Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Weighted Shift Knobs

24K views 94 replies 36 participants last post by  sclinton 
#1 · (Edited)
I am thinking about buying a Blox Weighted Shift Knob (weights about 1 pound).

Anyone know if a heavier shift knob will hurt something in the transmission/shifting over time? Any reason not to use one? I am about to order one soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
someone told me that heavier knobs, or even leaning on the on the shifter can hurt the transmission over time...idk if thats true or not, kinda think it BS tho, i would imagine the engineers would account for lean on the shifter over the life cycle of the car.

that being said i have greddy weighted knob :) lol love it cuz it gets rid of the notchiness

#73 ·
more info on leaning on shifter.

taken from 2008 lancer evolution manual pg 3-87
  • Do not use the gearshift lever as a handrest, because this can result in premature wear of the transaxle shift forks.
I remember reading this as well. This stuff just really freaks me out so I'm just going to stick with light knobs. However does anybody know what might cause the premature wear? If you replace something in the transmission like some kind of bushing or something would that make it fine to lean on the shifter or put really heavy knobs on?

#6 ·
I love my Greddy weighted shift knob. Its much better quality than the crap sport aluminum OEM one I got with the car, mine broke before it went into storage last year there is a thread about "exploding" shift knobs. The Greddy is solid stainless, I dont notice the knob being heavy over stock, and shifts are very smooth.

#7 ·
the shift knob i had in my sti was 1.33 lbs and also i added an extender from garagespec. it felt so great, the shifter was from TWM

#8 ·
Weighted knobs are +1 because like others have said it makes the notches less noticeable.

\/ The science behind weighted knobs for anyone that cares.

By taking more mass and putting at the furtherst point possible from the fulcrum each shift carries more momentum. So instead of you having to push the shifter through the notchiness the shifter is doing that itself. Which is why you dont feel it as much and shifts "feel" smoother.

#9 ·
take a look at the shifters in big diesels and also the ones on ferraris. kinda answers concerns if the extra weight is bad or not.....

#11 ·
TWM all the way...

1.07 lbs

#15 ·
Razo RA96 340G, the leather wore out so now I'm using the
Razo RA95 170G non leather one.

340G = 0.749lbs
170G = 0.374lbs or 6oz.

#19 ·
Razo RA25 340g. Feels awesome and cheap:thumbup:

#22 ·
The Blox shift knob I was going to order is out of stock until next week. Its been out of stock for a while.
I am looking around for other weighted shift knobs.

I was looking at the metal one but it does get very hot in summer and very cold in the winter.

What other ones are good?

Here is one option:
Razo RA96A GT Advance Black Leather Short Shift Knob

#23 ·
See post #15.

#31 ·
I have the TWM M1 Abrams that i had in my G37 that i put in my X. It weighs 460grams (1.0lbs) i love it and it feels great.

I actually just placed my order for the TWM short shifter and i also got a Big Type-R knob from them too in flat black with shift pattern engraved...that one weights 600grams (1.3lbs) so it should feel nice.

Here is a comparison pic of how the Big Type-R stacks up against the rest:

Here an example of the smaller Type-R knob withe flat black and shift pattern:

#36 ·
I have the TWM M1 Abrams that i had in my G37 that i put in my X. It weighs 460grams (1.0lbs) i love it and it feels great.

I actually just placed my order for the TWM short shifter and i also got a Big Type-R knob from them too in flat black with shift pattern engraved...that one weights 600grams (1.3lbs) so it should feel nice.

Here is a comparison pic of how the Big Type-R stacks up against the rest:

Here an example of the smaller Type-R knob withe flat black and shift pattern:

Holy sh!t this is what I want :D
must show pics as soon as u get it:godance:

#33 ·
nice...i saw your thread about it. I went with Works bushings cause there polyurethane. you prob saw my post in your thread.

i just placed my order for the TWM shifter/knob and with Works for both sets of bushings.

#46 ·
I have had a couple of heavier shift knobs in different cars; s2000 (voodoo) - EVO IX & X (custom heavy one with Mitsu logo) and they were great as far as shift feel. However, the only downside I can think of would be during summer and winter, the burning to freezing feel it gets. If you get one with no leather wrap, I would suggest a small sock or something along those lines to cover it while your not driving the car.

Depending on the shape/size of the shift knob, baby socks work great.

#51 ·
#53 ·
Alright so my last post was how my Works bushings were suppose to arrive today and then FedEx moved the arrival date to next Tuesday...well this morning they came lol

by the way the TWM Big Type-R knob is amazing...feels even better than the M1 Abrams I had by them. Shifts are even smoother...it weights 1.3 lbs (600grams). And it looks great! Flat black with shift pattern engraved.

So tonight if I have time I'm gonna install my TWM short shifter along with the Works bushings. I'll make a seperate thread with pictures to compare when I get it done.

#54 ·
Alright so my last post was how my Works bushings were suppose to arrive today and then FedEx moved the arrival date to next Tuesday...well this morning they came lol

by the way the TWM Big Type-R knob is amazing...feels even better than the M1 Abrams I had by them. Shifts are even smoother...it weights 1.3 lbs (600grams).

So tonight if I have time I'm gonna install my TWM short shifter along with the Works bushings. I'll make a seperate thread with pictures to compare when I get it done.
I ordered the Big Type R also. Mine is suppose to be here on Monday with the short shifter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.