Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

SSP's Giant Front Mount SST Trans Cooler

8K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  kozmic27 
#1 · (Edited)
SSP has been working extremely hard to bring the SST market a complete transmission cooling solution package. Finally its here. SSP has developed a trans cooling system for the SST that not only looks great but is fully functional.

SSP has utilized a large front mount cooler with optional fan. SSP's transmission cooler is a external unit that works in conjunction with the stock cooler. The stock cooler is not removed and does not hurt your day to day driving. SSP's Pro Transcooler will come with many options to help to meet all of your cooling needs.

Pricing and options will be posted this week.

Options:

AEM external temp gauge
External high volume fan
Shallow Trans Pan
Deep Trans Pan
Upgraded trans oil
Inline oil filter
Thermostat switch (still in development)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll take one with the Deep Sump Pan, trans temp bung (no gauge needed), upgraded oil, inline filter and thermostat switch (like me know if you need help in devel there I'm good with that part)

I'll also need some bracket work for the JDM bumper which I'll share with everyone incase ppl do a switch or JDM guys want it ;)

THANKS SSP you guys seriously ROCK!

#5 ·
This looks much better than the one where they ran it to the back of the car. This works as a dual cooler so there should be a huge improvement.

#6 ·
thats more like it, definitely alot better than having the intercooler by the exhaust!

#22 ·
Correct.

The factory pump is mechanical. It is gear driven and works off of engine RPM. The factory location does not allow for enough air to flow over the cooler to make it efficient. The factory designed it with street driving in mind and not the track.

SSP Performance

#26 ·
I am not sure they don't use the factory pump. It does not say that.

From SSP:

"Options:

AEM external temp gauge
External high volume fan
Shallow Trans Pan
Deep Trans Pan
Upgraded trans oil
Inline oil filter
Thermostat switch (still in development)"

It is unclear. Maybe Kris can comment. Either way is fine with me or maybe both pumps.

#27 ·
It is most efficient running a external pump. Now there is no limitation that you cannot use the factory pump. It will not be as efficient as using a external pump. We have not tested for this, but it can be done. It would be as easy as changing out a few line fittings.

SSP Performance

#29 ·
Sorry, but I am not comprehending the whole story here.

Kris says "we have not tested for this". Does this mean not tested the stock pump or an external aftermarket pump?

So the Setrab 920 front mount works in conjunction with the stock cooler and utilizes its own lines you mention (TheSin). But this does not describe how the system is plumbed. So the in/out dash 8 lines of the 920 don't run in/from the stock cooler, but run parallel and split pre/post transmission? They are always working together or the new cooler is switched to come on when needed?

I appreciate all the comments. We will all benefit from this discussion.

#31 ·
You would be able to run this cooler in place of the stock cooler. We would have to just modify a few fittings. It should work very well with the stock oil pump. You will have better cooling if you use a inline oil pump over the stock pump. There is a more constant flow to the cooler.

SSP Performance

#32 ·
You would be able to run this cooler in place of the stock cooler. We would have to just modify a few fittings. It should work very well with the stock oil pump. You will have better cooling if you use a inline oil pump over the stock pump. There is a more constant flow to the cooler.

SSP Performance
I would immagine that running it in line with the stock cooler, using a inline oil pump to supplement it, would result in best cooling. I do not know what the pressures we are talking about in the cooling lines, but I can't immagine its very much. I think that running the coolers seperate, with seperate plumbing would be overly complicated, and totally un-necessary. I honestly don't think the transmission gives a crap whether there are 2 or 5 or whatever coolers in line, as long as enough fluid is flowing through the coolers to keep the fluid cooled and moving. Other than for fan control, I don't even see a need for a thermostat. I know that B&M makes a pretty fair trans cooler with a housing that is very similar in design and capacity (to Setrab), with a thermostat bung already in it.

However....if this cooler is sufficient in place of the factory cooler, then MR owners no longer have to be limited in choice of intercooler cold pipes, giving us a much more flexibility there. Just having fans alone would make this cooler better than the stock one. Placing it where it can actually get air...well that is just a bonus.

Oh, and hurry the hell up with making this thing a kit already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.