MAPerformance High Capacity Oil Pan V2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Elite Merchants > MAPerformance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

MAPerformance MAPerformance

Old 01-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
Maperformance
[Elite Merchant]

MAPerformance High Capacity Oil Pan V2

MAPerformance High Capacity Oil Pan V2

As many of you may be aware, some months ago, we (Modern Automotive Performance) discontinued our high capacity oil pan for the EVO X. The primary reason we discontinued our oil pan revolved around the original casting process and the associated costs. Our Gen 1 High Capacity oil pan was cast using a method that has a lower tooling cost but, the individual price per unit is higher, which, forced the individual part cost higher. When the part cost is higher, the end retail price is, logically, higher as well. This was reflected in our original retail price point of 499.00 per pan. One of the tricky things that happens, when a part is priced high, is that it becomes difficult to understand the need or demand for the product because the price, itself, might be driving the demand down. This seemed to be confirmed when, shortly after the discontinuation, customers started calling in, asking where the oil pan was or why the listing could not be found.

Working on the premise that the original cost of the part was essentially causing customers to look past our oil pan solution, we went back to the drawing board. After research, consideration and a lot of negotiation, I believe we can bring our high capacity oil pan back into production. The production method we propose using would involve a style of high production tooling that would produce parts lighter, more dense and stronger, and allow for more design flexibility… this means we would essentially be starting virtually over, from scratch, to develop a Gen 2 high capacity oil pan for the EVO X.

We would incorporate the same features that made our Generation 1 pan popular...namely, higher capacity, strength and removable gated baffles that are superior to the OEM design and help reduce oil slosh, but we would be able to cut down on weight and potentially add some new features to this pan to make it more functional AND reduce cost to the end user. Tooling cost is EXTREMELY high… much higher than we have experienced with previous products...which brings me to the point of this post.

I would like to be able to answer three critical questions:

1) If we were to redesign the oil pan, what, if any, features would anyone want added?

2) How many people would commit to an oil pan knowing the first batch ETA would likely be anywhere from 6-9 months?

3) What is the price point for this product that makes sense?

I believe I can answer the last question… the original product was 499.00… and I would target AT LEAST a retail cost of 399.00 to feel like I had done my job. Does anyone have any feedback to provide on that topic?

Question number 2, I believe, could be done in the way of group buy. What if I were to suggest that the first orders/group buy would be eligible for up to 40% off the suggested retail price? That would get the product landed at a proposed cost of 199.00 per unit… that is actually just right around the cost of the OEM oil pan!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maperformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
LeesEvoX
Forum Lackey

Does the turbo oil drain go straight into the pan?

If so, it would be great if something could be done to relocate, for us guys with an ATP GTX35R turbo to stop the smoking issue. Which I believe is caused by a crappy drain design from the factory.

Apart from that, price at around $400 seems doable.

If aometji g could be do e to fix the crappy drain design I'd be all over it lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2013 PB Evo X GSR- Kozmic Built 2.0l (stock Sleeves) Kelford 214-b cams/Brian Crower titanium springs & retainers/ Wiseco forged pistons/Manley TT forged Rods/ETS Tubular Manifold/ETS Intake W/ Custom 3.5" MAF/ETS 4" IC/ETS UICP/Synapse DV/ID2000's
and a GTX3576R

Tuned by Kozmic @ 500awhp & 365tq (E85)
Blown Ringlands, Its what makes Subaru, a Subaru
LeesEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 02:39 AM   #3
razorlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesEvoX View Post
Does the turbo oil drain go straight into the pan?
It's incorporated into the block engine girdle, right above the pan. The smoking issue you have is from the return line, not the block.

I have the original MAP oil pan and it's seriously worth every.single.penny. Between the MAP oil pan and the MAP oil cooler (setrab) my car now takes a little over 6.5qts of oil. I have piles of logs from track use with ZERO oil pressure problems in high G, high grip WOT turns.

Worth every penny.

razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
LeesEvoX
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
It's incorporated into the block engine girdle, right above the pan. The smoking issue you have is from the return line, not the block.

I have the original MAP oil pan and it's seriously worth every.single.penny. Between the MAP oil pan and the MAP oil cooler (setrab) my car now takes a little over 6.5qts of oil. I have piles of logs from track use with ZERO oil pressure problems in high G, high grip WOT turns.

Worth every penny.
Thnx razor. Wasn't sure. I have a moroso pan for the extra capacity.

Its just this shitty turbo pissing oil

2013 PB Evo X GSR- Kozmic Built 2.0l (stock Sleeves) Kelford 214-b cams/Brian Crower titanium springs & retainers/ Wiseco forged pistons/Manley TT forged Rods/ETS Tubular Manifold/ETS Intake W/ Custom 3.5" MAF/ETS 4" IC/ETS UICP/Synapse DV/ID2000's
and a GTX3576R

Tuned by Kozmic @ 500awhp & 365tq (E85)
Blown Ringlands, Its what makes Subaru, a Subaru
LeesEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesEvoX View Post
Thnx razor. Wasn't sure. I have a moroso pan for the extra capacity.

Its just this shitty turbo pissing oil

Put a larger drain on the turbo to help alleviate that. Also ensure that you don't have excess crank case pressure. I have been told there have been issues with the moroso pan, but that is more fitment than anything.

The MAP pan looks to be a great design.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 08:52 PM   #6
Maperformance
[Elite Merchant]

As mentioned above, the EVO X factory return line routes to the mid case/block and not the oil pan.

Working from the hypothesis that the ATP/Garrett Turbo options smoke due to oil draining issues caused by poor or inadequate return line design/location... placing the return line lower (routing to oil pan) would cause more issues.

That being said, I do not believe that the oil return location is the primary cause of oil smoke... I believe crankcase pressure and oil slosh to be the most prevalent causes. Slosh is harder to test for, but crankcase pressure can be determined by noting the amount of smoke emanating from the tailpipe at the same RPM loaded versus unloaded. If smoke emanates more prominently during load, then you are likely looking at crankcase pressure issues.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
Maperformance
[Elite Merchant]

But I am currently green lighting the Gen 2 production of our oil pans... project timeline will likely be 9 months... I will do my best to reel that in

Old 02-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
hotdog
Dr. Evo?

I'm glad this is getting greenlit. While I don't 'need' an oil pan currently, for the sheer low (comparatively, compared to, say, a built SST or something) cost and high potential gains, I think this is a logical purchase for a lot of people.

It's just not sexy and exciting, so people won't be 'showing off' their oil pans, which probably makes selling them to the 'moron' crowd harder.

I'm running a decent amount of MAP stuff now; downpipe, UICP/LICP, intercooler, and everything you guys make is top notch. Keep it up.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #9
AJV555
n00b

I'm definitely interested.
AJV555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement