Locked out of reverse - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System Discussion for transmission, axle, driveshaft, and related systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:33 PM   #1
Ksa199812
n00b

Locked out of reverse

‘14 evo x GSR

Month or so ago I did some runs. Got home and my car would not go into reverse. Every other gear would work fine, no notchy shifts, no clutch slipping.

Next day I can finesse it into gear but be extra gentle with it. And a few days after that, it goes into gear perfectly fine. Like nothing ever happened.

Three days ago I did some runs again, and low and behold, it’s locking me out of reverse again. It hasn’t fixed itself and I cannot get into reverse at all. I’ve tried shifting into all sorts of combinations, mainly first and third, nothing has worked.

It’s only happened after pushing the car hard. Those have been the only two occurrences.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Ksa199812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 02:10 AM   #2
Kento240
Just Spooling Up

The exact same thing happened to me. I had to drive and be strategic about parking since I had no reverse lol. I was getting a few lockouts that would end up being resolved until one day it decided to never go in at all. I was stuck in a parking lot for 20 mins until it actually went into reverse prior to the absolute lockout. A very frustrating experience to say the least. My high rpm 4th going into 5th started to grind and I would get locked out of 5th. During normal driving 5th worked fine. I was suspecting the clutch being the issue.

My resolve ended up being a freakin bent shift fork -_-. I never rest my hand on the shifter unless i'm shifting and my tech knows and agreed that I drive like a boss. So we were a bit stumped as to how or why it happened. Car had about 110K miles on the clock when it happened and I had been running Redline tranny fluids i believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 GG EVO X, SSL, Aero, Sunroof
117K miles

2.2L Stroked and sleeved- Wiseco 10:1- Carrillo Pro H Beam Rods- GSC S2- ID1700- Walbaro 525LPH- Radium -8an Fuel Feed and Filter-Cosworth Rail- Aeromotive FPR- Driven Fab T4 EFR 8474 EWG Turbo Kit- MAP test pipe- HKS Hi Power CBE- OS Giken Twin Clutch- MAP CMC

Previous Cars:
2002 Eclipse GT (still own)
2009 Lancer GTS
2010 Evo X MR
2011 Evo X GSR (current)
Kento240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 11:31 PM   #3
turismolover22
X-phile

Is it locked out while the car is off or only when running?

If while running, its likely a clutch disengagement issue. Unless your fork was incredibly bent, or your shifter components that attach to the fork, it should at least "attempt" to go into gear.

Try it with the car off and let me know what you come up with. Even though reverse is synchronized, almost every trans is designed with a relatively "worn by nature" reverse synchro blocker so you cant accidentally shift into reverse while moving forward. A tell-tale test of clutch release health is being able to shift into reverse with the car on. You should be able to push the clutch in fully and count to 3 "Mississippi" and shift into reverse.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
AKStockX
n00b

Had something similar happen to me a few weeks ago. The car was fine until one morning it was difficult into get into reverse then later in the day it it wont even let me. Got it to a shop and we found it that the previous shop who did my clutch didn't properly installed the clutch. The bolts on the pressure plate was loose and wasn't fully engaging the clutch and that didnt allow it to go in reverse.
AKStockX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement