Wheel Offset FAQ - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
FLK
Forum Lackey

Wheel Offset FAQ

Offset Explained:
Wheel offset is simply the distance between a wheel's hub-mounting surface and its center-line:

-A positive offset means the hub-mounting surface is closer to the wheel's front side, giving the spokes a flat or convex appearance. The stock Enkei/BBS wheel on the Evo X is 18x8.5 with an offset of +38.
-A negative offset means the hub-mounting surface is closer to the wheel's back side, giving the spokes a concave appearance.
-A zero offset is where the mounting surface coincides with the wheel's center-line.

Rubbing:
-Because offset determines the lateral position of the wheel, wheel width combined with a new offset must be chosen properly so that both wheel and tire have enough space within the wheelwell to avoid rubbing.
-Rubbing is when the tire contacts some part of the car when the suspension is compressed from: bumps, full load, full lock, or when the car is cornering. If the offset is too low, the outermost tread of the tire can have contact with the fender. If the offset is too high, then the tire may rub on the chassis, bang against the struts, or simply not clear the calipers.

What works on the X:
-Remember, just because it fits - doesn't mean it works!
-These recommended ranges are a good balance between safety, visual appeal, and performance on a stock car with no suspension modifications needed.

8.5" width: +17 to +38 offset (245/40R18 or 245/35R19 tires)
9.0" width: +20 to +32 offset (245-255/40R18 or 245-255/35R19 tires)
9.5" width: +22 to +30 offset (255/40R18 to 265/35R18 or 255/35R19 tires)

Here's 8.5 +22:

Here's 8.5 +31:

Here's 9.0 +22:

Here's 9.5 +22:

For more examples visit our Wheel Gallery.

FAQ

Q. Why are those offset recommendation numbers not evenly spaced?
-Because those numbers are commonly found manufacturer offsets, not absolutes.

Q. I am ordering wheels, but what numbers do I pick?

-Any wheel that will be mounted on the X needs a PCD of 5x114.3. Make sure you know what center bore the wheel's mounting hole is. The stock hub's bore is 67.1mm. You must purchase a ring adapter if the replacement wheel's center bore is larger, for example at 73mm.

Q. How do I see what offset my wheels are?
-Inspect the inner part of your wheel where tire weights are stickied, somewhere you should see an ETxx where xx is your offset.

Q. I'm confused, isn't a higher +offset supposed to make the wheels stick out more?
-No, the higher a +offset, the more distance between the wheel's centerline to it's hub-mounting surface. When that wheel is mounted to the car's hub, that offset distance gets added INSIDE of the wheel-well. That's why when someone says the wheels stick out 10mm over stock, it means the offset was reduced by 10mm, for example +38 to +28.
-The lower the offset, the more your wheels stick out.

Q. I want to run 9.5" +15 or some crazy low offset?
-Not recommended: At any point where the wheel/tires begin to stick out of the fenders instead of being tucked in will result in an increase in drag. You will lose mileage and performance. Your turning radius will begin to deteriorate, and your suspension will become strained from the exaggerated track width.
-The 9.5" +22 offset is already very aggressive and at the very edge of the fenders. Any further out and your side skirts, doors, and rear quarter panel will become sandblasted by the road debris kicked up by your tires.

Q. I want to run 10" or wider wheels?
-Not recommended: You will have to run 275 to 285 tires and there are no traction benefits outside of a race circuit on dry tarmac. You will gain a lot of unsprung weight. You will lose steering/handling response from your fat tires, which will also cause you to lose big-time on wet performance.
-265's on 9.5" wheels should be the limit on street driven cars with occasional track days.

Q. What is an ideal, balanced fitment that gives me a gain in performance over stock without lowering?
-A forged 9.0" wheel with an offset of +25 to +32 and 255/40R18 tires.

Q. What setting should I use on my torque wrench when installing lug nuts?
-If dry torque, 80 ft/lbs.
-If wet when using anti-seize, 70 ft/lbs.

Q. I have 9.0 wheels and 255 tires like you recommended, so how come on full-lock my tires rub against the inner liners?
-You probably have a lower offset than +25 with your 9.0 wheels. Tires of different manufacturer's can also vary even with the same specs.
-For a proper DIY fix of inner fender rub see this thread.

Help this FAQ grow by posting your questions or comments, stories or pics.

Last edited by FLK; 06-08-2009 at 06:50 PM.
FLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
on2it
Dr. Evo?

Can you explain how 5X100 and 5X114.3 are different?
ie if the rim doesnt have any markings.. how would one tell if its 100 or 114? where are the measurements taken from?

https://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10457

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|

Last edited by on2it; 01-10-2009 at 11:52 PM.
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Kupkake
Just Spooling Up

so...

If stock is 8.5 +35mm offset
And I get a 18in 8.5 +22mm offset

...Then my wheels will sit further out within the wheel-wells?
OR will they sit Deeper into the wheel-wells then the stocks?
Kupkake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
goofygrin
Doesn't live on Mercury

going from +35 to +22 will make the edge of the wheel closer to the fender.

I'm not sure I agree with some of the statements in the original post regarding whether or not a > 9.5" wheel of less than +22 offset being truly bad. Although you will have to roll the fenders if you're going that aggressive.
goofygrin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Kupkake
Just Spooling Up

okay cool.
Kupkake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
ricanevo
Just Spooling Up

?

so 5X114.3 19X10 +25 won't work in the rear?

GET IN

I'LL SHOW U!!!!

P.S.
IT'S GOING TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ricanevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
iceman5
Just Spooling Up

hey.. I just ordered my rims and I decided to go 19 x 9.5 +22 offset... what should my tires be at?? any ideas?? I was thinking 275/30/19 or 275/35/19??
iceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
FLK
Forum Lackey

^Are you stock height?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
evoatcha
n00b

Hey are there any 17" wheels that will fit a stock Evo X? I've heard unconfirmed rumors that certain 17" wheels will clear the calipers. Please confirm or shoot this down. Thanks!
evoatcha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
FLK
Forum Lackey

Some 17's fit, like the TE37's - do a search for photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement