Need advice on whether to install these parts I bought.. - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Old 04-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Erorus

Need advice on whether to install these parts I bought..

I've got a 2010 GSR. It's my daily driver. I don't track it, maybe I'll autocross a bit someday, but nothing serious.

I currently have an ETS v2 Quiet exhaust and ETS high-flow cat installed. I also have an AP, and it's flashed to the stage 2 map. Things are good.

With ETS's sale last Thanksgiving, I bought a few parts to install in the spring. I have, in boxes, the ETS intake, ETS 3" anodized intercooler, ETS UICP, and an AEM X-Wifi wideband.

I figure on the next warm sunny weekend, I can install the intercooler and UICP myself, no tune required. However, before the intake goes on, I figure the car would need to be tuned for it. I was going to find a tuner and have them install the wideband and intake and then tune it.

The more I think about it, though, I wonder if it's worth risking possible issues with my daily driver. Why spend the time and money to get it tuned, when the whole time after I'll have to worry about the AFRs and if it'll act up because of the tune, all just for a few extra HP that I don't use often anyway? I'm thinking about skipping all that, and putting the unused intake and wideband on eBay.

So, what do you think? I know that it's not your money, so you'll think, "oh, just spend it!" but really. I don't race it, and I want to keep it running as well as it has been. I'd hate to spend the money only to ruin it. Would going to a custom tune with an intake, IC and exhaust be as trouble-free and significantly more powerful than just staying with stage 2 AP, IC and exhaust?
Erorus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Chris'EVO
Just Spooling Up

Dude, you already bought all of the parts. You might as well install them and get a tune. That's what I did and my EVO runs great, we pretty much have the same mods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ETS FMIC/LICP
ETS V2Cat-back exhaust
ETS Test Pipe
ETS Intake
Speed Circuit UICP
Cobb AP
Rally Armor mudflaps
Eibach pro kit
MotionLab Protune
Chris'EVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
Demi
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erorus View Post
I've got a 2010 GSR. It's my daily driver. I don't track it, maybe I'll autocross a bit someday, but nothing serious.

I currently have an ETS v2 Quiet exhaust and ETS high-flow cat installed. I also have an AP, and it's flashed to the stage 2 map. Things are good.

With ETS's sale last Thanksgiving, I bought a few parts to install in the spring. I have, in boxes, the ETS intake, ETS 3" anodized intercooler, ETS UICP, and an AEM X-Wifi wideband.

I figure on the next warm sunny weekend, I can install the intercooler and UICP myself, no tune required. However, before the intake goes on, I figure the car would need to be tuned for it. I was going to find a tuner and have them install the wideband and intake and then tune it.

The more I think about it, though, I wonder if it's worth risking possible issues with my daily driver. Why spend the time and money to get it tuned, when the whole time after I'll have to worry about the AFRs and if it'll act up because of the tune, all just for a few extra HP that I don't use often anyway? I'm thinking about skipping all that, and putting the unused intake and wideband on eBay.

So, what do you think? I know that it's not your money, so you'll think, "oh, just spend it!" but really. I don't race it, and I want to keep it running as well as it has been. I'd hate to spend the money only to ruin it. Would going to a custom tune with an intake, IC and exhaust be as trouble-free and significantly more powerful than just staying with stage 2 AP, IC and exhaust?
Those are really tame mods. Youre fine. Go for it and enjoy it. Youre a long way off from risking reliability.
Build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

87.4% <- real time feed.
Demi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
mlambert890

Just install them and reflash to an intake map. I'm running similar mods with stage 2+AMS and it's fine
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Areck

IMO just install them there very "light" mods and wont effect reliability if anything it will improve it slightly because of the better air flow with the new intercooler and piping.
Areck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
on2it
Dr. Evo?

+1 to all of the above.

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Erorus

Thanks for the reassurance and the kick in the ass. I'll get the IC and UICP on (maybe tomorrow!) and set up an appointment for the rest.
Erorus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement