tire recommendation please - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 12:46 AM   #1
Blue_Lion

tire recommendation please

hello everyone!
TL;DR: which tire do you recommend to have fun with on a DD?

So after ~18k miles, my stock a13c's on my X are coming to an end. I've been doing a bit of reading trying to see which set of tires to grab next. A little background, I DD drive my car and occasionally go on spirited/canyon runs (who doesn't) here and there, when time and safety permit. For those wondering if I will be doing any sort of AutoX/tracking, im not quite sure yet. As much as I want to, I think I'm just a bit intimidated by it even though there can be lots of knowledge behind it.. With that being said, I don't really mind a loud or harsh ride or at least nothing extreme. and I think I can get by tread life too since I don't constantly go carving through back roads. I live in So. Cal as well so I only have to worry about rain maybe a couple days out of the year but would still like a tire that does well in the rain though. Ultimately, looking a bit more for performance than anything else. After a bit of reading I've narrowed down my list to three, possibly four. I don't see myself getting new wheels anytime soon so they will be going on the stock X enkei wheels. thank you for your guys help.

AD08R
RS4
S04
RE71R-
PSS - even though these have been praised for their versatility, I've read a bad thing about them is their soft side walls.
Blue_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 01:20 AM   #2
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

For Autocross I think just take the car out there, get an instructor to ride with you for a bit and do it. Besides the basics, the most important thing is to get seat time, whether you have good enough tires to be competitive or not. Plus, it's better to learn the car's limits on a slightly worse tire, so you can get a feel for what better tires can actually do.

Out of all the tires you listed, the best one is the RE71R, no doubt. As far as AutoX is concerned, those are king. The tradeoff? Thread life. I have a friend who corded his in less than 5000 miles and about with 100 AutoX runs in his GTR. He does run pretty hard, but yeah.

I have the MP4S which is the newer version of the MPSS - incredible tire in the wet, I actually managed to be only a second or so slower than said GTR during an event where it rained pretty heavily, and this was having maybe three events under my belt.

They have a softer sidewall than the others, but it's also a higher TW ratio so that's to be expected. Still, comparing the MP4S with the Nextens that were in the car when I bought it (both being 300 TW tires), it's a night and day difference in how much better the Michelins perform.

The AD08R must be an amazing tire but I haven't researched it enough to have an opinion. Expensive though.

I'm planning on getting a new set of wheels for event duty and I'm for now I'm set on going with either the Azenis615k+ or the RS4 - both have decent performance on track and are relatively cheap. I'm still learning, in both autocross and track, so I feel like spending 1100 on a set of RE71Rs will be a waste when I can save $500ish, use that on more track time or towards a racing school and end up being faster. Both will last longer than the Bridgestone. Also on a heavy car like ours the 'Stones will get slick in a few hard laps around a track and need to cool down before they grip again.

If you don't really care about threadwear or cost and still want to run in a "Street" class in Autocross, get the Bridgestones.

If you want to be budget conscious look into the RS4 or the 615k+. Check out the Tire Rack comparison of Extreme Performance Summer tires, it pits those against each other and it's pretty informative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
Splattj
Just Spooling Up

I am running the MPSS right now because Costco was blowing them out last year. They have more grip than the stock Advans did but the turn-in feel is a bit vague in comparison. They still make a great Daily Driver tire but I don't think I'd use them for the track. My last autocross tire was the RE01-R and I loved it.

I think, based on cost and talking to other's, I would go with AiZ's recommendation of the Azenis 615k+ if you're going to have track time and don't care about tread life.

If you want to get some more mileage out them, the MP4S is probably a great compromise for a daily driver.
Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
TSX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Lion View Post
hello everyone!
TL;DR: which tire do you recommend to have fun with on a DD?

I DD drive my car and occasionally go on spirited/canyon runs (who doesn't) here and there, when time and safety permit. For those wondering if I will be doing any sort of AutoX/tracking, im not quite sure yet. As much as I want to, I think I'm just a bit intimidated by it even though there can be lots of knowledge behind it.. With that being said, I don't really mind a loud or harsh ride or at least nothing extreme.

AD08R
RS4
S04
RE71R-
PSS - even though these have been praised for their versatility, I've read a bad thing about them is their soft side walls.
Forget about the AD08R, those are R compound tires, meaning they need a lot of heat in them before they really grip. For DD that can get downright dangerous since they will always be ''cold''. You will not get much treadlife out of them. The RE71R are more or less the same story, but to a lesser degree. If this was for a set of track only wheels, I would say do for the Advans or RE71Rs, but since that is not even part of the equation I would focus on your other suggestions.
The RS4 is a fantastic tire and a great price point, but the other two specifically the PSS will have better wet performance. If you're worried about sidewall deflection, it wont be a noticable issue if you're running factory size on a factory wheel. I wouldn't dwell on the supposedly ''soft'' sidewall of the michelin. The main factor to consider here is price in my opinion, they are all fantastic performance tires so you cant really do wrong with any of them.
TSX101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
Blue_Lion

Thank you all for the recommendations. I think after comparing on tirerack, I most likely will be going with the RS4’s. Maybe after those I’ll try the 615K+. It doesn’t really rain much in So Cal so I think I will be fine as the RS4’s get good marks on wet conditions.

as as far as sizing goes for the stock enkei wheels, would you guys suggest staying with stock tire size or should I consider a bigger one?
Blue_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Lion View Post
Thank you all for the recommendations. I think after comparing on tirerack, I most likely will be going with the RS4ís. Maybe after those Iíll try the 615K+. It doesnít really rain much in So Cal so I think I will be fine as the RS4ís get good marks on wet conditions.

as as far as sizing goes for the stock enkei wheels, would you guys suggest staying with stock tire size or should I consider a bigger one?
RS4s seem to run slightly wider than other tires, so a 245/40/18 will be a pretty good fit on the stock 8.5"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #7
Maudsquad171
n00b

If i was you I would stay with the stock tire size of 245/40/18 on the stock wheels. Much bigger and it may bulge a little and lose performance, etc.
Maudsquad171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement