Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Issues with my 2008 MR SST

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  AthanasiosX 
#1 ·
Dear Friends,

First of all, I would like to state that I/we are based in Istanbul/TURKEY and unfortunately we have almost zero service support from local Mitsubishi over here. Luckily, I am a managing partner of a workshop which can handle extensive mechanical work including engine and gearbox builds etc etc. In the past, we have fully prepared and rallied Evo8,9s and also rally serviced Xs. However, we are not experienced neither with the SST nor with the ECU mapping kind of work. Currently, we do not own a MUT3 or PassThru Can + Tactrix system but this is another subject which I will mention and kindly ask your advice further in this thread.

I am having the following issues with my own stock 2008 MR SST’s gearbox ( 65.000 miles ).

Me and my son ( mostly him ), we have been driving our X since we have bought at 55.000 miles. We found out that the previous owner has serviced the car with Motul SST oil and a new filter recently prior to our purchase and we have not changed the oil since then.

When we bought the car there was a slight clutch slip which I could call also a kind of shaking during the initial roll and little bit from 1. To 2. Gear.

Then, lately the SST developed a rattling noise easily audible when the engine is idling. The noise gets kind of decreasing when the rpm increased but that is only due to engine noise is masking the rattling noise. I have not been driving the car for a while and my son told me that this noise started some time ago. Today, I took the car out for a test drive.

Normal mode light load easy test drive up and down with the auto gear changing showed not a significant slip. Sport mode in a more sportier drive also did not show up any issues to worry about and it even felt firmer gear changes up and down. Meanwhile, I have covered approx. 10 kms or so. Then I stopped and engage the Sport mode ( the car has the SS mode from the factory ) and pushed it hard thru the gears. But, I have lost the “ even “ gears and the SST was reluctant to change down, it kind of stuck on the 5th until I was down to 20-30kms of road speed. Then I tried accelerating and it was also reluctant to raising the gears but when I pushed It did by jumping the even gears. Something was seriously wrong. I pulled over and switch off the engine and started again. Even gears came back but certainly the slip was very prominent now. I drove back to workshop mainly on the Sport mode which the gear selection was OK. I did not try the SS mode again. However, I have noticed that even the roll out at the traffic lights was producing very significant slip.

We have a simple diagnostic device which connects to the car via the OBDII and it showed the code 1879 but since the this diag. Device is not something that I could rely on on the Evo X, I am not sure if there are any other codes which I am not able to see.

It seems that my clutch pack is gone. But, what else could be wrong ? What kind of repair and repair procedures waiting me ?

For example, if I buy a quality uprated clutch pack ( thinking about power increase in the future ) from Kozmic or another reputable supplier then as the car being a 2008 model how am I going to install without having the “ teach-in” capability or without having the PassThru Can ?

I have lots of concerns but as being quite far away from the nearest service somehow we have to service our SST. Therefore, I would very much appreciate your help and advice to find the best direction towards the repair.

Also, I have read lots of posts regarding the PassThru Can and Tactrix but I am confused and I am not sure which is the latest update on the procedures to install the software to my computer and run the PassThru Can successfully.

Thank you.
Kerem

See less See more
#3 ·
https://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242274

There's some information there on this code. Why it's only doing it in Super-Sport is hard to tell for me, but the "losing odd gears" issue has been well documented in the forums.

The shift fork magnet likely came out of spec and is "loose" in the arm, or is clogged with metallic debris as mentioned by Eric in the thread I posted.

The fact the transmission was serviced with Motul DCTF gives that theory a bit more weight too. I don't think your problem is strictly clutch related (although the clutch also be on its way out) but the fact you're losing the even gears is a bit more involving than just replacing the clutch basket.

What you could do is try to flush the transmission with mineral oil, then replace the fluid with Diaqueen SSTF, which is OEM Fluid and the only thing Kozmic recommends (they won't warranty their SSTs if you use anything else). Since you're in Turkey it might not be available there, but in Europe and South America it's Castrol BOT 341, and I believe Castrol Transmaxx Dual in Australia that Mitsubishi dealerships use for servicing the transmission.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/0...ns/585531-right-way-flush-your-sst-trans.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/m...uipped-models/590515-all-about-sst-fluid.html

If the issue is just a clogged or dirty magnet, I've read some have had success with a flush + refill. If not... then you will probably have to get the transmission rebuilt and the magnets repaired.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

#4 ·
Hello AİZ,
Thank you very much for your reply and the valuable links. I will certainly look into oil issues and flushing the box with Mineral Oil. Kozmic's flushing method with 1,5 gallons but twice sounds a good idea.

As I mentioned in my post, when I lost the even gears in the SS mode I have switched off the engine and re-started and drove back to workshop. When I restarted and driving back in the Normal and Sport mode, the EVEN gears came back and the STT changed gears up and down without problems but certainly there was a " slip " almost everywhere. But gears was engaging at least.

Could you think of any reason/s for the rattling noise from the gearbox I was clearly hearing at idle ?

By the way, I forgot to mention ( if it can have relevance to my SST issues ): Our car's speed limiter is set at 160 km/hr from the ECU but of course we can lift the limit.

#13 ·
Both the Ukrainian guy (Dima) and kozmic can fix/repair your valve body. Some of the springs that are inside the damper are probably also broken. I believe that you could find Castrol Trssmaxx dual fluid in Turkey, so use that, and of course do a full teach in when done with everything else. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.