Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

pressure plate?

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  lallen3 
#1 ·
i have had xtd stage 3 clutch kit for about 42k miles ever since i replaced mine oem clutch. now i could feel it slipping and going to replace it soon, my question is do i have to replace the pressure plate too or can i just buy the clutch disc? thanks in advance :rock:

#3 ·
normally you replace them together, but I suppose you might get away with only replacing the disc if the pressure plate is in good condition. Only thing is, if you only order the disc, what will you do if you pull apart the car and find that the pressure plate needs to be replaced also? You'll be in for some downtime.
Aside from all this, I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer of your clutch to see what they say

#8 ·
If you have 42K miles on the FW, it's probably time to replace it (assuming you reused/resurfaced the original when you did your last clutch). If it's never been resurfaced, this would be the time- if it's got enough metal left on it. Otherwise grab a MAP aluminum FW.

#9 ·
What are some of you guys talking ?!?

OP if you have an exedy triple disc (assuming xtd = exedy), just buy they're build kits and rebuild the current clutch. I believe it involves new clutch pads and inteediate plates.

Maybe I'm just an ******* but I've never heard of or found a reason to "resurface a pressure plate"!!!!

#15 ·
Yeah. My fault. I wish I could keep a database in my sig of all the butchering of spelling errors. I remember reading a few years ago about an xtd clutch scam on eBay for supra owners. I just haven't seen it mentioned so I presumed you meant exedy.

#17 ·
Just throwin' it out there:

general rule of transverse (awd) transmission removal: If you're going to have to go to the trouble of removing that beast ANYWAYS, why not just buy all new parts to throw in there? What's an extra couple of hundred $ compared to taking all that stuff apart again and again. Anytime I have to drop the tranny on transverse mounted cars I buy as many new parts as possible. I value time more than money I guess :D Either way, good luck on whatever choice you make!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.