New to me Evo, disabling Aquamist injectors. - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 03-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
Akula0
n00b

New to me Evo, disabling Aquamist injectors.

Hi everyone. Yesterday I bought my first Evo, a 2013 from a dealership. It had an Aquamist kit already built in. The dealer and I were under the impression its just a sprayer to cool down the intercooler. Upon further research, it sounds like these kits are actually injecting into the intake. It's supposed to be at a stock tune. So I was worried about how safe this was and wanted to see if theres a way to disable the Aquamist kit so I can stay a little more reliable and safe. Any input or help would be much appreciated. Couldn't find much info on whether I was safe to continue running this or if theres an easy to turn off. Thanks for any input!
Akula0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
Splattj
Just Spooling Up

It's quite possible that it was rolled back to a stock tune and the injection kit really won't have any effect.

If the car is tuned for the Aquamist setup, you're going to need to get another tune if you delete it or you may blow it up if the tune was on the ragged edge.

Are there other obvious mods on the car? Intake, cat-back, etc?

How much boost is the car running now? Any idea if the previous owner was running water or a methanol mix? Really, the safe bet is a re-tune / current tune check by someone reputable in your area or even a remote tune if you can get a full mod list together.....
Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 02:15 AM   #3
FurtadoZ9
Just Spooling Up

Lol, you bought a used evo that was running meth my dude.

Take it to a local shop that works on evos. If you are willing to learn a bit (which I think you should if you own this car) then pickup a tactrix port and purchase evoscan. At the bare minimum, have a tuner look at it remotely with this equipment.
FurtadoZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
MR. EVO MR
Just Spooling Up

Driving on meth sucks because it’s always either off or floored
Always flooring it gets boring, probably why he sold the EVO.
Who much did you pay?
Old 03-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
hotdog
Dr. Evo?

The dealer either knows nothing (most likely) or is just hiding details from you.

Take it to a shop who knows something and have them re-tune it and remove the Aquamist. Welcome to owning an Evo; spend money. All the money. That money? Spend it.

You should have had it checked out prior, but this is a life lesson you can take away from it all.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
Akula0
n00b

After looking further into it, I found a "parts list" from the previous owner. Looks like it has an MHI 18k turbo, ETS intercooler, 1100cc injectors and a few other supporting mods. The paperwork says the water/meth injection was added after the tune, as "extra safety margin". Verified with a Cobb AP that its tuned for this setup. The paperwork says it's been tuned by English Racing on the Cobb AP for their "stage 1" setup.
Been trying to get a chance to remove some of the intake so I can see and properly ID the turbo. But I've definitely got eyes and ID'd about half these mods on the list so far.
Any next steps you guys would recommend from here? I've been trying to get ahold of English Racing to see if they saved any information on the car and confirm they did indeed do the tuning or confirm any of this.
Appreciate the help!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

Sounds like you may have lucked out.

Can you post some photos of the car?
Kooldino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #8
FurtadoZ9
Just Spooling Up

English racing is reputable.

Mhi 18k is a great turbo.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #9
Akula0
n00b

Sorry the reply took a little bit. Heres a couple shots under the hood. Seems like the turbos on these are tucked in the back pretty well. Any tips on being able to easily get to it so I can positively ID if that's a stock turbo or the MHI 18k that I suspect it is? Got a few pics, not sure if any help, that third one might not be any use, but still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190307_161353_1552004147625.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	279558   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190307_161400_1552004206520.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	279560   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190307_161413_1552004215481.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	279562  
Old 03-11-2019, 01:00 AM   #10
FurtadoZ9
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula0 View Post
Sorry the reply took a little bit. Heres a couple shots under the hood. Seems like the turbos on these are tucked in the back pretty well. Any tips on being able to easily get to it so I can positively ID if that's a stock turbo or the MHI 18k that I suspect it is? Got a few pics, not sure if any help, that third one might not be any use, but still.
Does the turbo make any kind of whistle while climbing in RPM's? If it does, it is not stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement