Wastegate fluttering and only getting 14psi - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 08-31-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
t88supra
n00b

Wastegate fluttering and only getting 14psi

Hola community! I have a 2015 evo x gsr with a little over 21,000 on it. Bought it about 2000 miles ago and had to replace the clutch within the 1st 400 miles of getting it from carmax which of course they didn't cover. Anyway I only have the Cobb (SF I think) intake cone, Cobb electronic boost controller, accessport which from what I read I should of got the tatrix(doesnt sound right) instead. Also the ETS race pipe but the rest is stock exhaust. I put all that on when I did the clutch and had it tuned on the accessport to the stage 2 93octane. So about 500 miles after all the parts the boost starts fluttering around 14psi after I've been getting 28-29psi solid everytime. It's doing that with no matter what tune I put it on for my car stage 1 ,2, or 3. I'm a mechanic but dont know too much about turbo cars. I ran a smoke test and did the pressure test on the turbo intake and all that was good. I dont know what else to test out.
t88supra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 01:57 AM   #2
Haan

I have the Cobb SF intake and AP installed on my car and had a similar issue. For me it ended up being my WGA. Since I’m on the stock turbo the guys at AMS ordered a turbosmart WGA for me that’s more like the stock one and a little different from the ones online.

-Cobb AP Stage1+
-Cobb SF Intake
-Corsa Catback
Haan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
LeesEvoX
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeroe View Post
+1

Why dont u actually contribute to this forum, rather than adding your +1 to everything just to get your post count up.

Shit is annoying

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2013 PB Evo X GSR- Kozmic Built 2.0l (stock Sleeves) Kelford 214-b cams/Brian Crower titanium springs & retainers/ Wiseco forged pistons/Manley TT forged Rods/ETS Tubular Manifold/ETS Intake W/ Custom 3.5" MAF/ETS 4" IC/ETS UICP/Synapse DV/ID2000's
and a GTX3576R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tuned by Kozmic @ 500awhp & 365tq (E85)
Blown Ringlands, Its what makes Subaru, a Subaru
LeesEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
aaronspeed
Just Spooling Up

Sounds like you knocked the wastegate arm off the turbo. Seen this often when working on car and clothing reaching to the back hits the 'c' clip and arm slides off turbo.
aaronspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
turismolover22
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronspeed View Post
Sounds like you knocked the wastegate arm off the turbo. Seen this often when working on car and clothing reaching to the back hits the 'c' clip and arm slides off turbo.
Investigate your vacuum lines to the turbo and wastegate solenoids as well. If you are relatively unmodded, there will be two solenoids with vac lines to them, they will be tucked up by the positive terminal by the ECU, on the engine side (left when viewed from the front of the car) If its been modded it might have an aftermarket boost controller on it, which would then be the only unit that should have vac lines attached to it. Make sure those lines are intact and not split, and make sure they are secured and not popped off. There should be no line that "goes to nowhere"

The stock wastegate can will open up around 14 PSI. If your boost controller has failed, or if you have a failed boost controller solenoid (like a grimmspeed or COBB 3 port unit) they are designed to stay open all the time in case of a failure, as a fail safe. So check those as well and see what you can come up with.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
t88supra
n00b

Damn, I guess I didnt mention I put on the cobb 3 port boost controller on there too. I was worried that I might of reversed the 2nd and 3rd port vacuum lines but if I did, it wouldn't of functioned from the start, right? I have port 1 to the intake, 2 to the wastegate, 3 to the upper intercooler pipe where the old line was. I was confused because the instructions said the opposite of what I was seeing everywhere else I googled. I definitely dont have any leaks from those vacuum lines. I guess I'll put the stock, brown one I think back and retune back to stage 1 or 2 and see how it acts?
Old 09-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
t88supra
n00b

thank for the help also fellas...and ladies if any
Old 09-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
Metal_AF
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by t88supra View Post
Damn, I guess I didnt mention I put on the cobb 3 port boost controller on there too. I was worried that I might of reversed the 2nd and 3rd port vacuum lines but if I did, it wouldn't of functioned from the start, right? I have port 1 to the intake, 2 to the wastegate, 3 to the upper intercooler pipe where the old line was. I was confused because the instructions said the opposite of what I was seeing everywhere else I googled. I definitely dont have any leaks from those vacuum lines. I guess I'll put the stock, brown one I think back and retune back to stage 1 or 2 and see how it acts?
The port labeled #2 should be running to your boost reference source. Your compressor housing, not your wastegate. The ebc can't read your boost, and by default the solenoid is "Open".
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #9
t88supra
n00b

So then port 2 to in nipple coming off the upper intercooler pipe and port 3 to the wastegate? It definitely has to do with that because when I just put back my stock controller 10 mins ago and retuned to stage 2 , everything is back to normal. I'll hook the cobb back up and report back. Common sense process of elimination but I thought I'd ask you guys first before I fudge something up
Old 09-05-2019, 11:34 PM   #10
lolague
n00b

I had/have a similar issue, 2015 Evo X and troubleshot with my tuner.

1) check your vacuum hoses, make sure they are ziptied or clamped on good. If damaged they will need to be replaced. I believe @Metal_AF is correct on the vacuum hose connections on the aftermarket EBCS.

2) if you have a boost gauge run the source boost to your WGA, it should open at around 14. If it goes way above or way below 14 psi then its the WGA.

3) it could be a bad EBCS, contact the manufacturer for warranty.

I had my issue looked at by my tuner and its believed to be the WGA. We didn't have a spare WGA to test the issue but my tuner adjusted the tune. My issue was it fluctuated between 24-27psi at WOT. After tune it spikes to 27psi but drops down to 24PSI immediately and does not go higher.

There was another post last week about another 2015 X owner with the same issue with the WGA.
lolague is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement