Modification plans and ideas / start to finish what to do and in what order - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Old 06-04-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
hollywood_X
[E-Tuner]

Exclamation Modification plans and ideas / start to finish what to do and in what order

So with the ever growing endless amount of threads on what mod should be done next I figured what the hell I might as well start another.
This first post is my list on what I would do if I knew what I do know a year ago.

Everyone else can post there own list of what they would do in order and maybe we can sticky this M.F. and stop clogging the forum arteries with an abundance of "what do I do now posts"

Now the non english speaking driver whom picked up my car from South Coast Mitsu just dropped the PBX GSR w/ SSS off in front of my house and I am as giddy as a school girl who just found her magic button.

The very first thing I would do at this point is;

1. Put on the Rally Armor mud flaps I pre ordered knowing how thin the paint was. "I really really wish this was my first mod"

2. Pull into the garage and change the oil in the car because I have no idea how long its been sitting in the car. While I am at it I check every other fluid level from transmission all the way back to the rear ASC container.

3. Since I pre ordered my new fuel relay I get it slapped into place for a little added security and then put the spare in the good old glove box.

4. I marry my AP to the car and flash on stage 2 LWG (YES you heard me right)

5. I drive pretty easy for about 3000 miles and change my oil again.

6. Install a down pipe with an extra bung for my wide band O2 sensor

7. Install Wide band and gauge as well as boost gauge

8. Install cat back exhaust (If you self tune you can install test pipe at this point as well)

9. Add drop in filter or intake and flash appropriate map on. (Intake dependent on future goals, if you want to do a larger turbo I suggest getting an intake thats 3" all the way to the turbo that includes a 3" MAF housing)

10. Drive like I stole the car for 3000 miles and change oil as well as tranny fluid.

11. Install Intercooler and upper / lower piping

12. One step colder plugs

13. Custom tune (If you want a test pipe install just before this tune if you don't self tune, I don't recommend running a test pipe with an OTS map unless you know how to log or tune) You may also think about having a Meth kit at this point as well depending on your end goals and available octane grade.

14. Go another 3000 miles driving like a retard / hitting the track / launching several times at the drags etc. Time to change oil again and clutch is starting to smell funny.

15. Install clutch appropriate for future mods, don't skimp you will regret it. Twin clutch for the big power guys and a good full face clutch with an upgraded pressure plate for the daily driver / spirited drivers.

Drive for a bit and start craving more power and since I have a good clutch I start to put my power upgrades together. If your a self tuner its a good idea to start with a little at a time. Depending on your goals for the future lets drop in a part or 2 at a time and start dialing them in looking for issues. Its better to do this than dump a bunch of parts in all at once and then start back tracking for whats causing this or that to happen. So that being said;

16. Injectors (Get them dialed in with the right scale and latency)

17. 3 port solenoid

18. Fuel pump (If going with 1000cc or larger injectors on a 60 lb/min turbo or if you are going with E85) since your injectors are dialed in you can now see if this new pump is causing you to run different fuel trims and adjust for them.

19. Turbo & upgraded actuator (Before you get to this point you probably should have planned your other mods based on this decision. Items like exhaust flow, and injector size may have to be changed if you didn't plan right. For choosing a turbo you need to understand what you want your car to do. Are you just chasing a dyno # or is there a purpose in mind like a specific type of racing.) Turbo selection can be an entire thread all its own but it comes down to what you want or need for goal / target.

20. Cams & springs

Now if your not a self tuner you will probably have to just drop your car off at a shop and have them do 16-20 for you all at once or send you basic maps as you install each. As for the turbo and cams I would do both at the same time since it would make sense to get it all done while your there and have it all apart. Its also a good time to do a header if your going that direction.

21. Stroker kit (Because at this point your going to need stronger rods and internals anyways)

I am sure there are things I have overlooked / forgot about but I will update as I remember. Now its your turn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hollywood_X; 06-04-2010 at 05:35 AM.
hollywood_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
scathe
Forum Lackey

I saw someone's what do I do next thread earlier and was actually thinking hollywood or somebody should make a thread with what parts and what order....
scathe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
hollywood_X
[E-Tuner]

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathe View Post
I saw someone's what do I do next thread earlier and was actually thinking hollywood or somebody should make a thread with what parts and what order....
Holy sheeet I read your mind

Old 06-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #4
cavasotti
X-phile

Why AP and not EvoScan/tactrix cable?
cavasotti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
hollywood_X
[E-Tuner]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavasotti View Post
Why AP and not EvoScan/tactrix cable?
Just because thats what I like and prefer, that part can be substituted for ECUflash.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #6
cavasotti
X-phile

I see.. I cant get my mind to accept the fact of paying $500 for that little thing.. :S
Maybe I will, one day, however.
cavasotti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
Captain-NOKTURNAL
Forum Lackey

nice hollywood.. but how about something for the sst daily drivers that just want some power and have no clue.. plus modding a gsr compare to an mr is different gains.. also some kind of idea of what to expect (hp/tq) would be nice.. well just an idea

Captain-NOKTURNAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #8
SkyFlakes
Forum Lackey

SkyFlakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #9
charon2123
Just Spooling Up

Maybe throw an alignment in there somewhere.

I would also put short throw shifter in as well, it does make a world of difference (my first mod).

Plan ahead for upcoming expenses, tires, etc...

If you are going to install stuff yourself, figure out the tools you will need (14mm U-Joint anyone?) before you need them. Buy them in little spurts to spread out the cost.

Make #6 an O2/DP ala Rexpeed or AMS etc... Don't forget to add lots of anti-seize.
charon2123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 03:10 AM   #10
fishstix
Forum Addict

They should just buy a bunch of mad JDM parts
Advertisement