happy with the response they get from ISC, so I expect if I ever have issues with their product that it will not be a hassle to get assistance. It would be nice to never need to test that policy, but if it ever comes down to it I will share my experience.

It was pretty much a toss-up between the Cobb sway bars and the Whiteline solution. Whereas the Whiteline bars are solid construction and may be a bit more resilient, the Cobb bars are hollow, but with a larger diameter. This meant that performance between the two is similar since they both offer comparable rigidity, however from reading reviews of both sets, it appeared that the Cobb pieces have a slight edge in overall weight and build quality. In the end, I purchased the Cobb set during their 10% off sale so that pushed the Cobb pieces over the edge for me.

Kaizen recommends either Whiteline or Perrin brand end links for the Evo X. I went with the Whiteline links. I'm not sure Perrin offers a set of front links for the Evo X since they're not listed on their web site...

Let's start out with photos of the stock setup. This photo is with the stock suspension setup and my winter wheels (stock size and offset):

The next photo shows the new suspension setup with the same winter wheels:

Right away everything looks better, of course. The stock Evo spring height just isn't aesthetically pleasing and I always thought the MR setup was a little worse in the looks department than the GSR, since the front looked even higher. One of my next projects will probably be tackling the wheel offset, but it looks a little worse in pictures than it does in person so I can live with it for a bit.

I've taken a few drives since I've gotten these parts installed and so far I am very pleased with the outcome. The increase in spring rate that the ISC coils provide is definitely noticeable, but the ride quality is still comfortable enough for daily use. I took my wife out to lunch in the Evo and asked her if she had noticed any differences. She said that she hadn't noticed anything. Let me underscore that my wife is not a car person so I wouldn't expect her to note any improvements in handling, however if comfort had been drastically affected she would definitely have noticed. I call that a win folks, especially with the poor condition of the local roads after the crazy winter. Additionally, I don't notice any new interior rattles than I had with the stock suspension setup and I was thankful for that.

There are quite a few twisty back roads in the Nashua / Hollis area and I had a lot of fun trying them out with the new setup. Steering is super-sharp and the car holds through turns and over crests fantastically. Cornering is flat and tidy. One other thing I've noticed happening more often is the activation of traction control during starts on an uneven surface. I guess that is a result of increased rigidity where one wheel may not have as much traction as the rest. I'm not assuming this is any kind of issue worth investigating. Maybe I'm just having too much fun with my right foot.

Overall, I'm very happy with the upgrades. I really hope I can make it to some track or autocross events this season to really test it all out.

Thanks to Kaizen for their help selecting upgrade parts and the quality installation work they provided. I have to say that I would recommend the ISC coilovers for anyone looking for an improved street setup with performance that will certainly carry over onto the track. The Cobb sway bars and Whiteline end links round out the package nicely. I'll be sure to post any updates as they come.

One small correction: My winter rims are stock size and offset, but the tires are 235 width instead of 245.

Adding more installed pics from swapping out winter wheels:

ಠ_ಠ

2008 MR Phantom Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by kcandiloro; 04-11-2013 at 01:49 AM.
kcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Baller4u2nv
Just Spooling Up

good review man. Those sways sound like fun
Baller4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Svenis
[Local Team Member]

Awesome write up. Hopefully I'll get to see this in person next month.

2010 Evo X GSR Octane Blue
Kaizen Pro Tune | Sakura Octane Blue Intake | Sakrua Octane Blue UICP | Sakura LICP | Sakura FMIC | Synapse DV
Cobb 3Port | Tomei DP | Turbo XS HFC | HKS Single Exit | Hotchkis Front & Rear Sway Bar | SSR Type C's
Svenis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Boston_eagle
Forum Lackey

Good write up, another example of Kaizen and the Kaizen Tuning difference!

Quote:
The Colonel's new recipe is E85, bitches.
Boston_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
tRUffleSHuffle6
Just Spooling Up

Where did you get those tails? Those are nice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
tRUffleSHuffle6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
kcandiloro
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller4u2nv View Post
good review man. Those sways sound like fun
Thank you. So far so good. It's sort of like getting used to a new car again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenis View Post
Awesome write up. Hopefully I'll get to see this in person next month.
Thanks, rides are $2 each

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_eagle View Post
Good write up, another example of Kaizen and the Kaizen Tuning difference!
Of course. It was worth the patience of a couple days' work. I don't know how the guys stand it when they're car is in the shop getting upgrades for weeks. Kaizen always does great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRUffleSHuffle6 View Post
Where did you get those tails? Those are nice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Depo Ralliart style tails off eBay. They've held up great for a couple years now. The indicator reflector is clear instead of amber on the OEM RA tails.

ಠ_ಠ

2008 MR Phantom Black

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by kcandiloro; 04-01-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Demon X
[Local Team Member]
aka JDAVID-EVO X

Nice! Car looks way better now

E85ARMY/Baka Unchi tuned

R.I.P M.LOMKER
Demon X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
WraithX
Dr. Evo?

Sweet ride Kev. I'll be slapping these on next week.
|Forced Performance
RED Ball Bearing Turbocharger|
|Custom Tomei ProCams |Kaizen 'Sakura' Race Manifold|

STOP BEING DICKS TO PEOPLE UNDER 100 POSTS

WraithX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
kcandiloro
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon X View Post
Nice! Car looks way better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithX View Post
Sweet ride Kev. I'll be slapping these on next week.
Thanks guys. I think you'll be happy with the coils. It'll be interesting to see how you like them.

ಠ_ಠ

2008 MR Phantom Black

Old 04-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
FreshYoungDude
Just Spooling Up

I might get a set soon but I'm going to see if they can put a 9-10k spring in back. Supposedly the stock rear suspension design warrants a slightly stiffer rear spring than the front for neutral handling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement