Need some advice on what turbo to get - Page 3 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Turbo
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Turbo Discussion for turbo systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #21
mikelbring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyEvoX View Post
wow that's pretty cool. Today I texted my tuner and asked him if we can use the oem buckets if I bought cams and springs. He said "we can but valve lash will still need to be set" Idk what that means can you explain? And how much would aftermarket buckets cost?

I found 214-b cams and springs for $750 new so I was thinking of just getting them if thats all I need. So that's all I'd need to rev to 8500? nothing else? Any info on what cams would be recommended? I haven't researched much about that
I was able to get most of the buckets I needed from chrysler for pretty cheap. There is a list some where.
mikelbring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #22
LeesEvoX
Forum Lackey

Quote:
wow that's pretty cool. Today I texted my tuner and asked him if we can use the oem buckets if I bought cams and springs. He said "we can but valve lash will still need to be set" Idk what that means can you explain? And how much would aftermarket buckets cost?

I found 214-b cams and springs for $750 new so I was thinking of just getting them if thats all I need. So that's all I'd need to rev to 8500? nothing else? Any info on what cams would be recommended? I haven't researched much about that
Be careful revving out to 8500 on stock oil system. On long pulls.

I raced a buddy in his shelby mustang. Needed that 8500rpm in every gear until I shifted to 5th. Then BOOM. Blew my dipstick out, evacuated all oil over my windshield. And blew a nice hole in the top of a piston.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2013 PB Evo X GSR- Kozmic Built 2.0l (stock Sleeves) Kelford 214-b cams/Brian Crower titanium springs & retainers/ Wiseco forged pistons/Manley TT forged Rods/ETS Tubular Manifold/ETS Intake W/ Custom 3.5" MAF/ETS 4" IC/ETS UICP/Synapse DV/ID2000's
and a GTX3576R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tuned by Kozmic @ 500awhp & 365tq (E85)
Blown Ringlands, Its what makes Subaru, a Subaru
LeesEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #23
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesEvoX View Post

I raced a buddy in his shelby mustang. Needed that 8500rpm in every gear until I shifted to 5th. Then BOOM. Blew my dipstick out, evacuated all oil over my windshield. And blew a nice hole in the top of a piston.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's why you gotta stop at 4th and ease into the throttle lol. Well I guess I'll be careful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EFR 8374 + Build in progres. . .
ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
QTP Test Pipe (w/cut out)
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
MannyEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #24
razorlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesEvoX View Post

I do this lap after lap after lap, sometimes 8,800rpm.

Here is a log of a full session on a 3 mile track with oil pressure, etc : https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/thunde...data=3-8-13-17

Here is a zoom in on the front straight until 132 mph. Deep into 5th gear: https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/thunde...om=44583-45635

Something else was going on with yours.

Last edited by razorlab; 10-02-2018 at 08:20 PM.
razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #25
turismolover22
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
I do this lap after lap after lap, sometimes 8,800rpm.

Here is a log of a full session on a 3 mile track with oil pressure, etc : https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/thunde...data=3-8-13-17

Here is a zoom in on the front straight until 132 mph. Deep into 5th gear: https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/thunde...om=44583-45635

Something else was going on with yours.
I agree, popping the center of a piston out sounds more like detonation or just a plain meltdown from an aggressive tune. Pump could of hiccuped as well.

In my experience, oiling issues show up as lost bearings and scored cylinder walls.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 12:17 AM   #26
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Guys my tuner said to get 214-b cams & springs, I've read between them and the GSC2 there isn't too much of a difference cause they're both good cams. I'm trying to find a good deal on cams so I can save a little money (it adds up) so if I was to find a deal on the GSC but not on the 214 would it make a difference? Or do you think the 214-b is better and that's why he said to go with them? If they're equally just as good I'm just gonna buy which ever one I can find a deal on. If I can't find any in new condition would you think It'd be ok to buy ones in good condition or is this something I need to buy new? Sorry for the stupid questions

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Old 10-03-2018, 04:44 AM   #27
razorlab

Quote:
Guys my tuner said to get 214-b cams & springs, I've read between them and the GSC2 there isn't too much of a difference cause they're both good cams. I'm trying to find a good deal on cams so I can save a little money (it adds up) so if I was to find a deal on the GSC but not on the 214 would it make a difference? Or do you think the 214-b is better and that's why he said to go with them? If they're equally just as good I'm just gonna buy which ever one I can find a deal on. If I can't find any in new condition would you think It'd be ok to buy ones in good condition or is this something I need to buy new? Sorry for the stupid questions
The Kelfords are less aggressive. The GSC S2's are more aggressive and technically will make more power up top with a turbo that can do it.

Kelfords there is basically no idle lope. GSC S2's lope.

I personally use the Kelfords and have no problem making 640whp to 9,000rpm.

razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #28
Metal_AF
Just Spooling Up

Here are the #'s. Kelford 214-B's intake is closer to sc2's and exhaust is closer to s1's.

Kelford 214-B
270/262 Duration
11.00mm/10.00mm Lift

GSC S1
264/264 Duration
10.20mm/10.00mm Lift

GSC S2
274/274 Duration
11.20mm/11.00mm Lift

I run the S2's and don't mind the lope. No experience with the Kelford but razorlab knows his stuff. Its more of a case of either "either one is way better than OEM".
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2018, 03:17 AM   #29
Kento240
Just Spooling Up

Glad dude is finally considering cams after all. I would've went with a cheaper turbo setup especially if the goal is just 500whp.

2011 GG EVO X, SSL, Aero, Sunroof
117K miles

2.2L Stroked and sleeved- Wiseco 10:1- Carrillo Pro H Beam Rods- GSC S2- ID1700- Walbaro 525LPH- Radium -8an Fuel Feed and Filter-Cosworth Rail- Aeromotive FPR- Driven Fab T4 EFR 8474 EWG Turbo Kit- MAP test pipe- HKS Hi Power CBE- OS Giken Twin Clutch- MAP CMC

Previous Cars:
2002 Eclipse GT (still own)
2009 Lancer GTS
2010 Evo X MR
2011 Evo X GSR (current)
Kento240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #30
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kento240 View Post
Glad dude is finally considering cams after all. I would've went with a cheaper turbo setup especially if the goal is just 500whp.
Yes well most of my build changed. Originally I was trying to be on the tightest budget so he was working with that to get me 500whp so we were gonna do an FP Black but after how many other parts I really needed I said I might as well go T3. Then after extensive research found EFR to be the best and has much quicker spool traits and I was worried about spool since I'm coming from a stock turbo. Then I was asking him about getting cams but he kinda talked me out of it because he still thought I was on a budget but now I understand and will be getting cams and springs, then no more lol

The reason I went with the 8374 is because I didn't want to push the turbo to it's max to get the power. What I was really looking for was in-between the 7670 & 8374. Also I am capable of running e85 but I'm starting to not want to have to use it because I feel it will be a PITA so I think I can hit 600 even on pump with this turbo. Besides it's definitely better than a 6266 which is what my tuner recommended me to get.

Btw all these HP numbers my tuner and I discussed are for HIS dyno which is a mustang dyno. So he knows what power different turbos will make on it (ex. 5858 - 93 - 470) which is why he suggested the 6266. So I'd like to break 500 on his dyno and 600 with e85 if necessary

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement