Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

My next Tires....ExtremeContact DWS

4K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  mrvw67 
#1 · (Edited)
OEM is good in dry but scary during heavy rains and light snow/ice.Currently number one on Tire Rack.

Good Tire Rack test.

See less See more
1 2
#5 ·
I have the DWS tires on my X, and I'm pretty impressed with them so far. They are fun as hell with traction control off, but hold their own in even heavy snow. Our northeast snow storm is proof of that for me. And as for dry roads, they grip really well. They really impressed me considering they're an all season tire.

#7 ·
how are they in the summer for high speed handling? Anyone else have them and care to chime in?
I have heard good things about these as well, but I can't imagine they handle in the hot dry summer anywhere close to the OEM tires.

#10 ·
I have these exact tires on my 2010 EVO MR Touring and they are great. I just ran them while doing a winter driving course at O'Neil Rally school in New Hampshire, and drove them at high(er) speeds on the freeway home. Great for both purposes.

#14 ·
Well I'll give these tires another endorsement. Been running mine since December and I think they do everything rather well. This includes general handling and traction characteristics, along with the ability to maintain composure in the rain and snow. They are considerably softer than the OEM Yoko's on the aggressive turns, but I think that is more of a testament for the high performance nature of the stock tires than it is a flaw with the Conti's.

#19 ·
bought these back in october, never regretted them since. we got hit with 3 bad snow storms, two of them practically back to back (last saturday and yesterday), all with 18 inches or more of snow. car handled like a champ. my buddy with dedicated snow tires on his car was impressed. the only time i got stuck is when i ran out of ground clearance (car's fault not tires lol, stock ride height though), happened twice, less than 5 minutes of shoveling and i was back on the road both times.

#20 ·
I have both the Potenza RE960AS and the ExtremeContact DWS. They are both equally good. I think the Potenza RE960AS is a little too stiff for comfort. The ExtremeContact DWS has great sidewall stiffness, but still rides extremely comfortably.

In my opinion, the Yokohama and Goodyear tested in this review are not anywhere in the same league as the DWS or the RE960. The Michelin is a little old, and way too expensive to be of great comparison to the DWS.

The DWS is very reasonably priced, and has awesome treadwear. It's hard to beat the DWS.

#22 ·
I still love my RE960. They are wayy better than any all season tires from Kumho, Falken, Ventus, Sumitomo, Toyo... etc... The RE960, subjectively speaking, is probably one of the best Japanese premium all season tires.

The DWS is great probably because of newer compound and sidewall technologies that other companies will eventually start to utilize. For the EVO X sizes, the DWS is around $130 each, and sometimes less when on special at Tire Rack. That's a bargain.

#26 ·
I've been running these tires since November. I think i paid 580 something shipped from tire rack for these DWS's. I live about 30 miles north of chicago along lake michigan, so i definitely see some winter driving conditions. My X is my daily driver, and I love these tires in snow. Might not be as great as having a blizzak or something, but i have never feared for my life while driving through a snow storm. Haven't gotten to try them out in summer conditions, but based on the tread life, slightly softer ride, and grip during winter months, i'm sure i will enjoy these tires just as much in the summer too.

#27 ·
Just got a set of the DWS installed today, I only have about 50miles on them so far. I had about 19k on the Advan's, and these seem to be the best choice. I also use my X as a daily driver avg 70miles a day. The DWS, are definitely quieter+softer so steering response is not as it once was. I think I'll be happy with these though, I'll post again once I get some more miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.