Project "Whisper Quiet" Tomei Expreme Ti Exhaust - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Ttsumibishi
[Detailing Moderator]
[Local Team Mod]
[Bone Closet Mod]

Project "Whisper Quiet" Tomei Expreme Ti Exhaust

Ok, so it won't be "Whisper Quiet" but it's a shot at calming it down a little.

Backstory: I've had a Tomei Ti exhaust for a while now, with a test pipe. I love it. Got meningitis. Headaches ensued. Had to switch to a nice quiet exhaust for a little while. Kind of want to go back to Tomei just don't want the headaches or potential tickets.

So I added a resonated test pipe during my build, not too bad. Quieted down a bit. Still too much. Swapped to a Buschur Crossflow. Ahhhh, quiet bliss.

Lately I've been thinking of a new custom setup with the Tomei that will, HOPEFULLY, quiet it down even further. So I came up with the idea of just replacing the Tomei Titanium midpipe, which is a straight pipe with a 3" 2-bolt flange at one end and a slip fit on the other. Replace with what?

Resonators. I picked up two Vibrant 1142 3" Ultra Quiet resonators and a 3" vibrant flange. I've heard good things about the resonators. They're 14" long each and they don't weigh TOO much.

The idea is to replicate the mid-pipe out of steel with two resonators near the flange, bringing the total resonator count to 3. It will either quiet down a bit more (and reduce some of the highway drone) or cause some really funky waveforms and introduce MORE drone. No good way to tell and I'm certainly not an acoustics engineer, so what do we do? Weld it up and find out!

Monday November 26 I'm heading to kaizen, exhaust and parts in hand, to have them replicate the midpipe with my custom components. I plan to enlist the help of r34p3rex and his audio recording wizardry to get a before/after sample and maybe be able to record dB levels outside at idle, in car, driving, WOT (if possible), etc. and post the results.

If this succeeds, it could be a great solution to anyone who wants the great flow of the Tomei, the single exit Ti look, but a slightly quieter system. I don't expect it to sound like stock, but I do expect it to look amazing, still be fairly on the lighter side of exhaust options, and have a one-of-a-kind sound. Maybe not for much longer

Stay tuned for details!

Ttsumibishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Ttsumibishi
[Detailing Moderator]
[Local Team Mod]
[Bone Closet Mod]

Parts!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121116_190121.jpg
Views:	5699
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	35464   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121116_190136.jpg
Views:	6071
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	35465   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121116_190234.jpg
Views:	5541
Size:	700.1 KB
ID:	35466  

Last edited by Ttsumibishi; 11-16-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Ttsumibishi
[Detailing Moderator]
[Local Team Mod]
[Bone Closet Mod]

Wonder twin powers activate! Form of...A WELDER!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG952755.jpg
Views:	5666
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	35717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG958239.jpg
Views:	5286
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	35718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG958527.jpg
Views:	5870
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	35719  

Last edited by Ttsumibishi; 11-26-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Ttsumibishi
[Detailing Moderator]
[Local Team Mod]
[Bone Closet Mod]

My review!!

I picked up my car just before noon. How nice it was to see a single exit coming out the back once more. After hearing Graffix @ Kaizen go on and on about how much he misses the Rotas on my car and how it just completes the theme of badasseryishness (he has a serious fetish for Rotas) I grabbed the keys. I had to head straight back to work but let me tell you this, it was a fun ride. I had a grin plastered onto my face like a schoolboy might on Christmas morning when he wakes up and realizes Charlize Theron is dry humping him in his bed and shouting "YO JOE!" and stuffing a stuffed Tigger head into his mouth. But I digress. (ahh, youth)

So I start the car up and let it idle. At first there's a tiny bit of vibration from underneath. Most likely just have to check/adjust clearances and make sure there's no metal on metal contact. (mmm charlize) It goes away after a few seconds, so no big deal. The idle is a little quieter with a deeper tone and as it settles on my chosen 1200 RPM idle, the lope from the GSC S2 cams is definitely more noticeable than with the Buschur crossflow, and a little more noticeable than before when I had the stock Tomei exhaust on the car.

Once the idle settles I get in and close the door. Immediately I realize that it's much quieter than before, much like a bowl of oatmeal just sitting and being stared at with quiet disregard by a toy robot that has no batteries. Yeah, almost that quiet.

I start to pull away from Kaizen. Immediately I notice a huge difference at low speeds. The tone is deeper but not louder, not bassier. Richer, with a hint of a nice gurgle somewhere in there. Some tonal quality you couldn't hear with the stock Tomei because it was just too damned loud. Now it's not super quiet but it definitely is different. Already I'm cackling like an otaku schoolgirl in a Sanrio megastore for the first time.

Now here's where the real magic begins. I start driving through Boxborough, MA to Acton, MA, back to the highway. Most of this road is straight but 20-40mph until we hit highway, and it's a good 15-20 minutes of this through residential sections before we do hit said highway. Most of the time I was in 3rd or 4th. From 2750-3200rpm the exhaust is so quiet, I can hear the tire/road noise AND my motor over the Tomei. This has never happened before. At certain RPMs it was almost silent, you could hear it but it wasn't intrusive at all. I had conversations with myself at normal volume. I couldn't believe my ears. It was probably quieter than the Buschur Crossflow.

As you approach 3700-3900 rpm you hear the exhaust some more, it's a little louder and if you hold it around 4000 rpm there's a tiny bit of cabin drone but nothing horrible like before. It's actually livable. On the highway at 75mph it'll probably get on my nerves but nothing like before, and lower RPM around town cruising (and even highway speeds if I stay around 60-65 in 5th gear) are downright pleasant.

Bitsumishi was following me in his Ralliart with Magnaflow exhaust (which is insanely quiet, double-resonated I believe) and he said he couldn't even hear me until I went WOT or at least aggressively accelerated. Another score.

During this whole trip, not once did I drive by a cop and feel the need to cut the throttle. Oh, also, for you Tomei owners, you know when you get off the throttle and start to engine brake, that deep bass sound you get? Practically gone (or at least it seems so).

Now, WOT. Hahahaha. WOT is where the fun begins. You get that nice Tomei sound, but it's not insane loud (just kinda loud). The tone, however, has changed considerably. It's...RICH. I liken it to that nice rich deep tone you might get on a B5 S4 (except without the twin turbo v6 sound), but it does remind me of the same kind of awesome WOT tone you might find on one of those (in-cabin) but with 2 fewer cylinders and 1 turbo - lol. Now I'm not saying it's that sexy gorgeous, but, it is sexy gorgeous, just for a 4 banger. That's the only way I can describe it.

This mod has refined the exhaust. It's transformed it from a rough-edged bread knife into a finely honed katana. Or some other analogy.....you get the idea.

My verdict: I love it. I absolutely couldn't stop loving it on the way back to work. It is literally the perfect exhaust for me now. I am once again in mad love with the new Tomei Whisper Expreme Ti edition. It is my exhaust, the first of its kind, and it is everything I want in an exhaust.

Huge thanks to Kaizen Tuning for the excellent job making it work, and for some truly incredible welds. It's a work of art!!

Last edited by Ttsumibishi; 11-28-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
mac11wildcat
[Local Team Member]

NEEVO is making Matt a household...face

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
Ttsumibishi
[Detailing Moderator]
[Local Team Mod]
[Bone Closet Mod]

His face just...resonates..with me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
khaydin
[Local Team Member]

What about one of these?

http://www.maperformance.com/varex-r...vmk2g-300.html
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Ttsumibishi
[Detailing Moderator]
[Local Team Mod]
[Bone Closet Mod]

Thought about it, but more hassle than just introducing 2 more resonators. Also over twice the price I just paid for resonators alone, and I want to run quiet most of the time, without impacting flow.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
r34p3rex
[Local Team Member]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
r34p3rex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
EvoXNate
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttsumibishi View Post
His face just...resonates..with me
Is it bad i found this pun hilarious?
AMS FMIC, DP, Intake Deatschwerks Dw65 Fuel Pump DBA Slotted Rotors GSC S2 Cams w/ beehive valve springs and retainers Hawk DCT-30/HP+ Brake Pads Kaizen Tuning Sakura Turbo Manifold Perrin 3Port, Rear Sway Bar, Shorty Ant. Rally Armor Mudflaps SSP Stainless Steel Filter, Gold SST Fluid Synapse DV Technifit Stainless Steel Brake Lines Tomei Expreme Ti Catback Exhaust, UICP Turbo XS High Flow Cat Zeitronix ZT2 Multigauge
EvoXNate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement