Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Axle problem.... need some advice.

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  sgtpruitt 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's the story, started taking apart my car for some mods that I will be doing. Now on the drivers side when I took off the wheel I noticed some grease in the area, upon me looking a little better i noticed the axle boot towards the inside closer to the motor was ripped. I also noticed the lower ball joint was ripped as well.
My issue is this, the car is apart at the moment but the dealer said to bring it in and the warranty will cover those parts. Now the problem is the car is apart so taking the car to the dealer is not really an option right now and when I'm done with the car with all the mods I dont think they'll really want to warranty the parts then.

So does anyone have any advice on what I can do to get the dealer to warranty it still? Would suck to have to pay over $600 for an axle that was clearly broken from normal driving but once they see the mods they wont believe that.

#7 ·
theres no other way around if you want your dealer to be non the wiser about you breaking your warrenty or if you want the dealer to pay for it. :( you'll have to put the car back together again.. unless ofcourse you want to fix the problem yourself.

#8 ·
Well what I have done was video tape with proof of date and time, and the damage to the axle, also showing that the mods that will be done to the car is still brand new in the box and has never been installed but will be once I do get the car to the dealer, just incase you never know...lol

Here are the pics of the axle....

#9 ·
All you really need is a boot at this point. BTW, that damage was done by someone working on the car, the balljoint boot was torn with a balljoint separator (pickle fork) most likely, inner boots are never damaged from driving, period. Any experienced tech at the dealer wouldn't warranty it. Good luck.

#10 ·
Actually I am going to disagree with you, the shop the car is in getting the mods done is also my place of employment.

The lowering springs were installed about 3 months ago, then about a month ago, me myself did a brake change and no notice of this problem with the axle. Since then the tire from my car was never removed until recently, where upon removal this was noticed.
I mean I appreciate your response but my car is never touched without me being around so I know everything that is being done and no prior work done to the car caused this problem.

#12 ·
Looks like your axle turned and the boot didn't? Don't know why it would. That looks like what happened to my friends srt4. But his was installation error and there was popping, plastic, and metal everywhere.

If you did some suspension work, unless the dealer is cool, they probably could easily blame it on you.

I don't think just lowering the car would do that. Unless you had a clutch job done or some other suspension mods just throw the fact they already said it was covered and magnussen moss in their face.

For the lower ball joint you could get the whiteline kit since it replaces them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.