Wondering about driveabiliy in hot climate vs cold climate - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 08-28-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
irmerm
Forum Lackey

Wondering about driveabiliy in hot climate vs cold climate

So, I picked up my X in late May and it's been crazy hot down here in TX. I'm talking 100+ degrees almost every day. Keeping this in mind, I have really not had the chance to drive the car much under 80 degrees ambient temperature. What are the differences in the way the car drives between hot and cooler outside temps?
(I have a pretty good idea that it's "better", looking for first hand experience with specifics if possible)
K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
irmerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 04:07 AM   #2
weebles
[Local Team Member]

well the average "hot" day where I live is about 82-85F and my car runs like garbage when it's that hot.

65 and lower you really feel a BIG difference in power.
BMW 135i - 3'' Vrsf catless downpipes - Agency Power resonated midpipes - ETS intercooler - BMS Dual cone intake - BMS charge pipe - BMS Meth kit - JB4 G5 ISO + Opensource backend flash - 437whp 496wtq
weebles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
irmerm
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebles View Post
well the average "hot" day where I live is about 82-85F and my car runs like garbage when it's that hot.

65 and lower you really feel a BIG difference in power.
your hot day is what we get at night. looking forward to winter already (when our warmer days still hit 80)
K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
irmerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
MOB EVO X
X-phile

Speakin of hot days. Today was hell in LA. It was like 105 all day long. And I drove like a 100miles and car ran like shit. I cant wait for the winter
MOB EVO X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
weebles
[Local Team Member]

Well in the winter here it's get as cold as -40f so it has perks and down falls!

Although this car is super fun in snow ;D drifting rally style every where ahaha
BMW 135i - 3'' Vrsf catless downpipes - Agency Power resonated midpipes - ETS intercooler - BMS Dual cone intake - BMS charge pipe - BMS Meth kit - JB4 G5 ISO + Opensource backend flash - 437whp 496wtq
weebles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
pcasso87
Forum Lackey

Big ass intercooler + Aftermarket Radiator + oilcooler + super mega vented hood FTMFW!!!!! It has been really hot , i think with these mods our car would run much better in the hot days. Maybe some twin electric fans as well, i was just kidding about the hood part BTW.

Last edited by pcasso87; 08-28-2009 at 07:58 AM.
pcasso87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
TargeT
Just Spooling Up

the car has a lot more power when its cold, thats for sure.

frozen in alaska
TargeT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
KoreanEvo
X-phile

i think turbo charged engines are more prone to lose power due to heat than na engines. i forgot where i heard this from so correct me if i'm wrong.
KoreanEvo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
hotdog
Dr. Evo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanEvo View Post
i think turbo charged engines are more prone to lose power due to heat than na engines. i forgot where i heard this from so correct me if i'm wrong.
It's just a fact. Hot air is worse for all motors, but the fact we're so dependent on forcing air in from the turbo makes it even more painful.

I haven't driven mine in the "cold" yet, so I don't know what exactly to expect. I always felt my WRX was stronger when it was raining, as the TMIC got wet and therefore cooler. Could be imagining it, though.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
kiadaw
Just Spooling Up

On top of the hot air, if you need to on the air-condition, that's additional power ( & fuel) lost.

If you don't on the air-con, but wind down the window instead, you introduce drag to the car.

Not to mention the engine runs hotter.

Anyway you spin it, hot weather isn't good for car.
Advertisement