My Evo broke me. - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 12-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
KonosP
n00b

My Evo broke me.

When I bought my 2013 GSR 2 years ago, I thought it was going to be the perfect car for me. I knew Evo's had weak clutches, but I thought having an absolutely solid engine would be more than enough to offset that.

Hit 50K Miles, replaced the OEM Clutch with a CLutch Master 400 and a Act Streetlite Flywheel.

It worked for a while, until it didn't.

The clutch didn't last long.
So, this time I tried an ACT clutch with the OEM Fly Wheel. And at first, it was absolutely perfect. Clutch bit right away, and gave me the confidence by clearly telling me when I'm in gear. My MC was leaking though, so I went and replaced it with an upgrade kit that used a Evo 9 MC and a reinforcement bracket.

Problem: the clutch is now so high despite being adjusted as low it can get that I burn my clutch even doing something as simple as going through a drive through. I had another mechanic tell me that the pedal or the MC wasn't installed or adjusted right, and I really don't want to think that the shop I've been going to for over 15 years didn't do it right. I spent about $5,000 on just this issue (and I'm still slowly paying my primary mechanic for the clutch install) and now I can't drive my car. A few friends couldn't drive my car either, but my sister can somehow.

I still need to it adjusted/fixed so I can drive the thing when I have to, but I already made the decision to sell the car to my sister when I'm done paying it off.

Paying 500 a month for a car I can't even fucking drive anymore. The car was a mistake, but the Evo community has been good to me every step of the way.

Love you guys.
It's time to be an Evo guy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KonosP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Kento240
Just Spooling Up

Wait. You spent $5k on what exactly? Clutch install and CMC install/ adjustment???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 GG EVO X, SSL, Aero, Sunroof
117K miles

2.2L Stroked and sleeved- Wiseco 10:1- Carrillo Pro H Beam Rods- GSC S2- ID1700- Walbaro 525LPH- Radium -8an Fuel Feed and Filter-Cosworth Rail- Aeromotive FPR- Driven Fab T4 EFR 8474 EWG Turbo Kit- MAP test pipe- HKS Hi Power CBE- OS Giken Twin Clutch- MAP CMC

Previous Cars:
2002 Eclipse GT (still own)
2009 Lancer GTS
2010 Evo X MR
2011 Evo X GSR (current)
Kento240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #3
KonosP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kento240 View Post
Wait. You spent $5k on what exactly? Clutch install and CMC install/ adjustment???
2 separate clutch kits, 2 fly wheels, CMC kit and labor for each

Old 12-02-2019, 12:37 AM   #4
Htothe
n00b

easier said than done - but can't you just adjust to the new clutch? having a clutch that engages at the top isn't bad once you get used to it
Htothe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 02:46 AM   #5
KonosP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htothe View Post
easier said than done - but can't you just adjust to the new clutch? having a clutch that engages at the top isn't bad once you get used to it
I tried, I can't get used to it. It's way too high, and now there's zero feedback when I'm actually in gear or not. What's worst is Inhave really bad anxiety problems which doesn't help - relevant because I throw up in the car whether I have anything in my stomach or not. I need to be sure that the car is in gear because I don't have the money for another clutch or install, and I'm sick of having to use a vomit bucket in the passenger seat.

The mechanic I took it too has it all the way adjusted already. That's why I reached out to another mechanic for a second opinion and he said it's set incorrectly. The problem is I can't get my days off to match my sister's so she can help me drive it almost 2 hours away to his shop.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
Kento240
Just Spooling Up

These things happen when you don't take your car to EVO specific shops. Some times you pay more in the long run. Hope you get it sorted out. Not sure how you will manage your anxiety problems when dealing with this car. I sure hope you're not planning to heavily modify your evo. You will need an olympic swimming pool to contain the amount of vomit you will be doing.

117K miles

2.2L Stroked and sleeved- Wiseco 10:1- Carrillo Pro H Beam Rods- GSC S2- ID1700- Walbaro 525LPH- Radium -8an Fuel Feed and Filter-Cosworth Rail- Aeromotive FPR- Driven Fab T4 EFR 8474 EWG Turbo Kit- MAP test pipe- HKS Hi Power CBE- OS Giken Twin Clutch- MAP CMC

Previous Cars:
2009 Lancer GTS
2010 Evo X MR
2011 Evo X GSR (current)
Old 12-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
Yxd68
Forum Addict

Quote:
You will need an olympic swimming pool to contain the amount of money you will be needing.
FIFY.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #8
KonosP
n00b

Quote:
These things happen when you don't take your car to EVO specific shops. Some times you pay more in the long run. Hope you get it sorted out. Not sure how you will manage your anxiety problems when dealing with this car. I sure hope you're not planning to heavily modify your evo. You will need an olympic swimming pool to contain the amount of vomit you will be doing.
The sad part is I was essentially done. FA500 Coil Overs, upgraded rotors, a cat back and a intake + tuned. It's not the speed or power that makes me anxious (very appreciative that Evo's have a lot of head room, because that helps a lot in comparison to an FRS) it's the car no operating how I want it to, not knowing if I'm in gear, if I rool back too far because the clutch doesn't catch etc
Old 12-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
Kento240
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonosP View Post
The sad part is I was essentially done. FA500 Coil Overs, upgraded rotors, a cat back and a intake + tuned. It's not the speed or power that makes me anxious (very appreciative that Evo's have a lot of head room, because that helps a lot in comparison to an FRS) it's the car no operating how I want it to, not knowing if I'm in gear, if I rool back too far because the clutch doesn't catch etc

I think you missed the point I was making lol. The more you mod the evo the higher the chance something IS going to break. Your clutch problem is very very minor. Get the car over to an evo shop and get it resolved and be happy

The evo can be an emotional roller coaster. Maybe not just the evo, but mod lyfe over all.

117K miles

Previous Cars:
2009 Lancer GTS
2010 Evo X MR
2011 Evo X GSR (current)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
KonosP
n00b

I do know how that shit works because I learned from my dad's experience with his MR-2

That's why I only wanted to go this far, I didn't want to go that far down the rabbit hole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement