Grandma racer in NZ with a WW ;) - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Regional Forums > International > Oceania
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Old 05-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
on2it
Dr. Evo?

Grandma racer in NZ with a WW ;)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/2458...racers-gasping

Nana leaves boy racers gasping

By IAN STEWARD - The Press Last updated 05:00 30/05/2009
Print
Text Size

KIRK HARGREAVES/The Press
RONA MCKAY: 'What I like the best is when I go past all these boy racers in their hard-up cars and they give me the thumbs-up.'
Relevant offers

She's got an $80,000 car pimped out with TV screens and a custom-fitted white leather interior.
Her 2008 Mitsubishi Evo 10 does 0 to 100kmh in 4.8 seconds and she admits to having dragged off some boy racers at the lights. With ease.
Oh, and she's 71 years old.
Redcliffs housewife, mother-of-four and grandmother-of-nine Rona McKay is Christchurch's first (and possibly only) nana racer.
McKay bought the high-performance car from Christchurch dealers Donnithorne Simms after her husband got himself "a big Lexus hybrid". Rona decided she needed something nice for her retirement as well.
McKay bought the car six months ago, but had to wait a little for the white model to be specially shipped in.
"I had to get the seats raised. It was a bit low for me I'm only five foot one (1.55 metres) and I couldn't see over the steering wheel."
Unable to see out the back window either, McKay had a rear-facing video camera installed to show her what she was backing into.
McKay, married for 55 years and proud of her garden (a triple prize winner), spoke to The Press after dropping her granddaughter's lunchbox to her at school. "The grandchildren say, if you're going to pick us up from school today, Nana, can you please, please pick us up in the Evo?"
And when she gets them in the back seat (no icecreams), the kids can be a bad influence.
"I have had a wee race. I shouldn't say this but I pulled up to the lights and I saw these young boys.
"They thought, 'We'll beat this old woman off the mark'. The kids in the back said, 'Go, Nana, go' and those boys got such a shock when I went past them."
McKay said that despite the negative press given to boy racers, she found them courteous and respectful.
"What I like the best is when I go past all these boy racers in their hard-up cars and they give me the thumbs-up. A couple of them followed me into a petrol station.
"They said, 'We're not getting petrol, we were just following you, please can we have a look at your car'."
McKay said she was a very careful driver who in 54 years of driving had never had a ticket or a crash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Cyp
Forum Lackey

cool story.
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Scooter
Forum Addict

Gooooo grandma!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Our little Swiss Army Knives on 4 wheels...
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
torque is how far you take the wall with you." --Anonymous
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
joey
Dr. Evo?

Ww Ftmfw!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
joey
Dr. Evo?

oh and granny for the win also lol

Old 05-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #6
evoxgeo

Thats kool , grandma with a white EVO hell yeahs.... great story.
evoxgeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
Jackygor
Forum Lackey

inspiring story for the old

Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
aevo86
[Local Team Member]

Go grammy indeed.lol.Def shows that evos are pretty equal opportunity. Good for her on a great driving record too.

Supporting Sponser:

2008 Phantom Black X MR
Turbosmart-Harmon Motive-RallyArmor-Agency Power-Muse-MXP-Ultimate Racing-Cobb AP Stage 2 AEM +93oct-Baby Recaro Signo G2
-Rexpeed-Tsudo V2 catback

aevo86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #9
on2it
Dr. Evo?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2461...rs-salute-nana

Quote:
Boy racers salute nana

By IAN STEWARD - The Press Last updated 06:00 01/06/2009
Print
Text Size

Relevant offers

Christchurch car enthusiasts have been quick to embrace a 71-year-old woman who owns an $80,000 boy-racer dream car.
A Bebo page called EvoNan Appreciation was set up during the weekend after Redcliffs woman Rona McKay was featured in The Weekend Press with her customised white Mitsubishi Evo 10.
The car, with the licence plate EVONAN, was bought six months ago and is used for ferrying children to and from school and other grandmother-like activities.
Boy racers on the Bebo internet networking site praised McKay for describing them as "courteous and respectful" towards her.
Many said she was a good counterpoint to the negative press boy racers encountered.
The EvoNan appreciation site had attracted 61 members last night who left messages like "wish she was my nan", "I'd love ta park up wit her!" and "EvoNan, Wish more old people were like her".
The boy racer who set up the site, who asked to be known only as Danny, said McKay's car was a boy racer's dream, but, "I don't think anyone could afford it".

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
TRUSTcompany9000
Forum Addict

I want to see the white leather interior!

Get a How-To submitted

Get in on our Monthly Contests right
TRUSTcompany9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement