Is My Evo X Dead? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 05-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
GaijinEvoX
n00b

Is My Evo X Dead?

Hi all. I think I have to finally give up on my Evo X, but really don't want to, so any pointers or advice to what might be causing problems would be seriously appreciated.

To give you a quick lo down. I got my 2008 GSR Evo X on the 20th of October last year from a Japanese car auction (Yes I live in Japan). The car is heavily modded and done a little under 70k miles. The mods are clearly extensive, but I don't know all the details, besides cosmetic, shocks, exhaust, cam, and having the ECU worked on.

I promptly drove the car back from the auction without noticing too many problems, seemed a bit sketchy in automatic, but shifts etc were fine in manual and I didn't see any issue with power or obvious problems. Basically after driving back for 4 or 5 hours or so on various roads and motorways my conclusion was that it just needed dialing in, mapping and some ecu work, I certainly wasn't too worried. Anyway in less than a week of having the car back I went down to the local supermarket and when I cam out the car was dead.

It was almost as if the battery was dead. After trying myself to get it started I gave up and called a local garage I use for basic routine maintenance. They tried to jump start etc, but in the end gave up and took it back to the garage. After a while they concluded the the car was basically F**ked and gave up on it. I spoke with some mates who know a lot more about cars than I do and they said they would be very surprised if the problems were that major without any prior symptoms (my thoughts exactly). Something was clearly a miss, but as the local garage is a bit of a small Micky Mouse operation I decided to send it to Mitsubishi.

The Car is now still at Mitsubishi, and it seems they clearly can't fix the problem either. It's been over 6 months now and I'm at the end of my tether. The conclusion from the first garage was the as the engine wasn't holding compression, it was broke, and therefor they were done with it. It seemed they jumped to this conclusion without first trying some basic fixes. I'm also a little worried that these guys may have done more damage than good. They said they reset the ECU and clearly tinkered with other stuff. After a while at Mitsubishi the conclusion was that the ECU was broke (somewhat logical), so I forked out for a new ECU, but still no fix. They said after changing the ECU it was trying to start, but basically still wasn't firing. Starter motor my first thought?

I've got my second kid due to be born at the end of June and am up to my neck in it with work, so as much as I'd like to get my car fixed and drive it, it's also come to the point where I feel like the Mitsubishi guys aren't going to be able to fix it, and after over six months I should cut my losses and just sell it.

Sorry for the long ramble. Any help would be really genuinely appreciated.
GaijinEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
Splattj
Just Spooling Up

Odds are if the car is heavily modified you have larger injectors and would immediately end up with a no-start condition with an ECU reflash to stock as well as with the new ECU.

Your only option here is to get the car to a shop that can go through the mods, set up a new tune, and go from there. You'll want a tuner shop and not a repair shop.
Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
TSX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinEvoX View Post
Starter motor my first thought?
Doesnt sound like a starter issue. More like ignition.
As mentioned above, you're likely wasting your time at mitsu.
Where do you live in Japan, there are tons of reputable tuning shops, but ideally try and found out where the car was built.

Failing that, find a tuner that builds evos and have them start from scratch.
TSX101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 AM   #4
GaijinEvoX
n00b

Sorry for the late response, babies sometimes come earlier than expected!

Thanks for the input. It's on it's way to a recommended tuner in Nagano (biggest city near me).

I'm going to try and speak with those guys and give the the low down first.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers
Old 06-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #5
TravisF
Just Spooling Up

How long did it take you to drive to the supermarket? Was the engine warmed up or was it still cold?

How long were you inside before you came out and tried to start it?

These cars have a huge issue with running extremely rich until the engine is warmed up, and if you shut it off before it's warmed up you run the risk of the cylinders being flooded with gas and a really hard time getting it to start back up.
TravisF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
GaijinEvoX
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisF View Post
How long did it take you to drive to the supermarket? Was the engine warmed up or was it still cold?

How long were you inside before you came out and tried to start it?

These cars have a huge issue with running extremely rich until the engine is warmed up, and if you shut it off before it's warmed up you run the risk of the cylinders being flooded with gas and a really hard time getting it to start back up.
Only a 10 minute drive there, and I couldn't have been inside much more than 10 minutes. I'd have thought the guys who had looked at it would have picked that up?
Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
ugakirk

Any news from the shop yet?
ugakirk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
GaijinEvoX
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugakirk View Post
Any news from the shop yet?
Not yet. I'm hoping to get down there at some point this week.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #9
GaijinEvoX
n00b

So the shop got back - They're called "Boss" based in Nagano city. The web site is ap-boss Basically they said best case scenario would be ¥500,000 and worst case ¥1,000,000. They believe they need to start tearing down the engine to find the problem, so essentially they are going to rebuild the engine, and based on the fault it'll cost X, the lower estimate is for a standard rebuild.

They based their assumptions on the cell motor not moving, i.e they can't move it by hand, which they should be able to apparently. I have no idea on this. But at this stage I don't want to drop that kind of money on it, so am thinking I'll get it back and sell it as is, which really sucks!

I'm still not convinced it isn't something more simple, but they seem to make a sound argument for it not being electrical.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #10
ugakirk

How long has it been since it ran?
ugakirk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement