Issues with my 2008 MR SST - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System > SST
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

SST Post all topics about the SST transmission here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
Eagle1903
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 17
Issues with my 2008 MR SST

Dear Friends,

First of all, I would like to state that I/we are based in Istanbul/TURKEY and unfortunately we have almost zero service support from local Mitsubishi over here. Luckily, I am a managing partner of a workshop which can handle extensive mechanical work including engine and gearbox builds etc etc. In the past, we have fully prepared and rallied Evo8,9s and also rally serviced Xs. However, we are not experienced neither with the SST nor with the ECU mapping kind of work. Currently, we do not own a MUT3 or PassThru Can + Tactrix system but this is another subject which I will mention and kindly ask your advice further in this thread.

I am having the following issues with my own stock 2008 MR SST’s gearbox ( 65.000 miles ).

Me and my son ( mostly him ), we have been driving our X since we have bought at 55.000 miles. We found out that the previous owner has serviced the car with Motul SST oil and a new filter recently prior to our purchase and we have not changed the oil since then.

When we bought the car there was a slight clutch slip which I could call also a kind of shaking during the initial roll and little bit from 1. To 2. Gear.

Then, lately the SST developed a rattling noise easily audible when the engine is idling. The noise gets kind of decreasing when the rpm increased but that is only due to engine noise is masking the rattling noise. I have not been driving the car for a while and my son told me that this noise started some time ago. Today, I took the car out for a test drive.

Normal mode light load easy test drive up and down with the auto gear changing showed not a significant slip. Sport mode in a more sportier drive also did not show up any issues to worry about and it even felt firmer gear changes up and down. Meanwhile, I have covered approx. 10 kms or so. Then I stopped and engage the Sport mode ( the car has the SS mode from the factory ) and pushed it hard thru the gears. But, I have lost the “ even “ gears and the SST was reluctant to change down, it kind of stuck on the 5th until I was down to 20-30kms of road speed. Then I tried accelerating and it was also reluctant to raising the gears but when I pushed It did by jumping the even gears. Something was seriously wrong. I pulled over and switch off the engine and started again. Even gears came back but certainly the slip was very prominent now. I drove back to workshop mainly on the Sport mode which the gear selection was OK. I did not try the SS mode again. However, I have noticed that even the roll out at the traffic lights was producing very significant slip.

We have a simple diagnostic device which connects to the car via the OBDII and it showed the code 1879 but since the this diag. Device is not something that I could rely on on the Evo X, I am not sure if there are any other codes which I am not able to see.

It seems that my clutch pack is gone. But, what else could be wrong ? What kind of repair and repair procedures waiting me ?

For example, if I buy a quality uprated clutch pack ( thinking about power increase in the future ) from Kozmic or another reputable supplier then as the car being a 2008 model how am I going to install without having the “ teach-in” capability or without having the PassThru Can ?

I have lots of concerns but as being quite far away from the nearest service somehow we have to service our SST. Therefore, I would very much appreciate your help and advice to find the best direction towards the repair.

Also, I have read lots of posts regarding the PassThru Can and Tactrix but I am confused and I am not sure which is the latest update on the procedures to install the software to my computer and run the PassThru Can successfully.

Thank you.
Kerem
Eagle1903 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Eagle1903
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 17
Hi RS200Z,
Thank you very much !!! I have received your PM but unfortunately I am not able to reply to you via the forum system due to the fact I don’t have enough posts.
So, I am unfortunately unable to reach you.
Best regards
Kerem
Eagle1903 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
AiZ
Just Spooling Up
 
AiZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
iTrader: (0)
Location: South FL
Posts: 291
https://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=242274

There's some information there on this code. Why it's only doing it in Super-Sport is hard to tell for me, but the "losing odd gears" issue has been well documented in the forums.

The shift fork magnet likely came out of spec and is "loose" in the arm, or is clogged with metallic debris as mentioned by Eric in the thread I posted.

The fact the transmission was serviced with Motul DCTF gives that theory a bit more weight too. I don't think your problem is strictly clutch related (although the clutch also be on its way out) but the fact you're losing the even gears is a bit more involving than just replacing the clutch basket.

What you could do is try to flush the transmission with mineral oil, then replace the fluid with Diaqueen SSTF, which is OEM Fluid and the only thing Kozmic recommends (they won't warranty their SSTs if you use anything else). Since you're in Turkey it might not be available there, but in Europe and South America it's Castrol BOT 341, and I believe Castrol Transmaxx Dual in Australia that Mitsubishi dealerships use for servicing the transmission.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...sst-trans.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...sst-fluid.html

If the issue is just a clogged or dirty magnet, I've read some have had success with a flush + refill. If not... then you will probably have to get the transmission rebuilt and the magnets repaired.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!
__________________
2011 WW MR -
MHI 18k / ID 1300x / Walbro 450 / WTF Tuned Flex Fuel Kit / Cobb Hard Pipes / Tial QRJ / ETS Intake / ETS Recirc Downpipe / ETS HFC / Invidial Q300 / DrivenFab Recirculated AOS
Chris Carbee Tuned on Tephra v3, making 400 horsepower to all four wheels, because that's the only place power should ever be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
Eagle1903
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiZ View Post
https://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=242274

There's some information there on this code. Why it's only doing it in Super-Sport is hard to tell for me, but the "losing odd gears" issue has been well documented in the forums.

The shift fork magnet likely came out of spec and is "loose" in the arm, or is clogged with metallic debris as mentioned by Eric in the thread I posted.

The fact the transmission was serviced with Motul DCTF gives that theory a bit more weight too. I don't think your problem is strictly clutch related (although the clutch also be on its way out) but the fact you're losing the even gears is a bit more involving than just replacing the clutch basket.

What you could do is try to flush the transmission with mineral oil, then replace the fluid with Diaqueen SSTF, which is OEM Fluid and the only thing Kozmic recommends (they won't warranty their SSTs if you use anything else). Since you're in Turkey it might not be available there, but in Europe and South America it's Castrol BOT 341, and I believe Castrol Transmaxx Dual in Australia that Mitsubishi dealerships use for servicing the transmission.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...sst-trans.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...sst-fluid.html

If the issue is just a clogged or dirty magnet, I've read some have had success with a flush + refill. If not... then you will probably have to get the transmission rebuilt and the magnets repaired.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!
Hello AİZ,
Thank you very much for your reply and the valuable links. I will certainly look into oil issues and flushing the box with Mineral Oil. Kozmic's flushing method with 1,5 gallons but twice sounds a good idea.

As I mentioned in my post, when I lost the even gears in the SS mode I have switched off the engine and re-started and drove back to workshop. When I restarted and driving back in the Normal and Sport mode, the EVEN gears came back and the STT changed gears up and down without problems but certainly there was a " slip " almost everywhere. But gears was engaging at least.

Could you think of any reason/s for the rattling noise from the gearbox I was clearly hearing at idle ?

By the way, I forgot to mention ( if it can have relevance to my SST issues ): Our car's speed limiter is set at 160 km/hr from the ECU but of course we can lift the limit.
Eagle1903 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
AiZ
Just Spooling Up
 
AiZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
iTrader: (0)
Location: South FL
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1903 View Post
Hello AİZ,
Thank you very much for your reply and the valuable links. I will certainly look into oil issues and flushing the box with Mineral Oil. Kozmic's flushing method with 1,5 gallons but twice sounds a good idea.

As I mentioned in my post, when I lost the even gears in the SS mode I have switched off the engine and re-started and drove back to workshop. When I restarted and driving back in the Normal and Sport mode, the EVEN gears came back and the STT changed gears up and down without problems but certainly there was a " slip " almost everywhere. But gears was engaging at least.

Could you think of any reason/s for the rattling noise from the gearbox I was clearly hearing at idle ?

By the way, I forgot to mention ( if it can have relevance to my SST issues ): Our car's speed limiter is set at 160 km/hr from the ECU but of course we can lift the limit.
Hmm, when you say slip - is the transmission slipping while in gear, or during shifts? Slip is "normal" in Manual and Sport because of lower clutch pressure, which provides smoother shifts and this is by design. If there's excessive slip though, that's definitely a concern. And if it slips while in gear, that's definitely bad.

Some level of rattling from the transmission is normal, that's clutch chatter; it spooked me as well when I first heard it, but the SST is quite noisy but honestly I don't have enough experience with other cars to tell you if what you're hearing is normal or not.

I don't want to make too many suggestions because my SST knowledge is limited to reading forums and talking to other MR owners, but my theories are:

1) Your clutch could be done and worn out beyond repair. This could explain why the gears cycle fine in Normal and Sport, but not S-Sport; the lack of clutch pressure in those modes would allow for more slip, which gives the TCU/ECU more lenient tolerances in the time it takes for the gear to engage. In S-Sport, it may expect the gear to engage very quickly and because it's slipping too much it disables the Even clutch pack

2) OR it could be that the increased clutch pressure of SS + excessive slip caused by a worn clutch is raising the temperature in the even clutch pack high enough that it disables it to avoid further damage.

3) Your clutch is still in good shape but the use of aftermarket fluid is preventing optimal clutch pressure from being achieved and it's causing extra slip.

It's possible driving for X-amount of miles with number 3 caused the clutch to wear out faster thus resulting either 1 or 2.

Or like mentioned before it really could be that one of your shift fork magnets is loose or about to fall off. IIRC Kozmic has stated that aftermarket fluids cause a reaction with the epoxy that holds the shift fork magnets in place, making the glue brittle and prone to failure.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...833-cel-3.html

This may also be relevant. First he lost 4th gear, then the odd gears a while later. Turned out to be a shift fork problem.

Like I mentioned take it with a grain of salt I'm just throwing out ideas your way so you can get a better picture. Getting in touch with a respectable SST shop is your best to getting it resolved quickly.
__________________
2011 WW MR -
MHI 18k / ID 1300x / Walbro 450 / WTF Tuned Flex Fuel Kit / Cobb Hard Pipes / Tial QRJ / ETS Intake / ETS Recirc Downpipe / ETS HFC / Invidial Q300 / DrivenFab Recirculated AOS
Chris Carbee Tuned on Tephra v3, making 400 horsepower to all four wheels, because that's the only place power should ever be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
Eagle1903
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiZ View Post
Hmm, when you say slip - is the transmission slipping while in gear, or during shifts? Slip is "normal" in Manual and Sport because of lower clutch pressure, which provides smoother shifts and this is by design. If there's excessive slip though, that's definitely a concern. And if it slips while in gear, that's definitely bad.

Some level of rattling from the transmission is normal, that's clutch chatter; it spooked me as well when I first heard it, but the SST is quite noisy but honestly I don't have enough experience with other cars to tell you if what you're hearing is normal or not.

I don't want to make too many suggestions because my SST knowledge is limited to reading forums and talking to other MR owners, but my theories are:

1) Your clutch could be done and worn out beyond repair. This could explain why the gears cycle fine in Normal and Sport, but not S-Sport; the lack of clutch pressure in those modes would allow for more slip, which gives the TCU/ECU more lenient tolerances in the time it takes for the gear to engage. In S-Sport, it may expect the gear to engage very quickly and because it's slipping too much it disables the Even clutch pack

2) OR it could be that the increased clutch pressure of SS + excessive slip caused by a worn clutch is raising the temperature in the even clutch pack high enough that it disables it to avoid further damage.

3) Your clutch is still in good shape but the use of aftermarket fluid is preventing optimal clutch pressure from being achieved and it's causing extra slip.

It's possible driving for X-amount of miles with number 3 caused the clutch to wear out faster thus resulting either 1 or 2.

Or like mentioned before it really could be that one of your shift fork magnets is loose or about to fall off. IIRC Kozmic has stated that aftermarket fluids cause a reaction with the epoxy that holds the shift fork magnets in place, making the glue brittle and prone to failure.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...833-cel-3.html

This may also be relevant. First he lost 4th gear, then the odd gears a while later. Turned out to be a shift fork problem.

Like I mentioned take it with a grain of salt I'm just throwing out ideas your way so you can get a better picture. Getting in touch with a respectable SST shop is your best to getting it resolved quickly.
Hi again,

The slip in my case was rather an excessive “slip “ in the gear on my way back to the workshop after the “lost even gears” incident.
I have first lost the even gears in the SS mode but then after switching the engine off and on again, even gears restored and I was able to drive in the Normal and Sports modes as usual but this time with an excessive slip.
After the “ rattling noise “ developed ( my son has been driving the car for some time ) I wanted to take it to a test drive and I pushed it in comparison to my son’s regular highway driving. Due to his driving style he didn’t notice any significant slip but noticed the rattling noise and asked me to test. This is all how it has started.
Your theories 1,2 and 3 seems valid but I believe the fork magnets still in place since switching off/on gained the lost gears and the SST was acting normal in terms of gear selection but the excessive slip.

As I mentioned, we are capable of dismantling the box to a certain extent but we DO NOT have the hands on knowledge when it comes to judging if the clutches worn out. And at this moment, the teach-in is the most challenging part since I have neither the Mut3 nor the Passthru Can in hand. But, I have ordered the Tactrix and will try to install Passthru Can and see if I can make it work as explained in the forum by the other members.
I beleive even if the clutches need replacing when I get the basket done I will somehow have to get the teach-in performed. Unfortunately, we know noone capable and/or successfully able to do teach-in over here so I have to my own solution to the teach-in.
Again, many many thanks for your replies and trying to help me. I do appreciate it. Have a good weekend.

Last edited by Eagle1903; 01-26-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Wrong meaning, “ not “ was missing
Eagle1903 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
AiZ
Just Spooling Up
 
AiZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
iTrader: (0)
Location: South FL
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1903 View Post
Hi again,
As I mentioned, we are capable of dismantling the box to a certain extent but we DO NOT have the hands on knowledge when it comes to judging if the clutches worn out. And at this moment, the teach-in is the most challenging part since I have neither the Mut3 nor the Passthru Can in hand. But, I have ordered the Tactrix and will try to install Passthru Can and see if I can make it work as explained in the forum by the other members.
I beleive even if the clutches need replacing when I get the basket done I will somehow have to get the teach-in performed. Unfortunately, we know noone capable and/or successfully able to do teach-in over here so I have to my own solution to the teach-in.
Again, many many thanks for your replies and trying to help me. I do appreciate it. Have a good weekend.

If it turns out to just be a bad clutch, you can remove the clutch basket and send it to one of the shops who can rebuild it. I know of a few in the US who could, and MRT Performance in Australia who could help you out as well. I know there is a shop in Russia but it's hard to find information on them; they've posted a couple of videos of their SST but that's all I can get. You could also get a new clutch pack or basket from Mitsubishi of course.



Then you can reinstall the clutch basket to specs and go from there.


WTF Tuned has a remote Clutch Teach-in SST service, if you want to look them up. Honestly, if you have someone on site with average computer skills installing the Pasthru-CAN application and using it with a Tactrix cable is fairly simple. I did a teach-in of my SST late last year and besides having to restart the process a few times, which seems normal, it went through fine.


In any case good luck, hope it's just the clutch - that'd be the easiest and least expensive thing to fix.
__________________
2011 WW MR -
MHI 18k / ID 1300x / Walbro 450 / WTF Tuned Flex Fuel Kit / Cobb Hard Pipes / Tial QRJ / ETS Intake / ETS Recirc Downpipe / ETS HFC / Invidial Q300 / DrivenFab Recirculated AOS
Chris Carbee Tuned on Tephra v3, making 400 horsepower to all four wheels, because that's the only place power should ever be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
Eagle1903
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiZ View Post
If it turns out to just be a bad clutch, you can remove the clutch basket and send it to one of the shops who can rebuild it. I know of a few in the US who could, and MRT Performance in Australia who could help you out as well. I know there is a shop in Russia but it's hard to find information on them; they've posted a couple of videos of their SST but that's all I can get. You could also get a new clutch pack or basket from Mitsubishi of course.



Then you can reinstall the clutch basket to specs and go from there.


WTF Tuned has a remote Clutch Teach-in SST service, if you want to look them up. Honestly, if you have someone on site with average computer skills installing the Pasthru-CAN application and using it with a Tactrix cable is fairly simple. I did a teach-in of my SST late last year and besides having to restart the process a few times, which seems normal, it went through fine.


In any case good luck, hope it's just the clutch - that'd be the easiest and least expensive thing to fix.
Many many thanks once more !!!
Since my last post, we have dismantled the SST and already found two broken parts from the mechatronic unit which is related to the 1879 code we believe. I will try to post the photos here.
In our SST, the damper is not openable/servicable ( it is welded- I think earlier was like that - but some companies open, service and welded back ). When you shake it, there seems to be little too much rattling inside but I can not judge if that much rattling is normal or not since I haven’t seen a brand new one.
Meanwhile, Tactrix has arrived and we will attempt to install Passthru Can so once the SST is rebuild/repaired, we will be ready to do the teach-in. Fingers crossed on that one.
Since the SST is open, we have measured the thicknesses of the clutches and steel plates but we don’t have to original thicknesses to compare if they are worn out or not. Anyhow, they are done 60.000 miles and I would like to replace them probably with a Stage 1 or 2 clutch pack as I have plans to increase the bhp/torque in our MR.
I also came across with the Ukranian company who sells parts for the SST but as you mentioned there is not much information about them whereas the USA companies especially Kozmic seems to have a very good reputation and some comprehensive rebuild packages and parts.
Best regards

Last edited by Eagle1903; 01-29-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Spring cover was a wrong definition so changed to “damper”
Eagle1903 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
Eagle1903
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 17
Broken parts from the mechatronic block
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A98DB217-7F06-4732-96B1-9C6B47B17369.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	279448   Click image for larger version

Name:	71E94D6D-47FA-41A5-B43D-8620B94B7ABC.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	279450  
Eagle1903 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
MR. EVO MR
Just Spooling Up
 
MR. EVO MR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 161
Without tuning Most likely your new trans will self destruct when you install it.
__________________
[
MR. EVO MR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EVOX GTX3576R GEN2 SST YEAR 2011 440whp dj2004 Evo X Dyno 5 02-08-2019 06:41 PM
SST New Mechatronic Coding/VIN Write Issues manfredo SST 0 12-20-2018 02:21 PM
SST Specialist in Malaysia/Singapore Cocoloco SST 1 12-03-2018 02:01 PM
Speed camera in Italian town issues 58,568 tickets in two weeks testdummy Automotive News, Articles & Pics 0 11-21-2018 04:40 PM
SOLD 2008 GSR 100K miles + parts. Well maintained. bruteevo Automotive For Sale 2 10-30-2018 09:44 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.