New #50-1220 E85 AEM Fuel Pump Installed¯Perfect Fit!! - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Old 12-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
Mariel
Just Spooling Up

New #50-1220 E85 AEM Fuel Pump Installed—Perfect Fit!!

Hello everyone,

I wanted to take the time to share my review and install with AEM Performance Electronics new updated 320 LPH E85 Direct-Fit Fuel Pump. Part # 50-1220.

If you have seen/read my other review on this forum, I did a review on AEM’s 320 LPH E85 Fuel Pump Part # 50-1200.

https://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205730

You are probably wondering, what is the difference? The difference is that the #50-1220 (new version) fits our OEM fuel pump housing 100% PERFECT. This is important because our fuel pump housing acts as a filter to help prevent your injectors from getting dirty/clogged. This fuel pump is the most fuel flowing pump on the market that can support over 1,000hp and does not sacrifice you getting rid of your OEM fuel pump housing, which also means it does not need an install kit like most do. That is the beauty of AEM’s updated 320 LPH Fuel Pump. It’s also compatible with E85.

Unfortunately my phone decided to delete a few photos, but I will be as detailed and specific as possible about the install with what photos I have.

Here is what the new fuel pump looks like

This is what the fuel pump kit comes with

The #50-1220 comes with a filter, the harness, and two o-rings. You will need to cut and solder your current fuel pump connector to the one provided by AEM. I did not use the green filter provided, I attached the OEM Filter that is a part of the plastic piece that connects to the OEM fuel pump housing, onto the AEM Fuel Pump. (This picture I wanted to provide to make more sense but unfortunately this was one that I lost) You can see in the picture that there is a red cap on the top of the AEM fuel pump. It has some length to it, you put both o-rings on there for it to sit in place inside the fuel pump housing.

You can see in these photos, the fuel pump fits in the OEM fuel pump housing perfectly.

Now the fun part, getting your fuel hanger out of the car. I highly recommend that you DO NOT attempt this install with a full tank of gas. I’d suggest you wait until you are about at least half way full, or else you will not have a good time. You can see in this photo, what needs to be un plugged. 2 power plug lines, 2 fuel lines (which gas will spew out of), and 6 nuts that are size 8mm. Another photo that got deleted that I was going to show is once you get the fuel hanger out. When you remove all previously said items, and CAREFULLY pull out the hanger, there is another fuel line at the very bottom of the hanger that needs to be removed.

This is what the fuel pump hanger looks like out of the car. Again, if you have seen/read my previous post about the AEM Fuel Pump #50-1200, this is what I did to customize mine to work since I did not have an install kit.

Although not for my current situation with how my fuel pump was set up, but for yours that are doing this install and have never done it before, another picture that my phone decided to lose showed how to get the fuel pump out of the OEM fuel pump housing… there is a small silver c-clip that holds the hanger assembly together, remove this c-clip then just push the OEM fuel pump out.

Here is a side by side picture of the fuel pump size comparison. #50-1220 on the left, and #50-1200 on the right.

Cut the current power connects off and solder them on to the connector that AEM provided for the fuel pump, and shrink wrap the solder lines.

Once you are done soldering/shrink wrapping the power and ground together, take the fuel pump and put it into the fuel pump housing and connect it. Perfect fitment!

Put everything back together and you are done. You now have a high flowing fuel pump for more power, and does not sacrifice you getting rid of the OEM fuel pump housing for filtration. Full of win.

You can contact AEM Performance Electronics if you have any questions. I’ve talked to them and emailed them in the past and their customer service is beyond exceptional. If you are considering this upgrade you can buy the fuel pump from them, but you’ll get a better deal through one of their dealers. The specs for the pump are on the specs tab on their website if you want more info on it: http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=pro...m-offset-inlet

I hope this review helps!
Mariel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
Pracata
Just Spooling Up

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate that
Pracata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 03:12 AM   #3
Delite
Just Spooling Up

Yeah thanks, and subb'ed for later. I plan on buying this next month, and everything looks straight forward but two things:

1.) Is the green filter different than the OEM filter? Pretty much curious why people use the OEM one as opposed to the one included? Or is it the same and might as well save if for if the OEM one goes bad?

2.) I'm assuming that I won't need a tune after adding this to my existing bolt-ons? Like it'll just flow the same as the stocker for now until I get it tuned in a couple of months right? (Planning on getting the tune done the same time as I get my injectors/turbo/cam installed), but don't want to pay for an install on something that remedial.
APR GTC300
EFR 7163
GiroDisc Front/Rear Rotors
GSC S2 Cams/Springs & Retainers
Kozmic K27 Catch Can
Mishimoto Radiator/Hoses
Tial QRJ
Whiteline RCA Kit | Whiteline Front/Rear Sway Bars
Delite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 03:19 AM   #4
Mariel
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pracata View Post
Thanks for sharing! I appreciate that
No problem. Hope you found this information helpful.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:25 AM   #5
Mariel
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delite View Post
Yeah thanks, and subb'ed for later. I plan on buying this next month, and everything looks straight forward but two things:

1.) Is the green filter different than the OEM filter? Pretty much curious why people use the OEM one as opposed to the one included? Or is it the same and might as well save if for if the OEM one goes bad?

2.) I'm assuming that I won't need a tune after adding this to my existing bolt-ons? Like it'll just flow the same as the stocker for now until I get it tuned in a couple of months right? (Planning on getting the tune done the same time as I get my injectors/turbo/cam installed), but don't want to pay for an install on something that remedial.
For question 1. If I recalled correctly, the green filter won't really fit into our hanger when the fuel pump is in the housing. The green filter is more of a universal filter that AEM supplies with the fuel pump. There could be a way to get it to fit, but I think when my friend and I were installing the fuel pump, that was why we stuck with the oem filter.

For question 2. When I installed the first version AEM fuel pump, I was already tuned with bolt ons and the car was driving completely fine. Although, I did not get on it. I installed the fuel pump during the day and then drove to a friends to install bigger injectors that night. I think you should be fine but I would research and ask around just to be on the safe side.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Delite
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
For question 1. If I recalled correctly, the green filter won't really fit into our hanger when the fuel pump is in the housing. The green filter is more of a universal filter that AEM supplies with the fuel pump. There could be a way to get it to fit, but I think when my friend and I were installing the fuel pump, that was why we stuck with the oem filter.

For question 2. When I installed the first version AEM fuel pump, I was already tuned with bolt ons and the car was driving completely fine. Although, I did not get on it. I installed the fuel pump during the day and then drove to a friends to install bigger injectors that night. I think you should be fine but I would research and ask around just to be on the safe side.
Thanks again, sounds good.
APR GTC300
EFR 7163
GiroDisc Front/Rear Rotors
GSC S2 Cams/Springs & Retainers
Kozmic K27 Catch Can
Mishimoto Radiator/Hoses
Tial QRJ
Whiteline RCA Kit | Whiteline Front/Rear Sway Bars
Delite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
dkorr

Where do you put the two O-rings they supply?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:27 AM   #8
Cyp
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorr View Post
Where do you put the two O-rings they supply?
Both go on the output of the pump
Old 01-03-2018, 04:04 AM   #9
cming21

GREAT REVIEW! This is very good information and look forward to seeing more reviews from you. Thank you!
cming21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #10
Cyp
Forum Lackey

You don’t have to splice any wires. OEM plug fits directly onto the pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement