Just Purchased an Evo, Brembo Question + Boost/Bov Question - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
desh215

Just Purchased an Evo, Brembo Question + Boost/Bov Question

What's up everyone? Looking for some answers here about my Brembo brakes on my 2012 Evo X GSR.

I bought the car about 3-4 weeks ago now and during the motion of stopping, no matter how fast/slow the car was moving, I get an obnoxious sequel, worse then I've ever heard in any car, not to mention this only being barely 2 years old with on 12,XXX miles on it.

Long story short, I brought it back to the dealership for the Clutch Master Cylinder and Headlamp adjustment recalls, and included this information and more about the brakes. They had told me that the Evo with Brembo's are notorious for having loud screeching brakes. This is hard for me to believe considering how embarrassing it is with how loud the noise is. I cannot imagine with how expensive and powerful Brembo bakes are that they would be making a noise like they are now. If it was minor and every so often possibly I could agree and deal with what is going on, with what I am receiving right now I am very unsatisfied.

So my question for all of you is, what is the real answer? Is what they said really how Brembo brakes perform? Is there an alternate extremely good brake pad to switch too, or possibly switch to cross drilled and/or slotted rotors?

I am also concerned about the break dust. Rarely am I pushing the car to its limits and brake hard what so ever. Actually, I've been baby'ing her more than anything. What are the methods of reducing brake dust on the 12 Evo GSR?

Onto my second round of quick questions, I'm looking into buying a used (off of forums) non-fluttering BOV (this is my first turbo'ed car), will a after market Bov, bolt directly onto OEM parts? Do I need a charge pipe? Someone help me or direct me to this process. Secondly, a minor question I'm sure I can find easily but figured I would throw it in here at the end. Stock, when does the GSR hit boost (obviously looking for the RPM).

Any other good information you feel someone new should know would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I did read the NoOb threads and they are appreciated too. Hyperlinks to already established threads would work if that's easier.

Thanks,
Desh

#nocrust #dudeIalmosthadYou #R.I.P.
desh215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
scalpel
Just Spooling Up

Brakes squeal normal.
scalpel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Not a Wrench
Forum Lackey

I have never had my brakes squeal before maybe when I am going really slow and stopping at a light, but it is small and not annoying. Though they are performance brakes, and performance brakes do squeal a little more than regular brakes; however, not as much as you are describing.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
rotorglow_evox
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalpel View Post
Brakes squeal normal.
^ this, start getting use to the squealing of the brembo pads , if not change to a different set of pads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 RG GSR SSS
rotorglow_evox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
SlickNYC
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalpel View Post
Brakes squeal normal.
End thread.
SlickNYC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Malves85
[Local Team Member]

Its normal, especially when its cooler out. To possibly help I would suggest reinstalling the brake pads and using that purple brake grease on the back sides. Then bed the pads in. It may or may not help. I never bothered to try it, haha. I got new pads and no more squeal or insane dust. Just google evo x brake pads and you'll get plenty of threads of people talking about which pads work.

Keep the stock BOV. Its perfectly fine until you slap a bigger turbo on there. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Save the money for an exhaust or something else.

With any used sports car I would have it checked out before you mod it. Take it back to the dealer and get the 15k severe service done. Change every fluid, filter and spark plugs. Find a good shop and have them do a compression, leakdown and boost leak test. Have a tuner check out the tune on the car.
All too often people mod the car poorly then stuff breaks and they get fed up and just return the car back to stock as best they can and dump it at the dealer. Then you buy the car and have no idea what's been done/undone.
It may be overkill but it may save you from a blown motor in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Malves85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
BeastlyX
Just Spooling Up

Its not the calipers but the pads, these are performance pads which means that they need to warm up in order to function to 100% of its ability. With cold performance pads squealing is inevitable.

Current DD:
2011 Rally Red GSR

Previous Rides:
1999 Red Eclipse GSX - Sold
2002 Jet Black Eclipse GT - Sold
BeastlyX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
trick3d
Forum Addict

i didnt get any brake squeal on oem until I was past 20kmi.
Nagua's Mouth. It's open all the time.
trick3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement