RPM bounce When going Into N - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 10-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
Quadrider10

RPM bounce When going Into N

I'm getting hella weird idle issues where after driving, if I push the clutch and go to N, the RPMs drop to 900, bounce up to 2k-1.5k then settle at 1500 until I stop physically moving. Also when I kick the AC on, RPMs go crazy for a few seconds then settle at 900.

This has been a constant issue where it does this same thing every time. Sometimes bouncing 2-3 times before settling at 1500 until stopped.

So far I've checked for vacuum leaks. Sprayed the whole engine down and found nothing. My AP is reading -9.7PSI along with my vacuum guage reading 20.5InMg. So that's perfect. I ran a compression test and all cylinders were at 180PSI give or take 5 from each other.

The car is bone stock except K&N drop in filter and an AP. The issue started when I installed the AP and the ECU got reset. I have tried all the Cobb OTS tunes, my speed circuit OTS tune, and factory tune with the AP uninstalled. All do the same exact thing. I've seen post and videos online of this exact issue, but no solutions.

What I'm going to try next is:
Swap fuel relay
Clean MAF
Clean TB
Change spark plugs

Though I have some serious doubts this will actually fix anything. So does anyone know what's up with this car? It's running perfect otherwise. No loss of power and I'm hitting target boost.
Quadrider10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Quadrider10

Here's a vid of the exact issue except not my car:

https://youtu.be/gKhi_RTCnq8
Old 10-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
ugakirk

How long has it been since you did the AP?

I remember back on my 08 X that the car would have to "re-learn" things after the AP was installed or flashed something. It wiped out certain parameters and would run kind of funny for a little while before it got everything straightened back out.
ugakirk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
Quadrider10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugakirk View Post
How long has it been since you did the AP?

I remember back on my 08 X that the car would have to "re-learn" things after the AP was installed or flashed something. It wiped out certain parameters and would run kind of funny for a little while before it got everything straightened back out.
It hasn't been more than a week with 1 map on it before I've flashed a new one or different one. I know there's a learning time, but it shouldn't be doing this idle bounce for 3 days.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
Estever701
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
It hasn't been more than a week with 1 map on it before I've flashed a new one or different one. I know there's a learning time, but it shouldn't be doing this idle bounce for 3 days.
+1
Estever701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #6
Quadrider10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estever701 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
+1
Thanks for +1and adding to the convo to get your post number up.

Anyway, I swapped the fuel pump relay, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the TB, and disconnected the batter for am hour. Issue got worse.

However, yesterday when I was driving around hard, I noticed that at about 6-7k RPMs, I heard a rattling sound. Sounded like a heat shield vibration. I took the intake off and looked at the compressor wheel and saw scoring around the body. I moved the shaft and it has some up and down play, maybe 2-3mm of movement. From the looks of it, it's touching the housing and causing the scoring and noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191009_143509_1570662415845.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	280388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191009_143326_1570662431190.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	280390   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191009_143307_1570662453459.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	280392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191009_142129_1570662485656.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	502.2 KB
ID:	280394  
Old 10-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #7
lolague
n00b

This happened to me two weeks ago but it happened when I swapped out my HIDs for LEDs. Disconnected the battery and did the swap.
Later that day I was driving on the highway and traffic was coming to a stop. Was in 5th and then depressed the clutch and went in to neutral. RPMs started bouncing between 800-1500k.
Didn't stop until I went to a complete full stop. Issue did not happen when idle but was able to reproduce when i started driving again and went to neutral.
Happened for two days then hasn't happened since. 2015 X GSR. FBO, Tuned.
lolague is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2019, 12:36 AM   #8
Quadrider10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolague View Post
This happened to me two weeks ago but it happened when I swapped out my HIDs for LEDs. Disconnected the battery and did the swap.
Later that day I was driving on the highway and traffic was coming to a stop. Was in 5th and then depressed the clutch and went in to neutral. RPMs started bouncing between 800-1500k.
Didn't stop until I went to a complete full stop. Issue did not happen when idle but was able to reproduce when i started driving again and went to neutral.
Happened for two days then hasn't happened since. 2015 X GSR. FBO, Tuned.
Yea this is exactly what it's doing. I disconnected my battery yesterday and it seems like it's sorting its self out, but I still think there is something wrong and the ECU is just correcting itself.

I still gotta do a boost leak test and change spark plugs.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:25 AM   #9
Bigred89

have you tried swapping back to the stock filter?
Bigred89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
Quadrider10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred89 View Post
have you tried swapping back to the stock filter?
No I don't have it. Also, it wasn't doing it when I first installed it. It was about a months times between installing the filter and then the AP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement