BOV question - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
yayEvo
Just Spooling Up

BOV question

I know most people say to stick with the stock BOV. That's why I sticked to mine. However, I'm getting some injectors and hopefully get the car tuned to 91/e85 and heard that the stock BOV leaks pass 23-25psi. I'm running the stock turbo. Got almost all the bolt ons. So just the injectors and a fuel pump and a tune are pretty much my new mods. I'm confused if do I really need to switch to an aftermarket bov? If so, any recommended brands? Thanks in advance for your inputs
yayEvo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Hiboost
Forum Lackey

Some leak earlier than others, but 24-25 psi is normally where it holds up just fine. If you carefully crush it in a vice by reducing the gap between the nipple and the BOV body by about 50%, you can usually get it to hold until 27-28 psi from my testing. I easily ran 11.9x @ 114 with the BOV with 28 psi spike and 26 psi holding to 5500 and then tapering to 20 psi at 7000. There is no real reason to run higher boost on the stock turbo unless you are trying to get a little more torque in the 4000-5000 range. Usually you just end up increasing your risk of a driveline or engine problems pushing the boost & torque really high and since you are in the 5000-7000 range while racing it's not really going to be effective.

2011 Octane Blue Evo X MR
Best 1/4 Mile ET & Speed: 11.677 @ 119.06
STM Mustang Dyno: 390 whp / 360 wtq

2017 Global Time Attack - Limited AWD Class
2nd - Road Atlanta

2017 CSCS Time Attack - Street AWD Class
1st - Mosport DDT 1:38.391 (Record)
1st - TMP 1:17.644 (Record)
1st - TMP Reverse 1:23.944 (Record)
1st - Shannonville 1:59.748 (Record)
Hiboost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
yayEvo
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiboost View Post
Some leak earlier than others, but 24-25 psi is normally where it holds up just fine. If you carefully crush it in a vice by reducing the gap between the nipple and the BOV body by about 50%, you can usually get it to hold until 27-28 psi from my testing. I easily ran 11.9x @ 114 with the BOV with 28 psi spike and 26 psi holding to 5500 and then tapering to 20 psi at 7000. There is no real reason to run higher boost on the stock turbo unless you are trying to get a little more torque in the 4000-5000 range. Usually you just end up increasing your risk of a driveline or engine problems pushing the boost & torque really high and since you are in the 5000-7000 range while racing it's not really going to be effective.
I wanna keep it below 335tq. So I really don't have any idea yet up to what numbers I would reach with all that I have on the car right now. Just confused at the moment whether to stick with the stock BOV or get an aftermarket since I want to get all the stuffs before going for a tune so I can have everything by then. Thanks for your input
yayEvo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement