9 Things you may not know about the Evo X - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X News
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X News Official news on the Evo X to be posted here

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
GAmbrose

9 Things you may not know about the Evo X

Press Release Mitsubishi Motors in the UK

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAIL
NINE DESIGN DETAILS FOR LANCER EVOLUTION X ENHANCED PERFORMANCE ~

1. No Reverse Gear –To save weight, the 5-speed manual transmission has no dedicated reverse gear. Instead, it uses an arrangement in which first and third gears engage with an idler gear on a separate shaft to reverse the direction of rotation.

2. Spoilers In The Wheel Arch - The wheel houses have a miniscule spoiler lip around the curve of the wheel to prevent the wind from swirling in the wheel housing thus improving the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

3. Energy Saving Glass - Solar control glass uses an infrared absorbing material in its intermediate layer to reduce transmission of solar heat by 66-100%. The glass also cuts out transmission of ultra-violet light but transmits all visible light to keep the interior airy and light.

4. Stainless Steel Manifold - The exhaust system uses a stainless steel manifold,which is smoother than other alternatives to maximise airflow. An Inconel turbocharger is located downstream and optimisation of the compressor wheel has improved response by 18% over the Lancer Evolution IX.

5. Your Car, The Way You Want It - Mitsubishi’s ETACs (Electronic Total Automobile Control) system allows you to personalise the set up of your car, just the way you want it. You can decide how long the interior light stays on after door closure, if at all. You decide when the wing mirrors fold in and out –at the touch of a button, or automatically when the door is closed and ignition switched on or off. You choose.

6. Acoustic Engineering – The latest in lightweight acoustic and vibration dampening materials, including foam filling for the pillars, have been strategically placed throughout the body of the Lancer Evolution X. This ensures noise and vibration performance that befits a new generation high performance saloon,while minimising any weight increase.

7. Lights That Look Around Corners – The Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) uses high intensity discharge (HID) headlights increase the driver’s field of vision to make night driving safer. The clever bit is that the car detects when the driver turns the steering wheel and automatically switches on an additional beam to light up the oncoming corner.

8. External Vents Improve Breathing – Two bonnet vents release engine heat, as with previous Evolutions, but a new feature is the central air intake to help the engine breath and increase power output. New vents have also been added behind the front wheel to let engine heat escape more efficiently.

9. F1 Floating Piston Technology - The all-new aluminium engine is not only 12KG lighter than the previous 2.0 straight four unit, but also uses full floating pistons made by Mahle, renowned for use in F1 cars. Made of a very hard and strong alloy the pistons are able to handle the higher power produced by this road-ready performance car.

Thanks to Black Knight, a UK Dealer for this info:

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=190134

Gary A

Last edited by GAmbrose; 02-19-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Better formatting
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Gumbö
Just Spooling Up

Cheers for that. One or two bits I had never heard of.
Gumbö is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
DJ_Bboy

nice find....
DJ_Bboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
darth g-f

Why the hell is the Evo so heavy. I keep on reading about the things Mitsu did to remove weight, but the car still weighs 3500+lbs!!! It's almost twice the weight of my Elise!

So far I've read about:
-aluminium roof, hood and fenders
-lighter engine
-no dedicated reverse gear
-forged wheels
-2 piece aluminium rotors

The Evo is a pig. It performs really well despite its weight, but imagine a 3000lbs Evo!
BMWCCA Instructor
darth g-f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Robevo
[Rally Driving Madman]

Those things can't save the 5 extra airbag weight and the reinforced body.
They sounds good , specially the 2 piece rotors /wich are really give benefits/.
So if you gutt the car out, then it will be a beast for sure.

Ted Theodore, CCR-SCCA Board of Director
Quote: " People under estimate Rob and that Evo. They are in for a surprise. 5th fastest car last year... but all his runs were in the wet Saturday while all else ran Sunday on the dry."
Robevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Gumbö
Just Spooling Up

Its all about target Markets I suppose. I would never have bought the old Evo because I hated the way it looked. I can just about cope with the new one. I ordered it based on cost : performance ratio and the fact that my Mrs wants a baby which would be awkward stuck in the trunk of an Exige for example The added extras now in the X to make it livable are an added bonus. Im used to leather seats and bluetooth and sat nav etc so to get them in the car is great. The X is a fast road car the old Evos were road going rally cars, thats the difference for me.
Gumbö is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
EvoX-LI
Just Spooling Up

I had no idea the mirrors fold in. (#5)
EvoX-LI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Robevo
[Rally Driving Madman]

"The X is a fast road car the old Evos were road going rally cars, thats the difference for me."

You just naild it. And that is why so controversial. The older Evo guys, realy cant get along with it, and some even feel cheaten by Mitsubishi. The new ones wasn't envolved with the "religion" anyway so for them don't matter the changes.
And no offense ,but i think with new generation Evo owners, the crowd might be "watered" down. It is good for buisness? Time will tell. [/font]
The older versions got fans, and strong ones. That is why the Evo lives today. You got to be a fan boy to have one... And not like in the states, those fans most of the time have automotive knowlidge behind them. Reason they brought it, is a raw and pure performance + technology out of box. Wich is a new X lost 2.
I'm just telling you this to understand the roots of the differences between owners. The new ones compere the X with the BMW etc. The old ones with the STI etc. You see where i'm going?

I like the X . But i still have some unsolved issue with it / including money too / . I hope this year will clear out and i can join the club.

Ted Theodore, CCR-SCCA Board of Director
Quote: " People under estimate Rob and that Evo. They are in for a surprise. 5th fastest car last year... but all his runs were in the wet Saturday while all else ran Sunday on the dry."
Robevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
Mojito
Just Spooling Up

You can reverse in this car, right?

Last edited by Mojito; 02-19-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Mojito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbö View Post
I ordered it based on cost : performance ratio and the fact that my Mrs wants a baby which would be awkward stuck in the trunk of an Exige for example
LMAO. Classic.

#5 is a shock to me...wonder where I could go to customize these settings?
Kooldino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement