New Used Turbo :godance: - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Turbo
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Turbo Discussion for turbo systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
POS3IDON
n00b

New Used Turbo :godance:

I should be receiving my new used turbo to replace the one on my evo. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
such as, should i use the same gaskets from my old turbo seeing that they are
metal?
or order some new ones? was thinking it would be safe to but not sure if its a must. if so whats some good sites to buy from.
Etc
Thank you
POS3IDON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
Splattj
Just Spooling Up

Be prepared for the b*tch bolt! It's on the underside of the turbo and secures it to a brace. You need a 3' extension and a 14mm swivel socket to get it out.
Don't reuse the metal gaskets or the copper O-Rings on the feed/return lines.
Make sure you keep track of, and use all of the factory washers if you want to keep the turbo bolts from getting lose.
Park the car for a couple days before you go to change it and liberally soak every bolt you'll be working on with penetrating oil so it has time to work.
Be prepared to break a bolt or stud anyway (A pain, but mostly a downtime issue if you have to take it to be machined out).
MAPerformance has a good selection of OE gaskets, bolts, studs otherwise OEM at the dealer is always a safe bet.
Good luck!
Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
Airma
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattj View Post
Be prepared for the b*tch bolt! It's on the underside of the turbo and secures it to a brace. You need a 3' extension and a 14mm swivel socket to get it out.
Make sure you keep track of, and use all of the factory washers if you want to keep the turbo bolts from getting lose.
Park the car for a couple days before you go to change it and liberally soak every bolt you'll be working on with penetrating oil so it has time to work.
Be prepared to break a bolt or stud anyway (A pain, but mostly a downtime issue if you have to take it to be machined out).
MAPerformance has a good selection of OE gaskets, bolts, studs otherwise OEM at the dealer is always a safe bet.
Good luck!
+1
Airma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #4
POS3IDON
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Good luck!
Totally appreciated man, i was wondering how much of a pain i was about to get into. ill definitely do that. i kinda figured about the gaskets but cant always be too sure hence i asked . thanks alot man as for the copper o-rings
did not know i had to replace those. youre a life saver, ill order those now
Old 10-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
LaughingCow
n00b

I had the coolant feed and oil feed crack when I did mine too. So be be careful when removing the turbo.
LaughingCow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
POS3IDON
n00b

jesus ill keep an eye on that, thank you
Old 10-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
POS3IDON
n00b

Quote:
Good luck!
hey boss another question, how would you go by priming the turbo. should i use like a syringe with motor oil going through it to lubricate or just install and turn over a couple times before actually turning the car on
Old 10-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
ugakirk

Quote:
and use all of the factory washers if you want to keep the turbo bolts from getting lose.
A guy on EvoM just had his turbo basically come un-bolted from the car because he didn't use those factory spring washers. Make sure and hold on to those.
ugakirk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
Splattj
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS3IDON View Post
hey boss another question, how would you go by priming the turbo. should i use like a syringe with motor oil going through it to lubricate or just install and turn over a couple times before actually turning the car on
It'll get oil really quickly. Nearly as quickly as if you had just done an oil change. If it makes you feel better, turning it over for 10 seconds with the injectors unplugged would get everything fully lubricated without any spooling up of the turbo.
Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #10
POS3IDON
n00b

Koo beans, thanx man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement