My New Garage - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Community > Garage Talk
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Garage Talk Discuss all topics related to the garage. Topics may include garage setup, design, ideas, tools and equipment.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

My New Garage

So, to get this sub-forum started, here's my request for contributions. Some of you know that I am in the process of getting a new home built. I need some ideas for the new Garage.

Garage Setup:

1) Its a 2 car 20.5' X 21' and 12' high 2 Car Garage with a single door and a 3rd one is separate , also of the same height with its own door.
2) Walls and ceilings in the garages are finished.
3) Will have a tankless water heater and a Shop sink against the front wall in the 2 car garage.
4) ~2' concrete wall from basement sticks up from the bottom before the drywall begins in both garages.

Ideas/Wishlist:

1) Finish and seal Garage floor so that no oil seeps into the concrete and so its easy to clean.
2) Garage lift from MaxJax in the 2 car garage.
3) Proper stowing system for Roof box that goes on my SUV for long trips. Preferably something that suspends from the roof. Can be in either of the 2 garages. I have a 18 Cu Ft Yakima roof box.
4) Wall mounted shelves for typical storage and proper chest to include my socket and wrench sets including the electric drills etc.

Questions:

1) Best way to seal the garage floor and maintain for longevity
2) Any experience with MaxJax here? Saw some posts in Porsche forums but curious about hearing from evo owners.
3) Is the craftsman stuff anygood for the tool chests and wall mounted solutions.
4) Any experience with craftsman's flooring solutions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140118_10_56_54_Pro_zps7494e86a.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	156058  

Quote:
HA!! Yeah Orthojoe, quit being a vag in your safe, relatively practical cars...come back to us, come dance with the devil again....

Last edited by KickAss; 03-25-2014 at 04:37 PM.
KickAss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
InfantryMP
[Administrator]
[Local Team Member]
[Powder Coating Guru]

What is the area you are working with, do you have any blueprints yet?
InfantryMP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

Just updated the first post with all info, will post some pics later.

Quote:
HA!! Yeah Orthojoe, quit being a vag in your safe, relatively practical cars...come back to us, come dance with the devil again....

Old 03-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
Locust
Banned

Well a proper lift just seems mandatory. Make sure you have them wire cable / internet to the garage too so that you can work on Sundays while watching the games. Maybe see if they can organize your gas/water/electric piping such that you have a full wall that's completely blank with 3-4 feet of clearance for a full work bench?

Edit: Just saw your updated post. Craftsman from Sears is very good because it all comes with a lifetime warranty.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
InfantryMP
[Administrator]
[Local Team Member]
[Powder Coating Guru]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAss View Post
So, to get this sub-forum started, here's my request for contributions. Some of you know that I am in the process of getting a new home built. I need some ideas for the new Garage.

Garage Setup:

1) Its a 2 car 20.5' X 21' and 12' high 2 Car Garage with a single door and a 3rd one is separate , also of the same height with its own door.
2) Walls and ceilings in the garages are finished.
3) Will have a tankless water heater and a Shop sink against the front wall in the 2 car garage.
4) ~2' concrete wall from basement sticks up from the bottom before the drywall begins in both garages.

Ideas/Wishlist:

1) Finish and seal Garage floor so that no oil seeps into the concrete and so its easy to clean.
2) Garage lift from MaxJax in the 2 car garage.
3) Proper stowing system for Roof box that goes on my SUV for long trips. Preferably something that suspends from the roof. Can be in either of the 2 garages. I have a 18 Cu Ft Yakima roof box.
4) Wall mounted shelves for typical storage and proper chest to include my socket and wrench sets including the electric drills etc.

Questions:

1) Best way to seal the garage floor and maintain for longevity
2) Any experience with MaxJax here? Saw some posts in Porsche forums but curious about hearing from evo owners.
3) Is the craftsman stuff anygood for the tool chests and wall mounted solutions.
4) Any experience with craftsman's flooring solutions?

1. Epoxy seal. It takes 24 hours to cure, and you must wait the 24 hours before applying any additional coats. I would do atleast 4 or 5.

3. Craftsman is ok. I went with a Husky box because it seemed just as sturdy and it was 1/3 of the cost. It also didnt have a ton of negative reviews. So far I am impressed with the Husky box.

4. The mats and stuff that can go on the floor are ok, I mean i dont think they are really needed, but if you want them go for it.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

I read up a little bit about the concrete sealers and keep reading frequently that Epoxy seals will wear much sooner than another kind (can't remember). Are there new Epoxies in the market that are not subject to that comparison?

I'll be honest, I like craftsman because of their warranty program. Not sure if it applies to their tool chests though. Need to look into it deeper. But I am not limiting myself by brand if there are "better" choices out there which don't cost as much or last longer to begin with.

I am only looking at the mats and stuff IF I do not get the floor sealed properly.

EDIT: also added an earlier pic of the garage. Concrete floors and drywall are all in now and drywall is painted as well. You can catch a glimpse of the 3rd car garage on the left (evo's personal space )

Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
InfantryMP
[Administrator]
[Local Team Member]
[Powder Coating Guru]

The epoxy sealers are great.

People mess them up because they get impatient. You will need to prep the concrete, by scuffinf it up. They have special brooms for that.

You need to clean it thoroughly, and apply medium coats to the floor. You MUST wait 24 hours for it to cure. Then you can apply the 2 coat, then you have to wait again etc. You should do atleast 5 coats.

People get tired of waiting for it, so they only do 1 or 2 coats, and it doesnt last long. Just be patient while doing it and you shoud be fine.

They have an anti slip additive you can put in the sealer as well to make the floor not so slippery.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

Thanks Infantry. Also remember that I will need to drill into the garage floor for the MaxJax system. Once the multiple coats of Epoxy have cured properly, will they flake or do something more nasty if I go to town with a drill on the floor?

Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
aphex412w
Just Spooling Up

Its all about the prep work and patience.

Sent from a semi somewhere in North America.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
kindawg
Just Spooling Up

PLEASE, DO NOT

listen to these other people about using an exoxy that you have to apply 4-5 coats.
They are using inferior product. Do yourself a favor and buy the stuff I will link below.

I did my garage in it 4 years ago and I don't have a single chip. and I smash my jack and jackstands, tools and am very hard on it. I also painted over 50 year concrete. So this stuff is amazing.

Do not buy anything from lowes or a hardware store, they are CONSUMER grade.

Here is a link to the INDUSTRIAL grade Rustoleum, this is just a quick link, I think I paid $100 and was able to do 2 stalls. You clean the floor with degreaser. Then you prep it by scratching it with this solvent from rustoleum with a etching broom. You apply 1 coat of the actual epoxy (whatever color you want). Let it cure for 1 day. Go back the next day and apply the clear coat epoxy and sprinkle the flakes if you want them. In hindsight, I would no apply the flakes, they actually become sharp in some points and hurt when working on the floor, but they serve as grip.

http://www.essentialhardware.com/pro...FahlOgod8iQAUQ

pleaes feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Advertisement