Thought on my sst rebuild by Kozmic - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System > SST
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

SST Post all topics about the SST transmission here.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
landis

Thought on my sst rebuild by Kozmic

First off I am no way associated with Kozmic other than a customer. I gave my car over to a shop to have the motor rebuilt. It had a bunch of bolt-on and was tuned to 380hp/360tq. It ran very well and was a ton of fun to drive. the tuner always told me there was more power there but the trans wouldn't be safe with additional tq. I had the motor rebuilt because of low compression across all 4 cylinders. Turned out to have a bent rod. It is a pretty basic build, forged internals, stock block and reworked head with cams. Since the trans had to come out anyway I figure it was time to get it rebuilt to handle more TQ. This is a trans that wasn't showing any problems and only had 16K miles on the engine and trans. Once the trans made it to Kozmic and was found, it got lost for a week while they were moving shops. When we discussed the problems with the trans, I mentioned 3 things, shift flare between 1-2, shift flare between 3-4 and lack of temperature during daily driving. It was only operating betweem 80-100 degrees F. On the track it would run 210-220 in a 1/2 hour session. To remedy that they installed a pan with coolant running through it. To add more holding power the current clutches and steels were inspected and found to be in good shape and they added a few more it increase the TQ limit of the trans. The normal fixes were done, magnet on the 4th gear shift fork, billet caps in the valve body and all there other little changes. They installed the trans in their test mule and came back to report that the valve body pressures were on the lower limit of acceptable, around 9K. They said they like to see around 12K. We discussed it and they sold me a new valve body and made the same changes installed it and put it through testing again and this time it came out at 14k for pressures. They did all this additional work without extra cost as long as I bought the valve body from them. Well worth it. The trans was shipped back and reinstalled in the car. From the time the trans left the tuner shop to the time it returned was about 6 weeks. That didn't see overly long and could have been shorter if the trans didn't get misplaced and the valve body didn't need to be replaced. Overall very happy with that experience. So now for the crucial question, how does the trans work?

The car was tuned with help from Kozmic to get everything adjusted properly. Unfortunately the Turbo is failing and won't hold boost and only make about 21psi above 5000 rpm. Number are 374hp and 350tq. However on the road I can tell you the power comes on much harder and the car pulls like a train. The transmission is excellent, temperature comes up quickly and is very stable between 160-180. No more shift flares and really good hard shifts. When my wife drives the car she leaves it in normal mode and it is still nice and soft for her. She doesn't even realize how strong the car is. At this point the only problem is the trans does an unrequested down shift when at WOT. If doing a pull in 4th it will rev to about 5K rpm, downshift to 3rd pull to redline and then shift back to 4th. I haven't been to the track with it yet so haven't been able to test 4-5 or 5-6 shifts. I just won't go that fast on public roads, 120 on the empty highway is my limit. TO be honest I still owe my tuner some logs so he can look at them and share them with Kozmic to come up with a solution.

To remedy the bad turbo on the car, it is getting an AMS 705XP kit over the winter. The tuners guess is with this setup the car should make 525 hp/450tq. Again tuning to the trans limits. He thinks there is actually more power than that in the car, but reliability it paramount to me.
landis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
MR. EVO MR
Just Spooling Up

Im thinking of shipping my EVO to Kozmic, would you do it again with them if you had another EVO?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
landis

Certainly. So far I am very happy with there service. What kind of problems are you having?

Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 AM   #4
DD X
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by landis View Post
First off I am no way associated with Kozmic other than a customer. I gave my car over to a shop to have the motor rebuilt. It had a bunch of bolt-on and was tuned to 380hp/360tq. It ran very well and was a ton of fun to drive. the tuner always told me there was more power there but the trans wouldn't be safe with additional tq. I had the motor rebuilt because of low compression across all 4 cylinders. Turned out to have a bent rod. It is a pretty basic build, forged internals, stock block and reworked head with cams. Since the trans had to come out anyway I figure it was time to get it rebuilt to handle more TQ. This is a trans that wasn't showing any problems and only had 16K miles on the engine and trans. Once the trans made it to Kozmic and was found, it got lost for a week while they were moving shops. When we discussed the problems with the trans, I mentioned 3 things, shift flare between 1-2, shift flare between 3-4 and lack of temperature during daily driving. It was only operating betweem 80-100 degrees F. On the track it would run 210-220 in a 1/2 hour session. To remedy that they installed a pan with coolant running through it. To add more holding power the current clutches and steels were inspected and found to be in good shape and they added a few more it increase the TQ limit of the trans. The normal fixes were done, magnet on the 4th gear shift fork, billet caps in the valve body and all there other little changes. They installed the trans in their test mule and came back to report that the valve body pressures were on the lower limit of acceptable, around 9K. They said they like to see around 12K. We discussed it and they sold me a new valve body and made the same changes installed it and put it through testing again and this time it came out at 14k for pressures. They did all this additional work without extra cost as long as I bought the valve body from them. Well worth it. The trans was shipped back and reinstalled in the car. From the time the trans left the tuner shop to the time it returned was about 6 weeks. That didn't see overly long and could have been shorter if the trans didn't get misplaced and the valve body didn't need to be replaced. Overall very happy with that experience. So now for the crucial question, how does the trans work?

The car was tuned with help from Kozmic to get everything adjusted properly. Unfortunately the Turbo is failing and won't hold boost and only make about 21psi above 5000 rpm. Number are 374hp and 350tq. However on the road I can tell you the power comes on much harder and the car pulls like a train. The transmission is excellent, temperature comes up quickly and is very stable between 160-180. No more shift flares and really good hard shifts. When my wife drives the car she leaves it in normal mode and it is still nice and soft for her. She doesn't even realize how strong the car is. At this point the only problem is the trans does an unrequested down shift when at WOT. If doing a pull in 4th it will rev to about 5K rpm, downshift to 3rd pull to redline and then shift back to 4th. I haven't been to the track with it yet so haven't been able to test 4-5 or 5-6 shifts. I just won't go that fast on public roads, 120 on the empty highway is my limit. TO be honest I still owe my tuner some logs so he can look at them and share them with Kozmic to come up with a solution.

To remedy the bad turbo on the car, it is getting an AMS 705XP kit over the winter. The tuners guess is with this setup the car should make 525 hp/450tq. Again tuning to the trans limits. He thinks there is actually more power than that in the car, but reliability it paramount to me.

Hi

Did you get the downshifting problem sorted?
DD X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
landis

The turbo in my car is toast, swapped the turbo and waiting to get a new tune. Update the post once the new tune is finished.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
landis

I have the tune sorted on the new turbo setup and the car shifts like a dream. All of the problems causing the downshift were tune problems. I would now recommend Kozmic without reservation. The heated oil pan is a great addition, giving me oil temps in the 150 degree range. engine oil temps run around 210.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:35 AM   #7
Strider327

Quote:
I have the tune sorted on the new turbo setup and the car shifts like a dream. All of the problems causing the downshift were tune problems. I would now recommend Kozmic without reservation. The heated oil pan is a great addition, giving me oil temps in the 150 degree range. engine oil temps run around 210.

Hi Landis:

Can I ask how the original motor got low compression on all 4 cylinders? It seemed like you were in the safe range with torque and power. Just curious on how it happened. Were you abusing the vehicle?

Thanks
Strider327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2018, 02:16 AM   #8
Cyp
Forum Lackey

What clutch packs did you have Kozmic install?
Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #9
landis

The low compression on the motor happened during the initial e-tune with my first set of bolt ons. The original map supplied had not taken into account the grimspeed EBC. IT overboosted the motor and bent one rod and cause the rings to leak. This was discovered during a tune at a shop and there was a compression test done to test the health of the motor. I had the motor retuned, but the shop was a subie shop and they did a terrible tune. Went for a third tune to correct the subie tune and the car ran well. Decided to have the motor torn down to see what was wrong, and when the machine shop found a bent rod, all the internal were replaced with forge pieces. Also had the trans rebuilt since it was acting up a little. One of the clutch options offered was to just add some stock clutch disc and steels. The original disc and steels were in excellent condition and just reused. At this point I couldn't be happier with the car, tons of power for the street and excellent street manners, good on the track but over heats quickly. Planning on additional water and oil cooling upgrades over the winter.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:44 AM   #10
Strider327

Quote:
The low compression on the motor happened during the initial e-tune with my first set of bolt ons. The original map supplied had not taken into account the grimspeed EBC. IT overboosted the motor and bent one rod and cause the rings to leak. This was discovered during a tune at a shop and there was a compression test done to test the health of the motor. I had the motor retuned, but the shop was a subie shop and they did a terrible tune. Went for a third tune to correct the subie tune and the car ran well. Decided to have the motor torn down to see what was wrong, and when the machine shop found a bent rod, all the internal were replaced with forge pieces. Also had the trans rebuilt since it was acting up a little. One of the clutch options offered was to just add some stock clutch disc and steels. The original disc and steels were in excellent condition and just reused. At this point I couldn't be happier with the car, tons of power for the street and excellent street manners, good on the track but over heats quickly. Planning on additional water and oil cooling upgrades over the winter.

Thanks for the clarification. Who eventually got the final tune done for you? If you could share your experience that would be great.

Thanks
Strider327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement