Cobb AP v3 Question. - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #1
kevox805
Member
 
kevox805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 72
Question Cobb AP v3 Question.

I am planning on buying AP for my Evo X. I am somewhat curious if it is mandatory to follow the setup that each Stage Map call for. For instance, Stage 1 + SF requires all stock + COBB SF intake, I was wondering if I can use this tune if I had AEM CAI instead of COBB intake. All other MAP tunes too, like Turboback and more. I feel like these are just suggestion they put but I am curious if it really does affect knock ratio..
kevox805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-30-2016, 04:40 AM   #2
EvoJesse
Member
 
EvoJesse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 76
I did that. Those OTS maps suck. I had an AEM intake, cobb 3 port, full exhaust when I started an OTS. Trust me, you want to get it pro tuned. It will be safe if you go in accordance with the stages since they are already conservative tunes. You won't feel too big a gain until a pro tune is done. Those OTS maps will get you to a tuner safely lol
EvoJesse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
kevox805
Member
 
kevox805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoJesse View Post
I did that. Those OTS maps suck. I had an AEM intake, cobb 3 port, full exhaust when I started an OTS. Trust me, you want to get it pro tuned. It will be safe if you go in accordance with the stages since they are already conservative tunes. You won't feel too big a gain until a pro tune is done. Those OTS maps will get you to a tuner safely lol
Oh ok. This is my only option right now though, there is no dyno tuning around here at my place. Should I even risk running AEM CAI + catback exhaust without tune then? I was hoping cobb Ap would be a place holder till I get it pro tuned.
kevox805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2016, 11:36 PM   #4
TBay
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 8
I installed the Cobb V3 on my stock FE. I noticed a slight power increase with stage 1. Stage 0 (which claims to be stock-ish) gave me lots of knock but that may be due to the 91 octane fuel. I flashed it back to stock before my last Mitsu service appt. Once I get the wideband on, I plan to have it custom tuned through the AP.

I think the AP is a must-have. Yes, a tactrix cable with ECUFlash gives you a lot more capabilities. However, I like being able to watch my knock count in real time. Further, if I am on a trip and break down, I can flash it back to stock without a laptop/cable and have it towed to a dealer for repair (without having to worry about them voiding my warranty). I also like being able to start data logging at any point for intermittent problems.
TBay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #5
EvoJesse
Member
 
EvoJesse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevox805 View Post
Oh ok. This is my only option right now though, there is no dyno tuning around here at my place. Should I even risk running AEM CAI + catback exhaust without tune then? I was hoping cobb Ap would be a place holder till I get it pro tuned.
yea you can do that. it wont hurt till tune. you might get boost spike with the cai. the catback alone you don't need a tune.

oh and you can always do an e-tune with some of the specialists here on forum
EvoJesse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
Importtuner
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
iTrader: (100)
Location: southern illinoi
Posts: 70
i believe these are basic maps. i honestly wouldn't follow them too much. best to get a custom tune to what bolt on parts you have and as you add parts see if that shop can modify your tune as you go. I went with AMS and they modified my tune a few times for me. There customer service is fantastic. good luck
Importtuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
[email protected]
[Approved Merchant]
 
reco@speedcircuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
iTrader: (0)
Location: Burbs of PA
Posts: 174
I would highly recommend ditching the Cobb route and getting yourself a proper Open Source tune from a reputable tuner. We can tune either or here at Speed Circuit, but these days Cobb has fallen behind in innovation for our platform. OTS maps are fine if you're just looking for a little more go pedal, but personally I don't recommend that route unless you just HAVE to have the handheld.
reco@speedcircuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #8
STUPIDmonkey91
n00b
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I would highly recommend ditching the Cobb route and getting yourself a proper Open Source tune from a reputable tuner. We can tune either or here at Speed Circuit, but these days Cobb has fallen behind in innovation for our platform. OTS maps are fine if you're just looking for a little more go pedal, but personally I don't recommend that route unless you just HAVE to have the handheld.
Is there a difference between getting a pro/e-tune on the access port vice open source? Doesn't the AP just allow you to switch between tunes easily? As long as you're using pro tunes and not their OTS tunes there isn't any difference is there?
STUPIDmonkey91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
Chuch2405
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
iTrader: (0)
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevox805 View Post
I am planning on buying AP for my Evo X. I am somewhat curious if it is mandatory to follow the setup that each Stage Map call for. For instance, Stage 1 + SF requires all stock + COBB SF intake, I was wondering if I can use this tune if I had AEM CAI instead of COBB intake. All other MAP tunes too, like Turboback and more. I feel like these are just suggestion they put but I am curious if it really does affect knock ratio..


I mean if your just flashing to go get a real tune.... Go for it thats how I do it after a install
__________________
Turbo xs cat back
Turbo xs race pipe
MAP open dump down pipe
K&N typhone intake
K&N UICP
Cobb AP3
Chuch2405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #10
FunDeadNess
n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
iTrader: (0)
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 10
I've been tempted to buy a Cobb but have been told get a real tune over buying a cobb.
FunDeadNess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
accessport, aem, cobb, map, stage

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cobb AP question 4b11ftw Evo X General 4 01-12-2012 06:58 PM
Cobb AP question? EVO10702 Cobb AccessPort 5 09-23-2011 08:01 AM
Cobb AP question XxLaNcErGTSxX Cobb AccessPort 1 08-16-2010 12:41 AM
Cobb AP Question XxLaNcErGTSxX Evo X Tuning 10 09-02-2009 10:01 PM
Another AP Cobb question.. Inner Control Evo X Tuning 8 04-21-2009 10:17 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.