Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

RallyX skidplate

11K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  Roger351 
#1 ·
Since I'm new here just figured I put it out there. A buddy of mine does fabrication work so if anyone was interested in a skidplate for rallyx or just dirt road fun I could gve you his contact info. I've een running the plate he made for me for quite awhile now with no concerns and it has taken quite a beating, especially when I was marshaling for Black River Stages. He does Rallymoto bikes, Subies and Mitsus. Not slinging parts or advertising for him, just letting people know as its hard to find a plate for Mitsus.

#2 ·
sick, can you post some pictures of yours and possibly a price? been looking for something like this. might be prepping my car for rallyx.

#3 ·
I don't have any pics for the X as he is still designing it. I have pics from my Evo 8 of the prototype. I'm hesitant to post prices or anything of that nature as I'm not trying to vend for him and beiing new don't want to bring down the thunder for breaking any rules LOL.

Here is what he cam up with for my car though, we are putting it up on his lift next week so I should have some good pics from underneath then.

The one side extrend to protect the oil cooler on the 8.

#4 ·
holy crap thats thick. Tell me thats aluminum, else that thing must weigh like 50 lbs. I would prefer 3/32" 1100 Aluminum.

looks like a good job, just a bit overkill.

#5 ·
3/16 Aluminum. Total weight is a bit under 30 pounds. I needed the thickness for the back roads in the adirondack park and the occasional mamal that gets hit (took out a porcupine last week). The thickness also helped the structural rigidity with the section that covers the oil cooler, thinner might not have worked. It has a precut hole so the oil can be changed without removal and the front lip can be done either at a 90 degree like I have or straight or 45 degrees.

As far as the X it all depends on what he finds for mounting points and such as to what thickness he will make, he doesn't want something that isn't going to serve the purpose.

#8 ·
hmm can you get a price, makkinen? I might be interested in this, if the juice is worth the squeeze.

#9 ·
The one for the X will be getting designed and installed later this month on a rally car so I will have a price for sure after that. I can give you the price for the one for the 8/9 but that could be higher or lower than for the X, depending on the amount of materials used and where it has to be mounted. The front plate and read diff plate for the 8/9 was WELL under $1k though so I see no reason for the X to be much more that they were cost-wise.

#14 · (Edited)
Subaru is easier to bolt to, he also make subie plates. Beyond that his subie plates are much more extensive in coverage than most of what you'll find out there and definately more than those at that price.

I talked with him though and my quote was (at least for the 8/9) a bit high from what he said roughly 600ish, but it depends of the price fluctuation in materials.

As far as the mounting plate I've had mine on for awhile and have bottomed hard many times on dirt roads, especially over jumps. There has been no damage whatsoever to the plate or the brackets. There are also the side brackets holding it up so the snowplow issue isn't significant. If you hit hard enough to do that much damage, the plate is going to be a distant concern to your now destroyed suspension.

#13 ·
Good point. best to use mounting points where the bolts are perpendicular to the skidplate.

Might also be another reason to have a thinner skidplate, so that it would deform before it sheared bolts off.

#22 ·
Back from the dead bump, pics?

#24 ·
LOL definately haven't checked this in awhile, I'll be on more now if anyone wants to know anything. Final production front and rear plates are going on the car now with some tweaks to the design as well as a trunk cage and mudflaps. Sorry for being missing in action on this.

#26 ·
Anyone interested pm me and I can give you the number of the fabricator, I don't want to say a price that isn't correct either high or low with the change on material costs. I know he just had several cut and should be ready to sell them.

Install is a simple bolt on affair with supplied heavy duty brackets

#31 ·
thickness of the plate:

thats all i have now. I'll see my car soon hope fully, and then i will make some pictures.
I been busy and working in dallas few mile from NJ , so i didnt even see my car get tuned and so on so forth :)

But i promise as soon as i see the car i'll make some pictures.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.