Need some advice on what turbo to get - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Turbo
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Turbo Discussion for turbo systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
Metal_AF
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyEvoX View Post
If it was that much than sure but he told me that if I do cams I need springs, if I get those I should get buckets, he kept going on till it was the entire head lol. This turbo will make more than the power I'm after so I don't need cams to get to that power level at least. I'm at 12k in parts only... I have no idea what labor will be so I'm already way over my budget

I understand needing to draw the line somewhere when it comes to budget, but he really could have stopped at cams/springs/retainers/buckets.

Bigger cam and stronger springs would have helped that bigger turbo breathe and let you rev out past the OEM redline. They match up very nice.
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #12
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_AF View Post
I understand needing to draw the line somewhere when it comes to budget, but he really could have stopped at cams/springs/retainers/buckets.

Bigger cam and stronger springs would have helped that bigger turbo breathe and let you rev out past the OEM redline. They match up very nice.
And how much would that have been? He said I might as well do the the rest of the head at that point and it would be at least another 2-3k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EFR 8374 + Build in progres. . .
ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
QTP Test Pipe (w/cut out)
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
MannyEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #13
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

If it was $600 then I'd definitely do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch

Old 09-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
Metal_AF
Just Spooling Up

Cams ~$650
Springs/Retainers ~$350
OEM Buckets ~$300

It adds up quick, and that's just in parts.

I'm not sure the gains are worth the extra cost to do the rest of the head right now. Whats left? Porting and larger valves? Not really worth it for you just yet. Cams and springs make notable changes to the power band and how the engine behaves compared to OEM.

Last edited by Metal_AF; 09-27-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #15
razorlab

Quote:
If it was that much than sure but he told me that if I do cams I need springs, if I get those I should get buckets, he kept going on till it was the entire head lol. This turbo will make more than the power I'm after so I don't need cams to get to that power level at least. I'm at 12k in parts only... I have no idea what labor will be so I'm already way over my budget
12k in parts? My 900-1000hp capable sleeved motor didn't cost that much in parts.

No need for all new buckets. I reused all mine and they are all checked to spec with the new cams.

Either way, your choice, I think it's dumb not to add cams while the whole motor is apart but hey... whatever..

As an aside, my motor makes easy power, 540whp at 24psi, 640whp at 29psi. Good builds make good power.

razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #16
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
12k in parts? My 900-1000hp capable sleeved motor didn't cost that much in parts.

No need for all new buckets. I reused all mine and they are all checked to spec with the new cams.

Either way, your choice, I think it's dumb not to add cams while the whole motor is apart but hey... whatever..

As an aside, my motor makes easy power, 540whp at 24psi, 640whp at 29psi. Good builds make good power.
$5,000 for forged engine parts, oil parts etc (had rod knock) I think that includes labor I'm not sure. $500 for a used OEM crank. $800 for like new set of ID1700x's. $200 for downpipe (now not needed anymore) $6,000 for EFR 8374 turbo kit from Full Race. That right there is $12,500. I'm not sure how much labor will cost either, I had no idea it would be even be close to this price, everyone told me like $3,000-4,000 but just to rebuild my motor, lets say I kept the stock turbo and went with forged internals he quoted me $8,500

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Old 09-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #17
Metal_AF
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
$5,000 for forged engine parts, oil parts etc (had rod knock) I think that includes labor I'm not sure. $500 for a used OEM crank. $800 for like new set of ID1700x's. $200 for downpipe (now not needed anymore) $6,000 for EFR 8374 turbo kit from Full Race. That right there is $12,500. I'm not sure how much labor will cost either, I had no idea it would be even be close to this price, everyone told me like $3,000-4,000 but just to rebuild my motor, lets say I kept the stock turbo and went with forged internals he quoted me $8,500

Yeah, seems a little high to rebuild the bottom end. You can buy a complete "race" spec short block from ER for $6500 already assembled:
https://englishracing.net/collection...ce-short-block
Old 09-28-2018, 07:21 PM   #18
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_AF View Post
Yeah, seems a little high to rebuild the bottom end. You can buy a complete "race" spec short block from ER for $6500 already assembled:
https://englishracing.net/collection...ce-short-block
Damn and it's sleeved and it comes with a new crank. Probably would of been a better way to go but I can't look back at it now. The reason I went with this guy is he's literally my next door neighbor to my fathers shop, he always has a ton of dsm, subie and sometimes GTR's at his shop so he seems to do good work. He also has an 1,150whp evo9 that runs high 8's so I trust him, but it would be nice to have a sleeved motor

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Old 09-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #19
razorlab

Quote:
lol, I don't factor in turbo kits with engine build costs. But yea, a 6k kit will blow the budget out for sure.

My RED sleeved block + high quality rotating parts (CP Pistons, Carrillo PRO-H rods, etc) was right around $5,500 built. 900-1000hp capable.

The sleeving cost $1,600 itself total shipped to and from RED.

That overall cost included all new pullies, belts, timing chain, tensioners, chain guides, rear main seal, OEM oil pump, ARP main studs, main and rod bearings, MAP oil pan, MAP oil cooler and labor of assembling the shortblock.

Here is a list of my engine build:

Last edited by razorlab; 09-28-2018 at 09:28 PM.
razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2018, 03:37 AM   #20
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
lol, I don't factor in turbo kits with engine build costs. But yea, a 6k kit will blow the budget out for sure.

My RED sleeved block + high quality rotating parts (CP Pistons, Carrillo PRO-H rods, etc) was right around $5,500 built. 900-1000hp capable.

The sleeving cost $1,600 itself total shipped to and from RED.

That overall cost included all new pullies, belts, timing chain, tensioners, chain guides, rear main seal, OEM oil pump, ARP main studs, main and rod bearings, MAP oil pan, MAP oil cooler and labor of assembling the shortblock.

Here is a list of my engine build:

wow that's pretty cool. Today I texted my tuner and asked him if we can use the oem buckets if I bought cams and springs. He said "we can but valve lash will still need to be set" Idk what that means can you explain? And how much would aftermarket buckets cost?

I found 214-b cams and springs for $750 new so I was thinking of just getting them if thats all I need. So that's all I'd need to rev to 8500? nothing else? Any info on what cams would be recommended? I haven't researched much about that

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement