Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

best turbo kit ???

38K views 84 replies 31 participants last post by  STAGEXEVO 
#1 ·
:shades: whats going on im new to the forum i have a evo x gsr full bolts on on e85 no internals work done yet 410hp/390tq and im trying to hit the 500s hp. i've been looking for a turbo upgrade i got eyes on the gtx3576r or a nice turbo kit. any opinions on a good turbo kit for the money?

#2 ·
Driven Fabrication T4 with EFR 7670

#5 ·
They don't have it listed on their website yet, you can give them a call and order one.

#7 ·
#14 ·
Or here's another wild thought. Consult your tuner and see what he recommends? Lol

#16 ·
BEST ADVICE RIGHT HERE

But from some one has installed both the Full Race EFR turbo kit and Driven Turbo Kit... Full Race gets my vote.

You can go 7670 you will make ~450 to wheels on a Mustang Dyno (my old setup)
Or you can go 8374 and make over ~500+ and push the power slightly to the right

Other good options are the GTX3576r for 500+

If you want to see actual graphs of what Driven Fab kit, Full Race, and the GTX3576r I can show you or hit up Jon @ 5150.

Side note: I haven't updated my build thread in forever but I am running the EFR8374 IWG

#17 · (Edited)
This is like saying what is your favorite soda pop?

everyone going to have there own opion of what they believe is best.

Set a budget then do some research lots of great kits and turbos out there. Also look if you wanna stay stock frame or go t3/t4 route. t3/t4 is more expensive but will usually yeild the best results, nothing wrong with a good stock frame neither though there some very potent stock frame turbos out there.

research, research, research

IMO I went with the ATP gtx3576R as I felt it was the best offering for a stock frame setup. Having to re use my already intake, dp was appealing to me. If I was to do it again I would look to a Full Race borg warner EFR kit. In my opion BW or Garrett make the best turbos on the market both performance/reliability.

#21 ·
Full race has a lifetime warranty (fuck yeah). Some other companies offer this, so check with them. But full race has been making turbo kits and turbo manifolds for like 20 something years or more or something. The experience they have and the working relationships they have with turbo manufacturers is second to only professional racing teams.

Can driven fab make a quality kit? I'm sure of it. So can CBRD. But full race is in a different category. I wanna put CBRD in that category too since the guy has some pro racing experience, but he's really particular on what he offers for his kits and not everyone agrees with his philosophy. It's not a bad thing, but people are stuck in their ways and don't always consider people's backgrounds on car forums. As an engineer myself i see this all the time as i provide simple engineering insight that at times doesn't jive with popular thought, so people flame me. Whatever. Keep doing things sub-optimal. I don't care.

CBRD makes no kit for the 8374 or 7670 on the X, but he's got a strong case for an open volute 7163. I'm considering it myself honestly, but with someone on a stock clutch SST, i'm forced to shift my power to the right of the curve in order to keep my clutches happy on the track. Still need to do research myself, but due to having to delay tq and keep it in check, i think i may as well opt for a 7670 or 3576.

Find out your design constraints based on your setup and spec a turbo around that. For me it is tq levels. 330 tq is really the max i want to push, which forces me to a larger turbo to maintain ~330 tq levels in the upper RPM band. My X is also a track car so i'd rather have 330 tq at 6k rpm vs 3k. Stock frame turbo behavior just won't fit the bill here.

#27 ·
FIC injectors suck, they idle like shit.

#30 ·
Fic injectors are fine. I love how 2 people spew that they are junk and an entire legion of people just follow along cause they know no better.

#40 ·
I wasn't aware of any other efr kit besides DF, FR and CBRD.

#38 ·
Clutch if i could i would get the exedy twin clutch but is over 2k so im problably going with exedy stage two or three. I have id 1000 now but i heard for the gtx3576r to get a better spool im gonna need 1100 cc and up and both IDs and FIC are quality products. For tune Carbee's tune forsure. I bought the cams with the springs and retainers kit already saving up for the turbo and the rest of the stuff ? .

#39 ·
Clutch if i could i would get the exedy twin clutch but is over 2k so im problably going with exedy stage two or three. I have id 1000 now but i heard for the gtx3576r to get a better spool im gonna need 1100 cc and up and both IDs and FIC are quality products. For tune Carbee's tune forsure. I bought the cams with the springs and retainers kit already saving up for the turbo and the rest of the stuff �� .
Id 1000 are fine for that turbo. I have the GTX3576R paired to a built motor, cams and such.

I spool juuuuuuust fine :)

#47 ·
I have to admit I have not installed one of these or have anyone running one. But I do have a couple questions:

1. Why not use the BOV on the turbo? Looks like in your kit your still using an Aftermarket BOV coming off the Intake. Is their a benefit that you have seen running it that why?
2. Does your kit come with a heat shield like DF? I know FR doesn't but for a complete kit I was wondering if yours does.
3. Do you have a pic of your turbo lines and fittings?

I do like that you guys offer the 3.5" down pipe, not sure that is needed for the 7670 but for 8374 and 9180 that is a nice option. I wish you guys would offer that down pipe separately from your kit.

I did have one guy who was going to run your kit, but I guess DF gave him a better deal so he went with them.

Seeing how your manifold looks I wonder if it would be comparable to the DF one as well. Seems to be more bulky then FR. Right now I am comparing the DF 7670 Kit with the FR 7670 Kit, same tuner same fuel same everything but the turbo kit itself to see if there is any benefit to the more bulky manifold vs the better fitting manifold. Once tuning is complete on both I can post a VD graph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.