'13 Evo MR first SST ownership woes - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System > SST
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

SST Post all topics about the SST transmission here.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
clutch1
n00b

'13 Evo MR first SST ownership woes

My roomie finally bit took the plunge and bought his 'dream car' and of course we were all excited. A '13 Evo MR, dark blue, 52k on the clock, all stock. Pretty sweet!
I think he had it for about 3 weeks, and then yesterday (Friday the 13th!!) he stopped at a stop sign, check engine light popped on, threw the dreaded P1833 code and loss of even gears. I was helping him out with some google-fu and I see what we're up against is probably nothing more than a darn piece of plastic/magnets that came unglued from the shift fork.
I can't help but let out a sigh, and after reading a ton of threads with people who've had the same experience. I think I even saw one thread at 16k! But certainly a ton around the 60k mark.
What started out as an exciting dive into the world of dual clutch transmissions (my GF had one in her Mini S.. but we don't talk about those, LOL) looks like it's going to be frustrating!
I've been researching a ton, and am on the fence about tackling the actual trans rebuild myself. Looks 'simple' if you have all the information you need, but certainly nothing like a 700R4 or a T5 gearbox..
I'm leaning towards the idea of sending it out to a professional. I'm in central WI and I've seen Jacks Transmissions online touting a pretty good resume' for SST rebuilds. Also those folks in Australia who have some invaluable videos on youtube, but I don't forsee sending a trans overseas!
Anywho, just looking for advice from others who may have gone through this same frustration, and recommendations on shops/companies to work with for the rebuild to make sure this thing doesn't fail again in another 52k.

Cheers.
clutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
aaronspeed
Just Spooling Up

Shep in Ohio. He does a great job and he rebuilds 3000 whp GTR transmissions. Shep has supported and build SST transmissions from the beginning and supports the DSM Shootout every year in Norwalk Ohio with Buscher Racing. Great company that does great work and close to WI.
aaronspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2018, 11:47 PM   #3
mrcynkilla

I had this problem with my '14 earlier this year at 65k. Mitsu knew what they were doing with the 60k powertrain warranty. They know how long that glue lasts on the shift forks.

I sent mine to Jack's. I considered using Shep, but I'm in California and Jack's was closer. I've put 8k on it since getting it back from Jack's. It works great but things feel different at certain times and it makes me nervous because we all know how freaking sensitive the SST can be. I'd still recommend Jack's. Check out their website; lots of details and answers to your questions there. It'll run you about $5k.
mrcynkilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
KozmicMotorsports
[Elite Merchant]

Your fork 4 magnet likely has come loose and is likely moving around. Trans needs to come apart to fix this. It is a fairly common failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8967 Gilder Rd. Suite A
Houston, TX 77064

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

281-890-4772

SST 1/4 mile [email protected](stock ecu)
Stock Evo [email protected](record)
Stock RAturbo [email protected]
KozmicMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Ghost 2.2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
My roomie finally bit took the plunge and bought his 'dream car' and of course we were all excited. A '13 Evo MR, dark blue, 52k on the clock, all stock. Pretty sweet!
I think he had it for about 3 weeks, and then yesterday (Friday the 13th!!) he stopped at a stop sign, check engine light popped on, threw the dreaded P1833 code and loss of even gears. I was helping him out with some google-fu and I see what we're up against is probably nothing more than a darn piece of plastic/magnets that came unglued from the shift fork.
I can't help but let out a sigh, and after reading a ton of threads with people who've had the same experience. I think I even saw one thread at 16k! But certainly a ton around the 60k mark.
What started out as an exciting dive into the world of dual clutch transmissions (my GF had one in her Mini S.. but we don't talk about those, LOL) looks like it's going to be frustrating!
I've been researching a ton, and am on the fence about tackling the actual trans rebuild myself. Looks 'simple' if you have all the information you need, but certainly nothing like a 700R4 or a T5 gearbox..
I'm leaning towards the idea of sending it out to a professional. I'm in central WI and I've seen Jacks Transmissions online touting a pretty good resume' for SST rebuilds. Also those folks in Australia who have some invaluable videos on youtube, but I don't forsee sending a trans overseas!
Anywho, just looking for advice from others who may have gone through this same frustration, and recommendations on shops/companies to work with for the rebuild to make sure this thing doesn't fail again in another 52k.

Cheers.
If you're going to ship it Kozmic Motorsports hands down.
Ghost 2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
Cyp
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcynkilla View Post
I had this problem with my '14 earlier this year at 65k. Mitsu knew what they were doing with the 60k powertrain warranty. They know how long that glue lasts on the shift forks.

I sent mine to Jack's. I considered using Shep, but I'm in California and Jack's was closer. I've put 8k on it since getting it back from Jack's. It works great but things feel different at certain times and it makes me nervous because we all know how freaking sensitive the SST can be. I'd still recommend Jack's. Check out their website; lots of details and answers to your questions there. It'll run you about $5k.
What did you have done to the transmission? Any aftermarket parts? Iíll have to do mine eventually
Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #7
Maudsquad171
n00b

Kozmic Motorsports has tons of experience and knowledge in regards to the SST, definitely trust them if your able to ship it.
Maudsquad171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #8
Maudsquad171
n00b

Picking up a 2015 EVO X MR this week, hopefully i don't run into the same issue!
Maudsquad171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement