Full Race EFR 8374 IWG Problem - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Old 05-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Full Race EFR 8374 IWG Problem

Hey guys my car is finally getting tuned now after all this time but once again we've ran into yet another problem! Hopefully someone can help.

So my tuner is saying that the car is boosting to 35+ PSI no mater what he does, he then tested the turbo "using an air compressor to put pressure to it without the car running" and he took a video of why he believes the car is having this problem. I'll attach a video if I can.

They believe that something is caught on something which is making the metal on the actuator bend when it shouldn't be.*

All I can say is that one thing FOR SURE is that Full Race's downpipe is cocked, it tilts my exhaust waaaaay lopsided so much so that my exhaust was burning through my diffuser while everything was bolted up perfectly, I had to bend my hangers just to temporarily fix that (still very lopsided) but otherwise I'm gonna have to saw off my exhaust and weld it back together because of that. So I'm wondering if either that could cause a problem or maybe they messed up on other parts in the kit?*

This "minor issue" is turning into a HUGE one because they've already told me months before that this kit is extremely tight and they have no room to work in there. In order to replace the wastegate/etc they have to take the turbo out and in order to take the turbo out they have to drop the motor. That's another $2,500-$3,000 just to fix this issue! This build has been a nightmare that never seems to end, I've had nothing but problems with this build. If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.

For now he has sent an email to Full Race with the video and asking them why we can't control the boost and what we need to do so all I can do is wait...*
Attached Files
File Type: mov EFR TURBO PROBLEM.mov (3.79 MB, 8 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EFR 8374 + Build in progres. . .
ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
QTP Test Pipe (w/cut out)
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
MannyEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Splattj

Can you get your tuner to take a video of the wastegate flapper at the end of the actuator arm to see if it is moving or binding? It really just looks to me like the wastegate arm is adjusted in a way such that it reaches the end of travel and then flexes the mounting bracket. It's either that or the wastegate is binding up on something.

Did the compressor housing get clocked during the install? If so, it may be possible to loose the compressor housing clamp and rotate it to a position where the actuator doesn't bind any longer.

That's a huge bummer! I hope you get it sorted!
Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattj View Post
Can you get your tuner to take a video of the wastegate flapper at the end of the actuator arm to see if it is moving or binding? It really just looks to me like the wastegate arm is adjusted in a way such that it reaches the end of travel and then flexes the mounting bracket. It's either that or the wastegate is binding up on something.

Did the compressor housing get clocked during the install? If so, it may be possible to loose the compressor housing clamp and rotate it to a position where the actuator doesn't bind any longer.

That's a huge bummer! I hope you get it sorted!
I asked him about clocking the turbo. I wish I was a mechanic so I could understand better but I only do basic stuff on cars. This is his reply

He said the wastegate is bolted to the compressor housing and the housing is in the way they want it so it can connect to the UICP correctly. It's so close to the firewall it's hard to see anything back there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch

Old 05-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Splattj

He's absolutely correct. And it's that rotation of the housing that may be causing the actuator to hang up on something. They rotated the housing for the intercooler piping but that may have caused geometry problems with the wastegate actuator or it's hitting something as your video hints at. It could be something else as well, and you'll 100% know if he pulls the turbo.
If he clocks it back and tests the WGA again, it would be telling..... It may require some custom charge piping or you may end up with needing to switch an external wastegate. Either way, it's going to be expensive.
Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Metal_AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattj View Post
He's absolutely correct. And it's that rotation of the housing that may be causing the actuator to hang up on something. They rotated the housing for the intercooler piping but that may have caused geometry problems with the wastegate actuator or it's hitting something as your video hints at. It could be something else as well, and you'll 100% know if he pulls the turbo.
If he clocks it back and tests the WGA again, it would be telling..... It may require some custom charge piping or you may end up with needing to switch an external wastegate. Either way, it's going to be expensive.
Is this a common issue with the FullRace kit? Can someone with one chime in?
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #6
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyEvoX View Post
I asked him about clocking the turbo. I wish I was a mechanic so I could understand better but I only do basic stuff on cars. This is his reply

He said the wastegate is bolted to the compressor housing and the housing is in the way they want it so it can connect to the UICP correctly. It's so close to the firewall it's hard to see anything back there.
Even if they reclocked the compressor housing, they would have to unbolt the wastegate actuator to "move it"

As you can see in the pic here the compressor housing can be "rotated" freely as compared to the wastegate, as they are on separate components. The Compressor can be oriented via the V-Band, and the wastegate can be adjusted via bolts on the compressor wheel backing plate. If the shop rotated the whole CHRA, then that could throw off IWG can geometry.

The turbo should be removed, and the IWG should be properly clocked to the CHRA and turbine housing. Then the compressor housing should be rotated into the most ideal position. They do NOT connect up with OTS/Stock frame intercooler piping without a coupler and piping in between the turbo outlet and the UICP.

Plus, BW designed that wastegate flapper arm with a pivot in it to eliminate geometry issues as the arm is bolted to the flapper, and not on a "stud" You have any pics of the setup?
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
You have any pics of the setup?
These are the only pics I got of it.
One of the pics shows the line that's in the way to get to the clutch hence why they said the motor would need to get dropped to do the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2861.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	279880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2860 (1).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	849.2 KB
ID:	279882  

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Old 05-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #8
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

Also this was before we decided to go with a Turbosmart acuator might I add.

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Old 05-18-2019, 01:16 AM   #9
MannyEvoX
Just Spooling Up

We think we figured out the problem. He was able to take the Turbosmart wastegate actuator out and it seems it is faulty. It won't open for nothing, even putting it in a wise and pulling on it didn't work. So he said he'll warranty that and next day it on Monday.

ETS Intake
AGP Dual Exhaust
MAP UICP
Depo 4' IC
Grimmspeed EBCS
HKS BOV
Comp stage 3 clutch
Old 05-18-2019, 01:18 AM   #10
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

looking again at your video, the only things I can surmise is 1 of 3 scenarios

1 - wastegate flapper arm is binding internally in the turbo
2 - wastegate can is not opening enough, causing overboost (can't relieve pressure)
3 - wastegate preload is outrageously high, causing a reduction in arm travel

All 3 scenarios will require the WG/turbo to be removed. it needs to be looked at again.

You may get lucky if they can unbolt the front and rear mounts and pull the engine forward. You wont be able to do much work other than preload adjustments, but this way you can disconnect the wastegate arm end, and check to see if the fault lies within the turbo itself or with the wastegate position/preload. I believe BW states to set the gate up with approx. 2 turns after flush to get a good base preload. I'd have to look at the EFR paperwork I have on my other computer.

(Full race states 3 complete turns, each turn =1mm of movement)

Last edited by turismolover22; 05-18-2019 at 01:22 AM.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement