LED headlights anybody tried - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Vanity
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Vanity Discuss body kits, wings, interior mods, etc having to do with the appearance of the Evo X. Do NOT post detailing threads here.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:32 AM   #11
r34p3rex
[Local Team Member]

Subbed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
r34p3rex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #12
JohnConer

Got any updates for us, scsibob?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JohnConer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #13
jayt27
n00b

Sub'd for updates
jayt27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #14
scsibob

sorry have been busy with work and moving things around
LED light will be ordered this weekend i think i know the ones i am getting now.
scsibob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 12:04 AM   #15
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Any update man? Looking to get the new Style leds myself.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #16
hogig
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanEvo2012 View Post
Any update man? Looking to get the new Style leds myself.
bump.
hogig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #17
Diode Dynamics
[Approved Merchant]

Hello everyone,

Just posting some quick info. We constantly have customers ask about using LED bulbs in low-beam headlight applications, like the FR-S. I just took these shots for a customer, to show them why the LED bulbs currently on the market are still not a good option, even when using a halogen projector, like those found on the FR-S. Just thought some of you may appreciate this comparison!

Most companies selling these products for low beam application show very poor comparison pictures, where they are washed out so you can't actually see the beam pattern. They claim that the output is good. The real pictures below tell a very different story.

Cutoff doesn't matter. Many companies justify that the output of their LEDs is OK, just because there is a cutoff line. Sure, you don't want light sprayed everywhere, but more importantly, you need light focused properly. As you can see, the factory halogen light is focused into a very tight beam, with a hotspot right at the center, which shines light far down the road. This is key to performance and visibility. You want all of the light focused right in the center, with a small area to the sides also illuminated, and just a bit below.

Total lumen numbers don't matter ...unless it's focused. Many sellers claim high lumen numbers, telling you the output is higher than halogen. In reality, the total output is usually about the same as halogen, and sometimes it's a bit higher. But since it is not being focused where it should be, the end result is that your visibility will decrease. It doesn't matter how much light you have if it isn't going in the right direction. As you can see, if you use an LED bulb for your headlights, you'll get some light output, but it will not shine very far down the road because it is not being focused into a hotspot at the proper location.

Just for comparison, we included a standard HID output. With HID, you get a focused beam, and a lot of light, so there is indeed a significant improvement in visibility. However, you do add quite a bit of light everywhere as well, including some on the top end. The main problem with HID is when it is installed into reflector housings, and the factory optic cannot direct this extra light properly. However, the projectors in the FR-S are quite good.

Summary: when you're looking at your low beams, an upgrade to OEM HID headlights is the best option, but an HID conversion is still a much better choice in terms of output and visibility compared to the LED bulbs on the market.

Of course, these LED bulbs are still a great option when you don't need focused light- such as high beams or fog lights. But there is still a long way to go before they are suitable for low beams.

Paul
Product Development
Diode Dynamics

These pictures were taken with the car about 8 feet away. A filter was added to more easily show intensity, but that was the only modification. I think this is a very clear representation of the performance of LED bulbs.

Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #18
llDemonll

LED's shouldn't be in projectors. Yes, they work, but projector headlights are designed for 360* light output from the bulb which LED's cannot do. I'd stick with HID's in any projector application
llDemonll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2015, 02:38 AM   #19
stanley92
Just Spooling Up

I had them on my evo for half a year with depo headlights and they work perfectly! My friends say its as bright as HID's just without the annoying flickering issues. Never had a issue when driving at night.

stanley92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #20
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

^ But what about the specifics of the bulbs? The bulbs I see are all witha huge fan that don't fit Evo X headlights since they are enclosed.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement