Shops & Vendors; Choosing one, working with one, and dealing with issues. - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
VegetaX
[Drag Racing Mod]
[Sales Mod]
[Local Team Member]
aka evox10

Dont go by the big shop names, always search. Big shop doesnt mean they are the best.

Last edited by VegetaX; 03-21-2012 at 05:19 PM.
VegetaX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
Ttsumibishi
[Detailing Moderator]
[Local Team Mod]
[Bone Closet Mod]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_X View Post
Now I'm not saying you shouldn't ever post a bad review of a company but lets exhaust all other resources before strolling down that road. Too many times have I seen threads posted and after two pages of bashing we come to find out the only communication was a phone call on a Saturday and a PM on a Sunday yet the shop was at fault for not communicating. Drop and email, leave a message, don't use the forum as your outlet. A bad review on a forum should be a last resort.
I'd like to re-emphasize this point, as a mod on EvoX and other boards in the past, when a vendor wants to sign up a lot of time the mods do a very, VERY exhaustive search of the web for other similar forums where they've been reviewed. It's a fairly common practice.

By posting a negative review, especially that later gets cleared up, you are putting that business's future business in jeopardy. Think long and hard before you do so, and please work with the forum mods and vendor as much as possible before doing so.

At one point or another we all have a sour experience (regardless of it being car-related or not) and at the very least in the EvoX world remember that you have a whole community to talk to, and Mods to consult, who will walk you through best practices and the proper course of action, before you post a negative review. This should only be a last resort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ttsumibishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
VegetaX
[Drag Racing Mod]
[Sales Mod]
[Local Team Member]
aka evox10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttsumibishi View Post
I'd like to re-emphasize this point, as a mod on EvoX and other boards in the past, when a vendor wants to sign up a lot of time the mods do a very, VERY exhaustive search of the web for other similar forums where they've been reviewed. It's a fairly common practice.

By posting a negative review, especially that later gets cleared up, you are putting that business's future business in jeopardy. Think long and hard before you do so, and please work with the forum mods and vendor as much as possible before doing so.

At one point or another we all have a sour experience (regardless of it being car-related or not) and at the very least in the EvoX world remember that you have a whole community to talk to, and Mods to consult, who will walk you through best practices and the proper course of action, before you post a negative review. This should only be a last resort.
Thanks for the work you guys do, but in the end if a member have a complain about a vendor theres nothing we can do. However if a vendor complain about a member, then member is fucked.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
loosenuts
Just Spooling Up

As a rule I will offten talk to customers first before I read a shops review. Face to face contact is a great way to get a feel for a shop. If I have a question part of my homework faze is to toss up a post on a forum if there is no topic available for the part or services I am looking for. Sure your gonna get people who will praise the shop or part but you will also find that one person who wants to talk "about" the part or service they recieved. This is were you can get a feel for the shop/part you are looking to use. HOMEWORK will save you thousands of dollars and frustration in the long run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by loosenuts; 03-21-2012 at 05:35 PM.
loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
ZeroCooll21
[NEEvo President]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
When doing research contact local people. I lol when I see people from across the country recommending shops that they haven't even been to.
I've never been to AMS yet I would vouch for them (see what I did there ).

In all seriousness that is a good point, just couldn't help my self.

RIP Lomker
ZeroCooll21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
CrazyIvan
aka ityn

Fantastic thread! I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone going to a shop just because they "heard" they were great. Take the time to know a shop, it's not something you should just jump into. Visit the shops you are interested in, if local, and ALWAYS ask for a tour of the back of the shop.

This "tour" will tell you alot, especially if they are hesitant to show you around their work areas. With this said, don't pick a shop just b/c they have fancy new tools and equipment that you saw on the tour.
CrazyIvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
fishstix
Forum Addict

You don't really have to visit a shop before going there. What's key is getting experiences from existing and former customers. Get the bad and the good. Listen to the details. Some people are fanbois and you should be able to filter those people out.

Some people are extremely jaded, and while their negative experience should weigh in a little more, you have to also consider that people generally don't tell you both sides of the argument.

Also a lot of customers just get really simple shit done and go all bonkers.
"OMG this shop installed my exhaust and they're awesome!" LOL.
fishstix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsonPicasso View Post
i like your thoughts on this. i recently had a relationship fail with a very reputable shop. im in the move on phase...looking for a new shop that can suit my needs. problem is i live in a weird spot so im not so close to any good shops at all. closest is hours away.

next time my mom asks me why i travel so far to get my car worked on im going to say "beacause race car"
I hate it when that happens. No option but the shitty option next door.

Quote:
HA!! Yeah Orthojoe, quit being a vag in your safe, relatively practical cars...come back to us, come dance with the devil again....
KickAss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

A few points for shops:

1) If you think you cannot do a job, be honest with the customer and direct them to a shop that knows their shit for that particular job. Don't try to do things you don't know how to and screw up what could have been a great relationship with your customer.

2) If you are going to give time-lines to customers, stick to them. If you cannot meet it, reschedule only once. Don't make it a daily/weekly thing to postpone because you decided to accept business you could not fulfill on time. If you don't know how much work is involved, see point (1) above.

3) Do your research before you give sub-optimal options to your customer. You are running a business and your biggest advertisement is word-of-mouth and forums. If you are unsure of options to present, see point (1).

4) When a customer accepts all your quotes without question, it means the customer is placing a lot of trust in your experience and work quality/ethic. Do not betray this trust. These are also the customers that will help you succeed as a business. Remember, you need them just as much as they need you.

5) Provide discounted rates to customers who are willing to pay by cash. a personal wishlist item, ha ha. Also treat repeat customers with utmost respect and stick by your promises/estimates. If a customer is coming back, its not time to rest back on your laurels, its time to do even more than the last time to make them happy.

I'm sure I can think of some more, but most if not all of these suggestions stem from my personal experience with the thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent.

Quote:
HA!! Yeah Orthojoe, quit being a vag in your safe, relatively practical cars...come back to us, come dance with the devil again....
KickAss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
WWEvo
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsonPicasso View Post
i like your thoughts on this. i recently had a relationship fail with a very reputable shop. im in the move on phase...looking for a new shop that can suit my needs. problem is i live in a weird spot so im not so close to any good shops at all. closest is hours away.

next time my mom asks me why i travel so far to get my car worked on im going to say "beacause race car"
Try living in bum fuck Omaha where we don't even have one awd dynos and as for shops, theres only one I trust and its about 40 minutes from me.

3D Motorsports FTW
God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance
WWEvo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement